How to Water Pump Removal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, How to Water Pump Removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by JimD Just enough to allow a drip until I used a washer. I was not inclined to ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: How to Water Pump Removal

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Just enough to allow a drip until I used a washer.

I was not inclined to remove the new cover and put a micrometer on the bolt hole flanges.
    The new water pump flange at the bolt holes is 0.260" .

CaddieNewbe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Deville

Question Re: How to Water Pump Removal

My wife's 99 Deville just started dripping coolant on the driver side today. I read one post on this site where a member changed out a water pump in 35 minutes and another post where a second member took 5 hours. Can anyone provide a step by step procedure with some pics for the 99 model? How easy is it to gain access to the water pump to see if it is leaking? Does the water pump on the 4.6L engine have a weep hole like the 4.9L?

Quote Originally Posted by CaddieNewbe View Post
    My wife's 99 Deville just started dripping coolant on the driver side today. I read one post on this site where a member changed out a water pump in 35 minutes and another post where a second member took 5 hours. Can anyone provide a step by step procedure with some pics for the 99 model? How easy is it to gain access to the water pump to see if it is leaking? Does the water pump on the 4.6L engine have a weep hole like the 4.9L?
    The procedure is posted in here, Seville, and Northstar Performance (Engines) many times. Very difficult to gain access to the bottom of the water pump - flexible mechanics' mirror and flashlight is about the only way. No weep hole due to the nature of construction of the water pump capsule.

You need to either buy or rent the special large water pump socket - get/use the best, heaviest one you can find - the cheap stamped ones will not do the job. You remove the drive belt and unlock the pump capsule by aligning and torquing the socket clockwise 30 degrees. Have an assistant apply force to the socket wrench head to prevent the socket from jumping out of the pump lock grooves. (Some sockets come with a retainer strap which bolts over the socket, holding it in place.......) Replacement is the reverse, aligning the correct pump capsule tabs with the crossover slots and torque the pump counterclockwise 30 degrees to 73 ft/lb.

Thanks, submariner. I did find a small pinhole on the lower radiator hose coming out of the water pump but that is not the only leak I have. I strongly suspect the water pump is leaking because the driver's side frame of the car was splashed with coolant. How do I access the procedure from the Cadillac Technical Archive, simply type water pump replacement?

One more question - my service manual specifically says to use the DexCool orange coolant, yet my coolant is the typical green color. The manual also talks about the pellets that should be added every time the cooling system is serviced. I had the radiator flushed two years ago and the dealership used Coolant K (FP# BG6830) and Coolant 8.800 (FP# 12346290). Does the addition of the pellets cause a color change or did the dealership use the wrong coolant? I plan to call them on Tuesday, but I thought I would ask the question here.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check the Tech TIPS forum, not the Technical Archives at the top of the page.

Whatever coolant is used, the tabs will cause it to change to a muddy color. Don't worry about them, GM has quit using them. Obviously someone decided to use something other than Dex. No big deal, just change it every 2-3 years.

Thanks Ranger, I have another question. I cannot find a radiator drain valve anywhere. If I need to drain the coolant by removing the lower radiator hose where it connects into the radiator, I think I'll have a real mess on my hands. Do you or anyone else have any tips on how to do this?

Update your profile with your year and model so we don't have to go back to page one to find it.

The drain plug is on the drivers side. I am not sure if it is on the back side or the bottom of the radiator (they keep moving them around). If it is on the bottom, there should be a small access hole, but it's easier if you just remove the splash shield.

I was able to investigate further today and confirmed that the lower radiator hose is indeed the source of the leak. Under pressure, the coolant travels down the hose toward the radiator and drips and the motion of the car causes it to splash onto the frame.

I've looked for the drain valve on the drivers side and I see a small tube peeking just above the metal frame. I took a picture and it is attached. You can see a small drop of coolant forming on the frame. The tube is just above and to the right of the drop.

I looked from the top of the radiator and I can see a small black piece underneath the lower radiator hose connection. Look at the second picture. I can now see that if I remove the air box, I have access to this piece and maybe that will open the drain valve. Is this thinking correct? I hope so.
    Attached Images

That's the drain valve - it's right at the bottom rear edge of the driver's side radiator end tank. Some members make a tool to twist the valve from underneath.........

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you'd be amazed at how much volume of fluid can leak out of a pinhole that you can barely see when the system is under pressure
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Completed the repair. The bottom GM hose clamp was a little difficult but I managed and no leaks.

I decided to write a TechTip to help anyone else who does this repair because I didn't see one in the forum.

navytugboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS 100k

In defense of the "cheap" pump tool, I got one made by Lisle for $17. I've used it twice and had no problems. Until it doesn't work, I'll keep using it.

The first pump I changed was our 97 Deville Concours. I had my son print out the procedure at his shop. When it got to the part that said, "you'll need a special tool to remove the pump", I naturally said to myself, "Oh no I won't!"

After messing around for an hour or two and thinking that with my past antics I was likely to damage something, I finally went to get the special tool. It took about 5 seconds after I had it on the pump to get it off.

Lesson learned: After many years of screwing things up by thinking I can force the square peg into the round hole, I know myself well enough to know when I've been outsmarted by machinery.

DIS DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS 200k miles

I'm replacing the water pump on my 2003 Deville DTS. How do I know if I have the old cover or new cover?

If it's an '03 you have the new one.

Courtesy of Submariner409

DIS DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS 200k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If it's an '03 you have the new one.

Courtesy of Submariner409
    Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.