EBTCM,Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, EBTCM,Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was told that my brake problem was with the electrical portion of this module pt # 25633191. I bought ...
    benge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Sedan Deville

EBTCM,Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module

I was told that my brake problem was with the electrical portion of this module pt # 25633191. I bought one on ebay and proceeded to try to install the module by tryng to take it apart while it was still mounted on the car. When it looked like I needed to remove the whole module which includes removing the hydraulic lines. Bfore I did this I searched for further advice and was told by a local brake shop that it could not be done. They said that the computer would not recognize the new module and I would have to have the memory flashed. Is this a fact?? I thought the only other thing I would have to do after I reinstalled the module was to bleed the brakes. How are others DIY on this issue?
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: EBTCM,Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module

I searched for further advice and was told by a local brake shop that it could not be done. They said that the computer would not recognize the new module and I would have to have the memory flashed.
    That does not sound right to me. Can't say that I have ever heard of that, but I could be wrong.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

No thats not correct. You can swap the electronics part without worrying about reflashing any module in the car. I don't think any module in a 96 save the PCM needs to be reflashed when its replaced. Just make doubly sure you have the correct one. There are different versions relating to the type of braking system you have, they do not interchange and will give you new DTCs related to the ICCS1 and ICCS2 communication buses. Match the part number on the paper tag on the top of the unit with the one in the car. Easy to get to from the drivers side front wheelwell, pull the wheel and inner fender liner and you'll be looking right at the EBTCM. Don't pull the whole thing if you can avoid it, you will never get the ABS unit bled correctly without a TechII to operate the solenoids inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    No thats not correct. You can swap the electronics part without worrying about reflashing any module in the car. I don't think any module in a 96 save the PCM needs to be reflashed when its replaced. Just make doubly sure you have the correct one. There are different versions relating to the type of braking system you have, they do not interchange and will give you new DTCs related to the ICCS1 and ICCS2 communication buses. Match the part number on the paper tag on the top of the unit with the one in the car. Easy to get to from the drivers side front wheelwell, pull the wheel and inner fender liner and you'll be looking right at the EBTCM. Don't pull the whole thing if you can avoid it, you will never get the ABS unit bled correctly without a TechII to operate the solenoids inside it.
    Mark; That is the direction we first stated in. We got to the point of trying to get into an assembly underneath the air intake and almost tore up the windshield washer bottle, when we spotted the correct assembly behind the radiator. By just moving a radiator hose we were able to get to the assembly from underneath the car and from on top.
    Thats when we ran into a problem. We tried to separate the electronic section from the hydraulic section by prying on them. We stopped when we ran into resistance. We did not want to pry to hard because we were concern in bending connectors inside this assembly. We had the assembly loose but with the steel hydraulic tubing still attached. We are thinking of pulling the assembly out of the car and working on it on a bench. Now wwith the bleeding problem that you mentioned on your post we really do not know what to do. Is there a simple safe way to separate these two units?
    Ben

Theres 6 small phillips head bolts on the outside (wheelside) face of the module along with one larger bolt in the center. (yours might be different, my 97 Seville has 6 screws and a center bolt on the inside face, my 2000 deville just has 6 screws around the edge on the outside face) Did you take all of them out? If so the two halves should come apart pretty easily. The module does have some kind of adhesive (or maybe they just rust together over time) that holds the electronic part to the BMPV part, but once it starts to come apart it just pops off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Theres 6 small phillips head bolts on the outside (wheelside) face of the module along with one larger bolt in the center. (yours might be different, my 97 Seville has 6 screws and a center bolt on the inside face, my 2000 deville just has 6 screws around the edge on the outside face) Did you take all of them out? If so the two halves should come apart pretty easily. The module does have some kind of adhesive (or maybe they just rust together over time) that holds the electronic part to the BMPV part, but once it starts to come apart it just pops off.
    I guess thats where we differ. Mine has 4 torx head screws on the opposite side of the pump Or on the side where the big connector clips on. If you go to Ebay and search the pt number I originally posted you can see what my replcement module looks like. I guess that is why you can get to your module from the wheel well. Do you think anyone else is seeing our post that might have worked on a 95 Deville?

