Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1993 Cadillac Throttle Repsonse problems need help ASAP!!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BeelzeBob 
#1 ·
I am supposed to be driving my parents car to oregon to meet them up there. The last two days when after about 30-40 minutes of driving the cadillac (de ville) I would push the throttle down to acelerate and the car would just do hardly anything, if I held my foot down on the throttle to accelerate and left it at say 1/2 throttle, the car would spurt, and then nothing, and then spurt and then nothing, etc. all while keeping my foot in the same position. Also I noticed when it got real bad, I would give it 1/2 throttle and then when it "nose dived" I let off, and then while I was off the throttle about 4 seconds or so the car would spurt a little of acceleration, but with my foot not even on the accelerator, it seemed to get worse as I continued to drive it. After letting it sit for a while, and starting it back up the problem went away. It got to the point where to accelerate to 30mph took forever. My dad has the service manual, and I ran a system check and no errors are showing. He also replaced the fuel filter before he left for oregon. Could it be something with the injectors? I don't know hardly anything about this car, and just want to be able to make it to oregon. HELP!!

#2 ·
mcagnew said:
I am supposed to be driving my parents car to oregon to meet them up there. The last two days when after about 30-40 minutes of driving the cadillac (de ville) I would push the throttle down to acelerate and the car would just do hardly anything, if I held my foot down on the throttle to accelerate and left it at say 1/2 throttle, the car would spurt, and then nothing, and then spurt and then nothing, etc. all while keeping my foot in the same position. Also I noticed when it got real bad, I would give it 1/2 throttle and then when it "nose dived" I let off, and then while I was off the throttle about 4 seconds or so the car would spurt a little of acceleration, but with my foot not even on the accelerator, it seemed to get worse as I continued to drive it. After letting it sit for a while, and starting it back up the problem went away. It got to the point where to accelerate to 30mph took forever. My dad has the service manual, and I ran a system check and no errors are showing. He also replaced the fuel filter before he left for oregon. Could it be something with the injectors? I don't know hardly anything about this car, and just want to be able to make it to oregon. HELP!!
how much gas is in the car?

#3 ·
14 gallons. I know that this car starts getting accleration problems when there is less than 3 gtallons of gas.

I think it may be a vapor lock issue. Also I have read here that I may want to try taking the gas cap off when it does it, and see if it goes away. It only seems to do it when it is extremely hot outside (Southen California) and the last two days it has been around 106-108°

I am going to have my wife take it to the dealership tomorrow if it does it again, and see what they think.

#4 ·
It really sounds more like a fuel pump.....

It is pretty simple to screw a fuel pressure gauge onto the schraeder valve fitting on the fuel rail to see if the fuel pressure is adequate and maintaining during accells. You should see roughly 50 PSI constant at the rail. If the fuel pressure drops radically during the accels when the performance falls off then likely it is the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.