Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rear window regulator stuck in half up position - 2001 Deville

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  khdaniel 
#1 ·
I need some suggestions please on how to remove a passenger side rear window regulator from my 2001 Deville. I have read the excellent instructions on how to remove and replace the window regulator on this forum and so far it has been pretty straight forward until I tried to remove the window retaining clips on the regulator.

Here is my problem. I can't reach the nuts on the window retaining clips to loosen them and raise the window because:

1. The motor will not operate the window up or down.

2. I can lift the glass by hand, but only about 5 inches above the bottom of the window opening in the door frame with the regulator attached.

3. At this point the bottom cable on the regulator becomes tight, preventing me from lifting the window high enough to access the window retaining clip nuts.

4. This in my 1st attempt to repair a window regulator on my Cadillac and it appears my only option is to cut the bottom cable to allow the window to be raised to access the window clip bolts.

To all those wiser than myself on this subject.... is cutting the bottom cable my only option to free the window and close it? I had hoped to remove the regulator intact with the possibility of repairing it, but if I cut the bottom cable, I think I'll take away that option.

Just thought I would ask before I did anything that was rash and unnecessary. Any help, confimation or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.