Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Whats A Good Muffler Choice?

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Ralph 
#1 ·
I have to replace the muffler on my 91 Deville, im a firm believer in "why keep it stock if i dont have to?"

Im a huge fan of the Flomaster 40 series dual chamber, but not sure that would be a good choice for this application??

I checked on youtube.com and seen some nice rides with "loud" mufflers, but im not after the "loud" sound, just a good flow, and maybe a slight sound.

Have any of ya changed from the stock muffler....if so, what did ya go with??

#2 ·
My opinion is that a straight through muffler sounds great on a 4.9, however lots of guys have Chokemaster mufflers on their 4.9's and like the way they sound. I don't, it comes down to personal preference. If you want flow, go with a straight-through muffler. Resonated tip(s) will help cut down on noise.

#7 ·
I agree it's 100% personal choice, however you said you wanted flow and not a bunch of noise, so I gave you my opinion from previous experience, and the testing from an independent site to back up my claims. Your car is your car and how you choose to mod it is up to you, most people give me crap for modifying my car to the extent I have so I know how it goes trust me.

I just wanted to put the facts out there.

#12 ·
Been out of the loop for a while, working on my car and other things. Hopefully I'm back for good now, should be getting a bunch of stuff for the DeVille within the next couple months to get it ready to race.

AFAIK, Magnaflow only makes straight-through style mufflers, so they should be okay.

I'd like to know more about these so called resonator "tips" because I don't see where there would be room to put one on if it is installed after the muffler but I heard that putting a second muffler where the cat was tones it down a bit more.
You can install resonators just about anywhere along the exhaust piping called Hemholtz Resonators, and keep the cat. I know of people who use a second glasspack muffler to quiet their exhaust further as well. The resonated tips are for people who use mufflers that don't have tips on them already. It's just like a regular exhaust tip, except it's built like a mini-glasspack.

#9 ·
Dynamax are supposed to flow pretty good, better than Flowmaster I read. IMO you don't have to spend a lot to get a kick ass sound and last month I put a Thrush turbo and removed the plugged up cat. I'll link my sound clip here in case you didn't see it.

I'd like to know more about these so called resonator "tips" because I don't see where there would be room to put one on if it is installed after the muffler but I heard that putting a second muffler where the cat was tones it down a bit more.

#11 ·
oh and one more thing. I like mine because it's quiet to mellow at cruising speeds. A little burble and that's it. Light accelleration from a red light produces a rumble but out of first gear it quietens down a lot but if you lay into it you get that cool machine gun sound, but you can learn to control it pretty easy in case the cops are in the next lane or beside you :p

#14 ·
Talked to the boys at Midas and they said they don't even stock the resonator tips because they don't really make a difference, but if they put a resonator in place of the cat, it would definately tone it down. He said they are bigger than a typical glasspack and it would be the total cost of the regular muffler.

Then I googled these tips and some people in other auto forums say they make a little difference, so who knows what to believe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.