Yours is pretty similar to my Sevilles unit, except the body on mine comes all the way to the top of the BMPV and my connector is on the side with the screws. You see that circular thing sticking out the left side of the EBTCM in the picture above? Thats also a bolt that holds the unit together. If you took the 4 screws out and that bolt out the two halves should come apart. The gasket sealer they use makes them tough to separate sometimes, but once you break an edge loose it comes right apart. the only thin in there is an electronics board and about 9 solenoid coils that fit over plungers that operate the valves in the hydraulic half of the unit. thats what makes the loud buzzing noise and the vibration in the brake pedal when the ABS activates, its those valves being opened and closed by those coils.

If you've got all 5 of those connection points off, just give the side of it a couple of easy taps with a ballpeen hammer and it should loosen up.

Mine looks like this:

Monty794 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS RHD

Hi from England,
    I have a Seville STS made in 1999 in US, right hand drive for the United Kingdom market. I have 2 lights on the DIC, TC and ABS. The codes shown on the built in scanner show 'No ABS Data' and on other systems:-
    P1602 H C==current,H=history
    U1255 C
    B1983 H
    C1780 C .

The Tech 2 shown no communication with the chassis system but all other systems are accessible.

I have carried out the checks in the K series manual for No communication with the EBTCM with the pin-out box and adapter and there is good ground and battery voltage where it should be.

Does anyone know if there is any chance that this is something other than a failed EBTCM? The car has covered only 18,000 miles which doesn't seem much for such an important component to fail.
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    Best regards
    Monty

cancuncaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 ETC

monty check the connector all pins should be clean and shiny try that first!

TryMe96Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (220K+)

If anyone is interested or in need I have an EBTCM for sale from a 96' Seville. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2758296

john-william is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, base model

Mark C
    I am following your EBTCM 'project' with great interest. After replacing the left front wheel bearing/speed sensor assy, no more 'growling', but still get Codes 25 and 27! And, "Traction Disabled" has reappeared.

My EBTCM has 4 torque fasterners and one other on inside facing surface. Numbers etched in the Bosch nameplate are:
    D1150365 831
    265 220 000
    563 11 27 04

The last set looks like a 'date'. Since my DeVille (Base Model) is a 1995, that could indicate the EBTCM may have been replaced. I am the third owner and received good documentation for the car that I purchased with 137,000 miles on it. There is no mention in the documentation that that assy was replaced, at least by that time. In fact, the assy instl does not look as though it has ever been 'tampered' with (removed and replaced).

I doubt this adds much to your 'data base' of sleuthing, but wanted you to know there are 'others of us' out there that, collectively, we may get a better handle on this 'mysterious' system!
    John-William
    Houston, TX

Andsoforth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is this thread still alive (...and why doesn't anyone ever return to "share" what their Final Outcome is/was! That's downright rude)?

1996 Eldorado Touring Coupe

As can often be expected from an Internet Forum, ALL of the information is slightly lacking. I have a '96 ETC and EVERYTHING that "goes before" swapping the EBTCM has been removed and replaced at least once. No lie; no exaggeration; no
    stone unturned and I keep getting "nuisance" TC/ABS off" warning ligths. "Monitoring in flight" shows that the Code(s) TC0025 and/or TC0027, or both, are what is kicking off the DTC (and yet, as Ranger pointed out, "maybe it IS the EBTCM"
    because the "internal fault check" only checks the four locations ONE AT A TIME in this unit. The hub/sensor is new, TRW and ohms perfectly for an hour at different rpms (and I too, have "lost the hum" that was coming from the LF hub) So
    here I am, with all FOUR corner Torx screws removed from a '96 Seville with a KNOWN GOOD EBTCM with the same p/n -it was a bit tricky getting the inboard rear Torx out, but nothing a spring type flex shaft 1/4" drive extension, a 1/4" drive,1/4" socket with a Torx bit in the end and a garden variety ratchet couldn't handle gracefully.

Now the sticky wicket:
    So all indications here are that the remaining "bolt" is in fact a "bolt". It is NOT - at least on this Deville (the Donor)- the EBTCM is coming from. It is a NUT!!! So, can I get a witness, here? With the NUT removed, access to splitting the EBTCMfrom the valve body remains impossible. I am RELUCTANT to "double-nut" this scrawny (metric) "stud" and "backing it out" because I have had way too much Fun with the anodic scale over the years. I HAVE AeroKroil (anything else is a
    WASTE OF TIME in comparison. Believe it , or Go Fish) and will continue re-applying the Kroil for anther 24 hours while I wait and hope -with my fingers crossed- that I am missing something and someone will enlighten me. I suspect I will
    eventually ceremoniously break off the "stud" inside the cast aluminum body of the EBTCM and unless it breaks off 100% flush, I see no way the EBTCM will come off the valve body enough to clear the bracket they co-habitate within.

