Auxilliary Blower Motor Resistor Location
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Auxilliary Blower Motor Resistor Location in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Re: Blower Motor Resistor Location New thread? Can't find where I'm supposed to enter a new thread? I have a ...
    kitccw2008 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille 2003

Question Auxilliary Blower Motor Resistor Location

Re: Blower Motor Resistor Location

New thread? Can't find where I'm supposed to enter a new thread?

I have a Cadillac Deville 2003 and the front blowers start when they feel like it so no air or A/C. I have been told by ' O' Reilly's ' auto spares that the blower motor resistor needs replacing. Fair enough so I got one. Where is it? and is it easy to replace? Yep they didn't know where it is on a Cadillac - not their fault I doubt they get asked very often.

I'm informed it's held in place by two bolts and according to the 'Haynes' manual wiring diagram it appears to be connected to the Auxiliary Blower Motor which is located behind the central Dash Board Consul is that where the resistor has to be accessed?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Auxilliary Blower Motor Resistor Location

Quote Originally Posted by kitccw2008 View Post
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]Re: Blower Motor Resistor Location

New thread? Can't find where I'm supposed to enter a new thread?
    Looks like you found it.
    I have a Cadillac Deville 2003 and the front blowers start when they feel like it so no air or A/C. I have been told by ' O' Reilly's ' auto spares that the blower motor resistor needs replacing.
    Your year model does not use resistors to control blower motor speed.

Diagnosis begins with displaying the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Here's how:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sevilles.html

Tell us which "B" (for Body) codes you see.

jmf1964 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville, Silver

My 04 does the same thing I found that the plug on the motor is loose. If the blower won't start I just lean over and give the hush panel where the blower is a little tap and the blower starts right up.

OK I'm getting very conflicting information about the auxiliary blower motor location and whether or not it has a resistor that can or cannot be replaced.

Auto spares places say there is one on here I'm told there isn't one and the Haynes manual is as clear as mud as to the actual location of the motor itself and makes no mention of a resistor even for earlier year models.

The vehicle I have is a Cadillac Deville 2003 4.6 with a 32 valve North Star V8 engine. Cadillac want me to take it to a service center. No chance of that after one of their mechanics changed the rear set of brake pads instead of the front ones. I did the job myself once I became aware of the error. (The sound of grinding metal gave it away).

Would someone please clarify where the motor is located and how to access it. One source says it behind the center consul another states it's behind the passenger consul. Only one can be right surely.

An earlier response to this post stated that there is no replaceable resistor as it is integral to the motor on the 2003 model. So it is looking like I will need to get a replacement motor.

Sorry to appear so dumb.

Kit:

OK I'm getting very conflicting information about the auxiliary blower motor location and whether or not it has a resistor that can or cannot be replaced.
    In your post #1, you were asking about the "front blowers". Now you are asking about the auxiliary blower. Talk about conflicting information.

For the record (again), your year model does not use resistors to control blower motor speed. Believe whatever information source you will, but this is a Cadillac owners board and some of us have the appropriate (Helms) Service Manuals available and even know whereof we speak.

Read post #2 and tell is what "B" codes you have.

OK here are the codes I've been asked for:

IPM B0249 History
    IPM B0429 Current

Just so you know my 2003 Cadillac Deville does have an Auxiliary Blower Motor Resistor. I actually went looking to see if there were any cables that had become disconnected. I did the following:

1. Removed the divers side knee bolster.
    2. Removed the passenger side knee bolster
    3. Removed the upper center grill panel.
    4. Removed the four bolts securing the lower center panel.
    5. Disconnected the electrical connector to the lower center panel.
    6. Folded back the carpet in the passenger side of the center panel to give access to the Auxiliary Blower Motor Resistor.
    7. I removed the two bolts holding it in place.
    8. I disconnected the wiring.

I replaced the resistor with a new one Just in case this was part of the problem. Unfortunately this did not correct the problem I'm having.

I did not find any disconnected cables.

If you would like me to provide you with a photograph I would be quite happy to do so.

Kit

OK here are the codes I've been asked for:

IPM B0249 History
    IPM B0429 Current

Just so you know my 2003 Cadillac Deville does have an Auxiliary Blower Motor Resistor.
    Mea culpa. Pass the ketchup so I can eat my words.
    I was going on memory instead of looking at the schematic.

If you still have access to the area, I would remove the chassis harness connector at the resistor and run a jumper wire from pin C to a good chassis ground. That should cause the rear seat blower to run at high speed.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This is not a resistor problem. It's an actuator problem.
    B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

PoNoMo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

This is terrific and timely thread, however what was the outcome? I have the identical problem with same problem codes: IPM B0249 History, IPM B0429 Current.

The only caveat to this issue is when my front seat air worked the rear would only blow hot, and was adjustable. The front seemed to work fine, full temperature range adjustments and venting.

BTW, I have 2002 DTS. It would be great if I could handle in my garage but I need some guidance.

Thanks,

Marshall

sgtjmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

I have a 2003 Deville. Similar problem. The front blower comes on when it wants to. Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes it takes a few minutes. Strange. I live in Savannah, GA where it is very HOT. A few minutes without AC is unbearable. The funny thing is, it just comes on for no apparent reason. WHen it is off, I have hit the dash, clicked EVERY button, turned EVER knob. I hit buttons fast, hold them in, anything I can think to try. Nothing works. But then, all of a subben, it just startes working. Then when I turn off the car, it is a gamle as to whether the blower will work when I start the car the next time. Is it this resistor? Or is it the blower motor, or a thermostat problem?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Did you read any of this thread? There is no resistor.

The thermostat has absolutely nothing g to do with the blower motor.

It's most likely a bad blower motor, or a loose ground behind the passenger side kick panel.

BTW,

Loumar1684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I realize it has been 3 years since your post, but I too am having the same problems. Already spent 2 hours looking for the resistor. Yes, I would like, if possible, any pics you can send me help with this new headache.
    Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Based on your other posts I determined that you drive a 2003 Deville - it makes a difference. I also updated your login header to reflect your car year/model.

I believe that your blower motor resistor pack is in the front flat area under the console center section (flat wood) cover.

Google "cadillac forums 2003 deville hvac blower motor resistor module replacement" or something close.

www.rockauto.com

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Loumar1684 View Post
    I realize it has been 3 years since your post, but I too am having the same problems. Already spent 2 hours looking for the resistor. Yes, I would like, if possible, any pics you can send me help with this new headache.
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------
    FIRST -
    are you having a problem with the FRONT blower - or the REAR blower -

Loumar1684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------------------
    FIRST -
    are you having a problem with the FRONT blower - or the REAR blower -
    I was haqving problems with the from blower, already replaced it. I was told to replace the resistor also...but can't find it.

Have not checked the rear blower

Thanks

----------

Just saw your reply.. will try your Google suggestion
    Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.