93 Deville w/ service engine + anti-lock lights always on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 93 Deville w/ service engine + anti-lock lights always on in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Wife's mother has a 1993 Deville. "Service Engine Soon" and "Anti Lock" lights are always on. Local repair shop says ...
    93Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

93 Deville w/ service engine + anti-lock lights always on

Wife's mother has a 1993 Deville. "Service Engine Soon" and "Anti Lock" lights are always on. Local repair shop says no codes stored and says that it is a computer problem.
    Any suggestions? She needs to sell the car and I'm stuck with advertising and showing it to people...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 93 Deville w/ service engine + anti-lock lights always on

Well, youll need to check the OBD codes.... Search around, or goto www.caddyinfo.com and you will find how to retrieve them, and how to figure out what they mean..... The SES light does not come on for no reason...... Although, a compuer failure could be possible.......

93Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Well, youll need to check the OBD codes....
    As I said in first post - there are no codes stored - so none to display.

budjon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 93Deville
    Wife's mother has a 1993 Deville. "Service Engine Soon" and "Anti Lock" lights are always on. Local repair shop says no codes stored and says that it is a computer problem.
    Any suggestions? She needs to sell the car and I'm stuck with advertising and showing it to people...
    My 93 has the same issues, and the SSS light that won't go off.

I started running 93 octane in mine and the Service Engine Soon light quit coming on. Perhaps that will help with yours.

As for "anti lock" light, the book says to have it serviced as its not functioning.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

If the warning lamps are lit and there are no codes stored, there are a couple things to check.
    1. Make sure the modules are not losing total power at key off. If they are, then they will also lose their short-term memory and no codes will be stored.
    2. Do a system check to verify the systems are working properly. This will determine whether the modules are capable of storing recognizing faults and storing codes.

Yes it is possible that both modules are bad but hopefully not the case since they are not cheap to replace.

Opps, forgot one last thing to check. Even though it maybe unlikely, I've seen electrical shorts on the lamp circuit light the warning lamp even though the modules were not experiencing a problem.

Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Its a 93 Cadillac there are no OBD codes. OBD didn't start until 95-96.

With the key in the run position (started or not is fine) you have to press the Off and warmer buttons at the same time on the climate control panel for approximately 5-10 seconds, the car will enter diagnostic mode (you will notice when all the lights light up all over the dash) and begin to display codes on the FUEL DATA DISPLAY. IF 7.0 comes up that means there is no codes for the body control module, engine codes, or transmission codes (i think trans codes come up too). The letter(s) before the code number is very important, so be sure to include the letter and how many letters are diplayed so I can help you decipher what is wrong. The E series codes, ex E 40, that will be displayed are the engine codes. Please tell me any codes and I will tell you what they mean and how to fix them.

On the ABS.

The way to access the ABS codes is a bit more teadious. There is a 12 pin connector under the radio area by where your feet rest. There should be a rectangular hole and inside there you will see the connector

......|......
    .OOOOOO.
    .OOOOOO.
    |--------|

If you are looking right at the connector (keep in mind it is upside down and backwards because you will have to be that way to see it clearly, so make sure you print out this picture and place it the same way as the connector)

you need to ground (using a paper clip bent like a U is fine) the A pin to the H pin with the key off, then turn the key on (pin locations on illustration down below). The ABS lamp will illuminate then begin to flash. This flashing displays the codes. Example: 2 quick flashes a one second pause then 3 quick flashes is a code 23. Then there will be a 2 or 3 second pause indicating the next code (or same code if there is only one) will be displayed. If the light remains on and doesn't being to flash you have either picked the wrong pins (MAKE SURE YOU PUT THIS PICTURE THE SAME WAY BECAUSE THE CONNECTOR IS UPSIDE DOWN AND BACKWARDS) or there are no codes. In this instance it is very difficult to diagnose and very involved and probably might not be worth it for you.

......|....
    .OOOOOA.
    .OHOOOO.
    |--------|

email me at dzisblatt@si.rr.com for any help. I would be glad to help you

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Actually, the '93 DeVille (as with pretty much all 80's+ GM cars with a service enigne soon or check engine light) DID have ODB.... on most cars, it was when the light would flash and you count the flashes... but that is OBD.... the Caddy just has a glorified version (which is sweet) thanks to the LCD displays..... OBD-II came out in '96.... that is differnt... but pre'96 cars had OBD-I

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 93Deville
    You could always do what happened to me reguarding my Service SSS light,a nd just remove those bulbs completly... they'll never know until they take the dash apart :rolleyes2:

d000000000000000000d

obd = on board diagnostics

in 94 chrysler-2 connector had obd codes
    the p codes p0420 catalytic efficiency bank 1 code
    sorry buddy but gm, ford, blah had their own codes
    don't get an e 28 on a caddy haha

p.s. i never take the bulbs out.. it reminds me to fix it

o and btw when a engine light flashes with obd its a cylinder misfire code

p0300+

mbokishet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just a suggestion........look at rear wheel sensor and see if it has been knocked off.....happened to us twice when doing brakes. good Luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.