Cadillac Owners Forum banner

98 DeVille rear end issues

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jpix 
#1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this has already been addressed, newbie here. Over the past few years I've noticed the back end of my 98 DeVille sitting quite a bit lower than the front, trunk empty. When I have 3 friends in the backseat, it's basically sitting on the ground. The dealership told me the back shocks were "leaking", but said I could get another 12,000 miles out of them. (?)

Lately, when I go over a bump in the road, or anything like it the back end of the car gets "loose" and slips away from me. Not having a mechanical bone in my body, is this related to the shocks, or another problem altogether?

Also - if anybody knows a quality Cadillac mechanic in Dallas I'm all ears. The dealership price to replace the shocks is very high, and the results of a google search on Cadillac mechanics in Dallas was less than impressive. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Lots of threads and posts concerning Electronic (or Automatic) Level Control, that system which uses the air bags on the rear shocks to compensate for loads in the trunk or back seat.

The older (6 years +) vehicles experience either shock boot failure - leaks - or exhaust valve/solenoid failure in the compressor assembly. Shock boots are deterioration while exhaust valve/solenoid faults are usually caused by condensation snot overpowering the included filter/dryer on the compressor.

The fix involves a thorough check of the compressor assembly (up inside the RR inner fender, inside the plastic liner), the air lines, and the shock boots.

To DIY you need the car up on a hoist with the rear wheels off - lots of crawling around and checks with soapy water for leaks; but if the compressor doesn't run at all - do its prove-out 6 seconds after START, then my money is on a failed compressor assembly.

When you say "not a mechanical bone.........", you're gonna reach for your credit card; no way around it.

#3 ·
Thanks, submariner for the input! I'm afraid I will have to reach for the credit card, because there's NO way I can do some of the tests mentioned in the other threads. In your opinion, would the feeling of losing control of the rear end over road imperfections be directly related to a bum electronic level control and/or shock leak?

Just trying to weed out what is real vs. B.S. when the dealer gets back to me with their "findings".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.