1995 4.9L Leaking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1995 4.9L Leaking in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My parents just gave me their 1995 Sedan DeVille to sell for them, and today I noticed there's a fluid ...
    Spreng is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation 1995 4.9L Leaking

My parents just gave me their 1995 Sedan DeVille to sell for them, and today I noticed there's a fluid leak.

The fluid is brownish/redish in color and is leaking from the small radiator-lookalike thing in front driver side of the radiator. This is a major setback because both my parents and I really need the money we'd get from selling it. I'm very concerned and any help asap would be great appreciated!

Thanks!
    -Evan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, I should've described it better. I just checked the transmission fluid because 1st gear is slipping really bad, and it's extremely low.

Then on another Cadillac forum someone suggested the part in question is the transmission (fluid) cooler. I sure hope it is that, and it's cheap.

AKPsiMC03 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    that would be the tranny cooler. it shouldnt be that hard of a fix if its right in the front.

is it leaking from the fins? or the fitting?

It was leaking from the fins. I thought I could make it up to get one, but I couldn't. Ran out of tranny fluid......so I had my wife pick my son and me up and over to the dealer.

For some reason, the one they gave me was a bit oversized, but three people assured me it would fit. So...we spent about 2.5 hours in a Supercuts parking lot trying to wrestle that thing in place. We finally got it, but resorted to some cardboard (lol) to help mount it.........

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 1995 4.9L Leaking

I WOULD GET THE TRANNY FLUSHED IMMEDIATELY!!

Assuming that the fluid has never been changed (regardless of what the manual says), it needs to be done..... also the pan needs to be dropped/cleaned and the filter changed......

It can really extend tranny life..... Dont ask why, just do it....

And the tranny cooler is a great idea too..... The fluid was probably coming from the heat exchanger..... Personally, I would go out and put in an external cooler, maybe a $50 part, and it will help extend the life also......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.