Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveSmed 
#1 ·
Where can I get a digital speedometer for a 89-92 Deville?

#4 ·
Should be good from 85-93, Definitely good 89-93, only shight change in 91 is the Change Oil Soon light. If no one has one by you, I have acess to two I would consider putting on auction. Watch the mileage though, and try to find one close to your car. Its stored in the speedometer.

#9 ·
The 91 is a choice cluster. Has the Change oil soon light, shouldn't be limited, and has the correct warning indicators for the later model cars. It will fit any FWD (except eldo/seville) from 85-93, but I would avoid swapping the later style clusters with 4.1 powered cars due to the different indicators. Not to say if a 4.1 deville owner wanted freedom from the speedlimiter that it wouldnt be worth a try, just that they reworded a few things with the introduction of the 4.5. I cant really spot any difference between TBI 4.5 and PFI 4.5 clusters, and only some PFI 4.5 clusters had that oil change light, and are otherwise exactly the same as the PFI 4.9 clusters. Since you have a 1991 cluster, it should work with out any "comprimises" (like I wired Traction Control to be the oil change reminder on the '90 cluster.)

When you pull it, remember, Save the plug and an inch of wiring harness! Having the wire colors handy saves a bunch of time. Release the wires one at a time from the analog connector on the drivers side, and from the digital dash connector, replacing them with the same colors in whatever spot the digital's connector had them in. Then start on the passengers side connector, ONLY doing the wires that will reach. You will have "extra" wires. One gets 12v constant. and two get run to either the fuel data center, or the climate control heads (for the digital power supply) There is another one that is optional, that you would run to the BCM. All it does is switch the fuel data and climate control to metric when you push E/M on the digital dash to switch to kilometers. I didn't bother with it. There is an oddball plug, that has a few wires going to it (ones that deal with the digital portion as opposed to the warning light portion) its a black plug, and the terminals do NOT match up. the colors do. So cut off the old terminal, and use a butt connector and connect it to the new plug. I believe that there are 4 or 5 you have to do this way. That includes the two that get run to the CCP/FDC. Others are speed sensor, high beam indicator, and something else. I have complete diagrams for both, which I will post, as well as a breakdown by wire colors, which I will work on posting tonight.

#10 · (Edited)
Code:
                    Digital:              Standard:
Speed sensor-       Dk. Green             Dk. Green
High Beam ind.-     White                 White
Ground-             Black                 Black
Ground-             Black/White           Black/White
Incandescent dim-   Gray (X2)             Gray
+12v Batt-          Orange                N/A (Tap in fusebox?)
+12v ignition-      Brown                 Brown
E/M Switch-         Lt. Blue              N/A (Not needed)
VF dimmer-          Purple/White          N/A (Located at CCP/FDC)
16 Volt in-         Orange/Black          N/A (Located at CCP/FDC)
Seatbelt ind.-      Yellow                Yellow
LH Turn ind.-       Lt. Blue              Lt. Blue
RH Turn ind.-       Dk. Blue              Dk. Blue
Charge In-          Brown                 Brown
Charge Out-         Brown                 Brown
Change oil ind.-    White                 White
Low Oil psi ind.-   Tan                   Tan
Brake Ind.-         Tan/White             Tan/White
Airbag ind.-        Brown                 Brown
SES ind.-           Brown/White           Brown/White
SVS ind.-           Gray/Black            Gray/Black
Coolant tmp ind.-   Dk. Green             Dk. Green
ABS ind.-           White                 White
Eng. Metal tmp ind.-Lt. Green             Lt. Green
Warning light pwr-  Pink/Black            Pink/Black (X2)
All in all, they are VERY alike. Some colors do match, but like the 4 browns for example, two are heavier gauge (charge indicator) and stand out. If you have a doubt, its pretty easy to trace the circut on the back of the clusters and figure out for sure what is what.

Edit: That little window up there took much longer than one would expect for formatting. At least its nice and neat. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.