Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Frost 
#1 ·
After riding in a friends Buick SUV and experiencing the peace of GM's "quiet pkg" I am wondering if I can emulate this in my '02 DeVille.
Is there some type of aftermarket sound insulation available? Where should I concentrate on installing it?

#6 ·
What brand tires are you running on?

Anybody remember a the guy that wanted to make his Deville as quiet as a Rolls Royce.... He pulled the entire insides out and spent north of $10G putting in all kinds of dynamat and other sound deadening material in it? If I remember correctly he had a bunch of pictures posted on here.

#9 ·
A dealer told me the "Quiet Package" includes extra sound deadener in the doors, floor, and firewall, laminated window glass, special quiet (touring) tires, and a redesigned underpan. To do all this to your old Caddy would cost a few grand, and performance, handling, and mpg would drop (since you'd be adding a few hundred pounds to the weight). But if your car is noisy, you've probably got tires on it that are made more for handling and performance than for quiet and comfort. The Deville is already one of the quietest cars on the road.

#10 ·
I dunno... I find the these vehicles (new) very loud and noisy - particularly the engine - especially above 75 MPH. The base DeVille and DHS seems to be a bit quieter than the DTS - exhaust on the DTS seems to be tuned louder, and it is a different part number.

I've driven "lesser" vehicles that appear to be much quieter, so I understand where CashMoola is coming from. The road and engine noise is a little disappointing.

Joe

#11 ·
I agree with what you said.
The top level Buick Lucerne is "MUCH QUIETER" than my 2006 DTS.
My sons 2007 GMC Sierra Denali pickup is "AT LEAST" as quite also.
I am very disappointed at all the road noise that comes into the car.
Other than the road noise...I love it. :cloud9:

Texas Jim

#12 ·
I didn't mean to imply I had a road noise problem. My DeVille IS very quiet and my new Michelin Primacy's are a head above the Symmetry's I replaced. I really chose the right tire in my mind.
After my experience in the Buick I had the thought that maybe I could improve on an already good thing. Cost and weight constraints could have forced Cadillac to limit the amount of sound deadening product they could install on my Base DeVille. Changing the floorpan is a little more drastic than I care to go but lay-on/spray-on products, if deemed worthwhile, are probably well within my budget and skills.
Thanks for your responses.

#14 ·
It takes mass.
My 1987 Buick Grand National was noisy, but fun to drive: 550hp and a 12.2 second quarter mile. I had two large rolls of thin sheet lead which added 150# to the car. The lead went onto every sizable piece of sheet metal that would resonate, using 3M adhesive to bond it. Under carpets, on door panels, in the trunk, under the hood, atop the wheel housings, etc. etc. One long afternoon...

On a General Instruments meter measuring at 65mph on a flat highway, averaged for both directions, the process reduced interior noise by more than 75%. However, with the hammer down it made little difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.