'00 steering noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, '00 steering noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anybody experienced a noise parking etc. Resivoir is full and power steering is running normally, otherwise. Its not when steering ...
    gopher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989, 2000

Unhappy '00 steering noise

Anybody experienced a noise parking etc.
    Resivoir is full and power steering is running normally, otherwise.
    Its not when steering is fully extended.. just manouvering at low speed.

2000 DTS ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: '00 steering noise

Crawl under the drivers side dash board and locate a clear flexible boot that covers the steering column intermediate shaft (it's where the steering column goes thru the floorboard) This boot is subject to become deformed and rub against the intermediate shaft when turning the wheel. You should be able to reposition the boot to prevent it from rubbing.

Oldman Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX

Ok, since Gopher brought up steering noises I thought I'd add my own. I have a '00 base deville with 136K miles. After having the car on and driving about 30 mins. The steering makes a noise that sounds like "the water is running". If I put a little pressure against the play in the steering wheel the noise quits. If I let go, it comes back. It seems to only happen if I drive a while or if I'm stuck in traffic. I don't have any leaks and the "tank" is full. What do you guys think?

Thanks, but its definately a mechanical/hydraulic noise... don't believe its the boot..
    usually occurs at low rpm parking, etc.....
    Resivoir is full ..
    Wrong fluid.. ?? Would Lucas help?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman Cadillac View Post
    Ok, since Gopher brought up steering noises I thought I'd add my own. I have a '00 base deville with 136K miles. After having the car on and driving about 30 mins. The steering makes a noise that sounds like "the water is running". If I put a little pressure against the play in the steering wheel the noise quits. If I let go, it comes back. It seems to only happen if I drive a while or if I'm stuck in traffic. I don't have any leaks and the "tank" is full. What do you guys think?

I used to drive a '67 Impala that did that..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Don't pour magic potions in the P/S fluid - or the engine oil, either.

Most P/S systems will hiss, groan, and moan at low speed/stop maneuvering: there's one heck of a lot of hydraulic pressure needed to move those tire contact patches then - BUT loud clanks, bangs, hisses, and rattles are cause for concern and snake oil will not fix that.

Oldman Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX

Well, when the noise starts, I usually notice it while sitting at a light. The noise stops when you put pressure back on the wheel. I've never noticed any change in sound when turning at low speed.

egheorghe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville '98

Gopher, did you find the problem? I think I experience the same problem, a pretty loud intermittent noise when I park or at very low speed. I can also feel the vibrations in the steering wheel. Tank is full

swanga is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Base deville

I know it's a 3 year old thread, but I'm experiencing noise from what I assume could be the power steering in a 2001 Deville. I only hear it once the car has been driven for a while. It stops when the steering wheel is moved right or left just a little. The p/s fluid was low when I bought the car, but worked fine. Still has no problems besides the noise. Anybody ever get a definite fix for this? After reading a few other topics along the lines of my problem, I'm assuming there could be air in the system from it being operated while low on fluid.

Sorry about that.. I just saw this reply cleaning up a folder..
    .. my noise is under load at low speeds, and seemed to be tied to a TSB about undersized power steering line/ gear... ususally remedied by replacing the gear or the rack... if the larger ps line doesnt correct the defeciency..

swanga is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Base deville

Ok. My noise only comes once the car has been driven for a while. Other than that, it works fine. If I get the steering wheel to a certain spot the noise will stop altogether. Replacing I could probably do myself, but the rack might be a bit much. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.