Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster these ACDeclco "additional usage" or "selldown" shocks have been available for a long time... way before ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: Rear Suspension/Shocks 2001 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    these ACDeclco "additional usage" or "selldown" shocks have been available for a long time... way before the bankruptcy
    (just fyi)
    It could be because Gabriel may be an OEM for AC Delco (at least for FE1) for a while. They've been making the HiJacker air-adjustable shock since 1967, according to their website. The tech guy I spoke with said the Ultra is the FE1 OEM too, on the Deville/DHS (00-05). I can't verify it, but may be able to if I purchase Ultras to replace the struts.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Very good. Mine doesn't do that...........and Gabriel must get a lot of "pop" questions if that sequence is "normal". That's quite a hard thump.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    .....and Gabriel must get a lot of "pop" questions if that sequence is "normal". That's quite a hard thump.
    You're right. With the usual Gabriel HiJacker application, the system is manually pumped via a regular tire valve (and stays that way until the user inflates them more to compensate for a heavier load or what not).

In the GM self-leveling application, the system exhausts. The drier must have some kind of role in the pressure, because the spring that comes in the kit is calibrated to allegedly corrects the PSI.

But if the system pops every time...it's got me thinking of canceling my order for Gabriels with the "repair" spring kit, and just getting the Monroes.... but I hear the monroe [front] struts are significantly firmer than OE. I wonder what kind of a balance rear monroes and front gabriels (OEM?) would create?

Currently, these Gabriels (I mean AC Delcos) are a little bouncy but the car handles really well with them, even with the soft, well worn-in stock front struts (that sometimes bottom out going over larger bumps). The Ultras in the front *should* restore the new-car feel, albeit always more bouncy due to the air-filled back shocks.

I wonder if the rears were originally manuf by Gabriel, because I read that Gabriels traditionally have had the "airbag" protected inside the metal casing, whereas Monroe has it on the outside just like the shocks I replaced did (and the rubber sleeve was cracked). Ugh... dilemmas... decisions. Any advice on that? Perhaps OE wasn't matched either... rears Monroe, fronts Gabriel ultra... that'd be odd. But it's all some kind of corporate secret (what supplier provides what etc).

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

we've never changed the spring when using the alternate ac delco shocks... so there's got to be something different about the gabriel shocks internally

are you sure they are the OEM for acdelco?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

we've never changed the spring when using the alternate ac delco shocks... so there's got to be something different about the gabriel shocks internally

are you sure they are the OEM for acdelco?
    Well there's no written confirmation but visually they are identical, as is the airline-kit baggie. When I talked to tech there was an air of "I know what you're talking about" and they may have mentioned it a couple of times that they were aware. However I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I was the one in trouble with the shocks and noone was there to provide any help (except them).

Yeah, hmm... well it's unlikely but maybe you and domino both got defects?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

It could be, but since 504-547 and the Gabriel branded HiJacker for this application both have the spring, I think it's possible that they dropped the ball with the 504-123 and forgot it's necessary.

It's also possible that the 504-123 may have a smaller air bladder with the purpose of being a direct-fit replacement, but that math calculation didn't go very well. I say, from their physical appearance, they're all the same exact shock absorber. If you had both in stock maybe you could see if there are any differences (other than the threaded line vs stock original)

AFAIK their GM applications are the only ones that come with the replacement spring in the kit.

I can't remember ever getting anything but just two shocks in our kits that we sell, but we sell the 504-123 most of the time, since when you factor in the extra labor required to make the others work it's basically a wash and you might as well get the OEM fitment in that case

if i recall correctly our 504-547 kits don't come with that gabriel air line kit (we've had to order it separately) but maybe that has changed - it's probably been a year since we've done one of those kits

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Maybe, but the symptoms that Mtflight was experiencing was EXACTLY the same thing I was going through. I have since went with the Monroe MA822's. In doing so, I did not have to use the drier spring and they work fine.

After taking off my ACDelcos, I was playing around with them by manually putting air through them and noticed that the air bladder on my passenger shock must not be "seated" correctly. It would hold air when fully extended, but would release air through mid travel sometimes. Since it is a covered bladder system, I cannot tell exactly "how" it seats on the shock.

I too have physically compared both the Gabriels and ACDelcos side by side at the store and they are IDENTICAL in every aspect except the air connector, which further supports Mtflight's statement that Gabriel is the manufacturer for OEM.

then why not use the same connector?
    i wish we knew the full story here

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

then why not use the same connector?
    i wish we knew the full story here
    That is the one hundred thousand dollar question!!! Had the Gabriels had the slip on OE connectors on it, I probably would have went that route. My only guess is that they probably went threaded to fit a wider application of vehicles.

It never surprises me how so many parts are interchangeable among vehicles from not only the same maker but different makers as well, but sell to us consumers unknowingly, and in many cases, the parts are listed as a higher price depending upon vehicle!

Dayum parts people!!!!! (Just messing with you Chris )

I would guess that the clip-on OEM style air line connector is patented or something and GM won't let them use it (or use it for cheap).

What really gets me is why ACDelco can't use it since their 'selldown'/'additional usage' part is the same as the Gabriel - but maybe that's just pricing again.

I would guess that the clip-on OEM style air line connector is patented or something and GM won't let them use it (or use it for cheap).
    The Monroe MA822s have the clip-on OEM style airline connector, and they cost less than the Gabriel Hi Jackers. I probably would've gone that way but I hear the Gabriel struts are smoother than the Monroes, so I took that route in order to match the front (currently OEM, next Gabriel Ultras) to the back.

bigtone is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I just put Monroes on the back of my 02 Devile 2 weeks ago, I think it rides great. Nice and smooth, which considering that the originals were totally shot, is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    I just put Monroes on the back of my 02 Devile 2 weeks ago, I think it rides great. Nice and smooth, which considering that the originals were totally shot, is impressive.
    I would've done the same as you, but I wanted to get OE, so I went with AC Delco (which happened to be a Gabriel Hi Jacker in disguise). I then noticed one of my lines was damaged, and since the OE lines are $$ to replace, I patched it with a Gabriel kit. Meanwhile, Monroe NEVER replied to ANY e-mails sent through their customer support form on their website. So I ordered Gabriels and they should arrive today, returning the ACDs as defective, because they don't fill up with air (the chambers are larger and require more air than the OE). This lack of air, causes the shocks to be very firm and very noisy (sounds like someone is knocking on the trunk). Gabriels come with a spring to be replaced inside the dryer, which I will replace and that will cause more air to be in the system, filling up the air bag inside the shock).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.