Fact is, without my having done this task before on a '95 or '96 Caddy (BTW, this p/n is NOT "the same as" earlier or later EBTCMs. SIMILAR TO, yes. "Same as", no) I must question what I am in for with the physical interface itself? HOW FAR does the EBTCM have to stand off the valve body to allow it to "slide out and away"??? Looking like it better need no more than about one quarter inch! The "other end" (the valve body side) has a mirror image stud and nut arrangement, so I have a pretty good idea that "releasing the whole shitterie" from the frame bracket is NOT the preferred suggestion. Looks like it may have eventually taken a "dummy on the floor with grease under his fingernails" to point out to a starched-
    shirted engineer that this was a really dumb way to install this setup, and it SHOULD be a "bolt" in each side, like everybody -including those that have never actually DONE this task- says it "is".

So here's hopin' I'm missing something really dumb. I'd be MOST appreciative if I could get some "good experience" involved with this!

crabgrass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I was getting the same codes in my 96 deville and went straight for the EBTCM. I got one off a 97 at a junkyard. In the end I found it easier to pull the whole pump with the EBTCM and then bleed the brakes after. When pulling the computer off the pump there are four bolts on each corner and one in the middle that is under the mount that bolts to the frame. Once you have the 5 bolts out it only has to pull out about a half inch to unplug and then it is free. Don't be surprised if a loose relay falls out. Hope that helps it solved my problem.

Andsoforth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the reply, crabgrass!!! So...you too are now saying that "there are five bolts", right? I don't mean to sound snotty in any way, but I have removed four SCREWS (with Torx heads) from each corner and according to "local wisdom",
    the FIFTH fastener is "ALSO" a "bolt"???!!!??? I'm looking at a NUT ON A STUD that is screwed into the lower edge of the EBTCM (inside the round cast boss on the EBTCM, protruding THROUGH and NUTTED to the frame mount. In the strictest sense of the language, I'm saying there are NO "bolts", but there are four screws and a nutted stud for "five FASTENERS" total but no "bolts" in this installation. Is this not a correct statement? Are there "four screws and one nut on a stud"
    that secure the EBTCM to the valve body??? Because, I'm sayin'...there is only going to be a frog-hair UNDER 1/4" clearance -the thickness of the rubber shock bushing- if I back that stud out and if I need "1/2 inch or so", it ain't gonna
    happen. Also, the fastener opposing that retains the valve body to the frame mount is ALSO a stud with a nut! I'm looking to swap out the EBTCM (the "computer module") in place while leaving the "other part" unwrenched. The brakes work
    SOOOO NICE, I do NOT want to lose the feel and function by having to bleed them, because I have NO TOOLING to properly cycle the ABS system to do a proper bleed. What am I missing here???

Has anybody ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED swapping out the EBTCM, in place, for a 1996 Cadillac (Deville or Eldorado ETC)? PLEASE, edjumacate me!

You say you got a replacement EBTCM for a '96 Deville off a '97 model!?! And that WORKED correctly??? I believe my information may very possibly be wrong, but I must be laboring under the misconception that '95 and '96 p/n 25633191 were the same EBTCM, but '97s were different. This (these) was the "changeover year(s)" from OBDI to OBDII and there WERE changes made, following. Supposedly certain variations will physically "bolt up", but are different "electrically". This
    would fall in line with what Marc C said in post #3 (this thread) but Yeah,Yeah, Sevilles aren't Devilles or Eldorados.

Apparently, the pictures in this thread have either "dried up" or will not work in my Browser.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Andsoforth View Post
    Apparently, the pictures in this thread have either "dried up" or will not work in my Browser.
    When using the CF site itself (as opposed to storing stuff in an online album site) to upload attachments we're limited to 20 mb of storage - for everything - so many active members periodically delete old pictures and diagrams for threads that have lain dormant for several years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.