Cant close my trunk
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Cant close my trunk in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I pushed the button to open the trunk and gently closed it like always and the thing sucked but the ...
    MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Cant close my trunk

I pushed the button to open the trunk and gently closed it like always and the thing sucked but the trunk didnt latch. The part that you put the key in to turn is fine but the part of it on the inside of the trunk lid won't latch on to the electrical pully. Is that hard to replace?.

I have a 1991 Sedan Deville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Cant close my trunk

Did you try opening it again? Maybe something just got stuck. The latch should be pretty easy to change if that is what's wrong.

Yup I tried opening it again with the key and using the button in the glove box. you know how that piece clamps on the attachment that keeps the trunk closed. The part that clamps is the part thats not clamping. I can manuely clamp it but it bounces back to unlocked. I noticed a little metal clip on the inside of it that looks like its bent out of place.

I dont understand how you understand what Im talking about. I dont know what anythings called.

I suppose I can get one from the junk yard. I removed it today and it looks like it was previously damaged.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    I dont understand how you understand what Im talking about. I dont know what anythings called.
    I had a problem with the latch part on another car before and I just changed it with another one to fix it. I guess that's why I know what you're talking about
    I'd just try getting one from a junk yard. It shouldn't cost too much.

Cost about $7.50 at the junk yard today, put it on and it was a simple 5 minutes. Now I have a new problem. When I open the trunk either by button or key it acts as though the pully had pulled it down to far and pops!as though its braking free. Its not like I can put the linkage on wrong because there are only 2 screws and two alignment clips to help keep it straight. I removed my battery because I had to replace a coolant line and I went to the trunk without the button but the Key. When I turned the Key it went pop! as it opened {the pully didnt move because the battery was diconnected} so it looked as though it was down alittle to far but Im not sure. It closes as it should but opens with a hard pop. a pop so hard that you see the whole lic plate move and vibrate. I tried unlocking with the trunk allready opened and it worked fine, I also had the trunk pully move up and down to see if it pops or acts funny on its own and it was fine. Only when the 2 are linked does it pop.

anyone have a solution??

SuperSport is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Next time hack the bodies up into smaller pieces... Sounds as if you've got the latch or striker misadjusted so that the servo is pulling the deck lid down too tight. loosen the mounting bolts and slide the offending component towards its mating part and snug up the fasteners. It's trial and error! A bit of lube on the pivot points won't hurt either.

hack ..... smaller pieces..., Got it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.