90 deville - premium gas required?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 90 deville - premium gas required? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; just wondering... didnt think anything of it until i started reading some blurbs about the 90 deville's requiring premium gas. ...
    cad_90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville, 1990 Deville

90 deville - premium gas required?

just wondering... didnt think anything of it until i started reading some blurbs about the 90 deville's requiring premium gas.

i've been running it on regular (at least a tank of it since i bought the car)

i dont have a owner's manual or shop manual yet.

is this a problem? should i use premium?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 90 deville - premium gas required?

ok answered my own question... it says use premium only on the fuel center display. helps to read things. lol.

just curiuos, is it normal to get 30MPG avg. on a 90 deville?

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yah Premium is suggested but I have no probs in my '90 if I put in a half tank of mid grade now and then.

30mpg! Wow, Mine averages 21mpg city/highway and I thought I was doing well. Best sustained average highway mileage I've ever seen was around 26-27 mpg.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I've gotten 30 MPG with sustained highway driving but that is on a Northstar.
    The 4.9 does not have a knock sensor like the Northstar does so it will knock or ping when you accelerate if the octane is too low. I think I used to get away with mid-grade when I had my '92 but it's been a while and I am not positive. Try it, if it knocks go back to premium.

ok, after a day of driving it (approx 60miles), with half and half regular and premium, i'm getting about 27.5MPG avg. not bad for a 1990 v8, eh?

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

oftentimes computer reading is off by a few.

case in point for 250 miles my computer will tell me anywhere from 20-22AVG, when in reality it has never exceeded 20, not even once. usually around 18-19

MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cad_90
    just wondering... didnt think anything of it until i started reading some blurbs about the 90 deville's requiring premium gas.

i've been running it on regular (at least a tank of it since i bought the car)

i dont have a owner's manual or shop manual yet.

is this a problem? should i use premium?

I did the same thing when I got mine. see the link below

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=12465

carnerd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Damn.. this sucks i only get 15.5 at most on highway and 14 on side roads and stuff.. I put a new o2 sensor in.. I cleaned the egr tubes and intake. What else should I do? I was thinking tune up when I get the money for the stuff. I just got a service manual from ebay for 38 bucks 2 days ago. The guy had like 6 manuals go for other caddyz around 29-35 bucks. I would have told you all but I wanted mine cheap. The guy on ebays user name is strassfarms

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdobbins
    oftentimes computer reading is off by a few.

case in point for 250 miles my computer will tell me anywhere from 20-22AVG, when in reality it has never exceeded 20, not even once. usually around 18-19
    i know what you mean, but ive driven about 108 miles since reset the fuel center data... and it says i've used 4 gallons since. so the thing should be telling my around 27MPG avg, and it is. so far its pretty accurate. and this is mostly highway driving by the way.

Swirvin_Irvin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The fuel center data, especially for gas used in gallons, is HIGHLY inaccurate. My '93 deville will let me go 130 miles from the tank reading full till 15 gallons (its first reading from full, my guess a max of 16-18 total gallons I have been getting mixed numbers from the pump and fuel center to really nail it down since Feb.), then 25-30 for the next three to four gallons. It also tells me my avg of 23 (city/highway) is good for the 15 or so gallons of Ultra/Premium I put in, but I end up filling up well before the 345 miles (usuall around 300 mi) I should get holding the 23 avg constant.

CadillacBlue5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If yall want to know how much gas you are using, fill up your tank, measure how far you drive, then go into diagnostic mode and check the actual fuel level, depending on what grade fuel you use, then calculate how far you have gone and you will find out your mpg. good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.