Transmission Fluid in Radiator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Transmission Fluid in Radiator in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello my fellow Caddy owners. I haven't been here in awhile since I guess I haven't had any problems. Well ...
    Master Loafer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

Transmission Fluid in Radiator

Hello my fellow Caddy owners. I haven't been here in awhile since I guess I haven't had any problems. Well recently I discovered I had transmission fluid in my radiator and I did have this verified after I found what I thought I found.

Heres the deal. I have replaced the radiator and have my new hoses and such but problem is : I have NO idea which way to flush my engine. I don't want to hook hoses up to radiator until engine is flushed. I don't want that nasty stuff in the new radiator. How do I do this ? Is the "lower" hose heading towards thermostat ? Is it possible to flush the engine without hooking hoses to radiator ? I leave for work at 4am and my wife is tired of being without a car since I have been using hers. I will check back here in a little bit to see if someone knows the answer... I own a 2001 Deville base model with engine code "Y".

Thanks for any and ALL help !

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Transmission Fluid in Radiator

During this entire procedure use plastic sheet to cover the brake control module located down below the "lower hose" and front AIR valve.

The "lower hose" feeds INTO the water pump, out of the pump to the water crossover and into the block and head passages, then out to the top (long) hose.

Make a hose attachment for the thermostat housing (large) nipple. Remove the thermostat (no water flow otherwise), replace the thermostat hose nipple, attach the hose fitting, a garden hose, and the upper radiator hose. Drape the upper hose out of the engine compartment - if you twist it correctly before you clamp it it will simply hang out over the front of the radiator/bumper. Now run a gentle flow of water through the engine for 10 minutes - DO NOT use the hose full force.

If the spirit moves you after the first 10 minutes turn off the garden hose, disconnect it at the faucet, and use the upper hose to pour a gallon of windshield washer fluid into the block - the fluid contains a slight amount of water and alcohol so it will wash the light transmission fluid off the block cooling system walls. Let this sit for 15 minutes. Now reconnect as before do your second slow flush - all the w/s washer fluid and nasties will flow out and there will be NO residual cleaners or flush compounds left in the cooling system.

Blow or pump out as much residual water as possible and fill the new system with a 60/40 mix of the recommended coolant/distilled water: the 60/40 mix will insure that the 3 quarts of water remaining in the block are mixed with enough coolant mix to give you just about the recommended 50/50 mix.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you had trans fluid in the cooling system, then you most likely also have coolant in the transmission as well (much worse).

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

been there before. If it hasn't been that long you might be able to do a fluid change on the trans then drive a little bit then do in again.

Master Loafer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

First off, thanks for the replies. I have the car back together and I am taking it to have someone else do all these flushings. Come to find out after I had it all put back together, I did find that the tranny had a light milky pink looking fluid. Yeppers, water in the tranny... Just to think I drove this car for about a month like this not knowing what was going on. The tranny never acted up, so I hope I am getting this done in time. I was told that a tranny flush by itself was not good enough. I was told that the pan needed to be dropped and filter changed, then flush the unit. Or flush first... not sure. Anyways, the car gets dropped off tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. You guys here ROCK. I don't come here very often but when I do, you peeps have answers. Thanks for helping me out !

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Who told you this? The filter is internal and cannot be changed without opening the trans. There are two reusable screens in the pan, but the filter is not accessible. I would think you'd be fine with a dealer fluid exchange, which should completely remove all the old fluid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.