Cadillac Owners Forum banner

01 DHS wont start

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  yellow1 
#1 ·
my 01 dhs wont start, wont even turn over. turn the key and nothin..... all of the accessories work except for the radio(gps). i tried jumping it, and charging the battery. tried checking all the connections, fuses. NEED HELP! thanks

#3 ·
Re: 01 dhs wont start

just tried it, swapped the battery with a known good one.... still same, wont turn over. the door locks and the gps/radio are the only things that aren't working. could it be a starter relay, and if so how would i change it. any ideas would be very appreciated. the sucky thing is that in Boston it is absolutly pouring out and i do not have a garage, i was also thinking could the rain have anything to do with it?

#6 ·

Pull the relay out of the socket - they're tight. 4 pins with a wiring diagram printed between them ? Swap in a similar relay from another circuit, installing the suspect relay in the vacant socket. (Leave no open socket(s).) Same problem? Not the relay. Find a similar label fuse.

#7 ·

before i did what sub said, i went out side and it started. turned it on and of 2 times, started fine. went to work, came home and same problem..wont turn over -batteries fine, tried switching relays, no broken fuses. everything works except for the gps/radio and door locks..... could it have something to do with the theft system or ignition? any suggestions would be awsome!

#10 ·

so i brought it to a auto electric place, the guy seems to think it has something to do with the theft system. he managed to start it bypassing something (ignition maybe... he spoke real fast) and it started fine but stalled out because the fuel cut off. he is still working on it, has this happend with anyone else here? also i lost the key pad, but that was over a year ago could that have any bearing on this. thanks

#13 ·

so, the auto electric shop i brought it to has no idea what is wrong with it. He claims he has tried everything, checked everything, all grounds, fuses ,wires ,relays ,ignition ,starter, almost all moduales. he tells me there is power going to everything but nothing is working, like the windows, gps, door locks. he is going to make one last ditch effort and play with the theft moduale and system, but feels like its something causing the theft problem. if it doesnt pan out tomorrow i will have to tow it to a dealership(which i should have done in the first place)

does anyone have any idea?? or advice??:helpless:

#16 ·

DTC stands for Diagnostic Trouble Code. If something goes wrong with almost any part or thing in your car it sets a DTC: Your car has a built-in memory and logging chip in the DIC (Driver Information Center - instrument panel) which you can access by studying the sticky thread at the top of the Deville main page: "How to pull codes". Depending on the year of your car(s) the code protocol is either (up to 1996) OBD-I (OnBoard Diagnostics) or, after 1996, OBD-II. When you get into the memory it reads out codes in the message center of the DIC, you write them down, and return to the site and go to the links for the 4 types of codes for explanations.

Easier to do than type - and you don't need to go anywhere or buy an aftermarket scanner - it's already in the car.

(debra - Go into the User CP up in the blue bar and add the year and model of your 2 cars. It makes advice easier to give if we know what car you're talking about. Welcome Aboard !!!!)

#18 ·

sub, he said when he pulled his dtc's that it said no data....
when my DTS was in the shop i got it back with the DTC;s displaying no data. the serivce guy said it is no communicating with the PCM and the IPC's are not talking.. so basicly your headunit and dashboard and ignition are not talking with the PCM.
my serivce guy fixed this by just running wires and cleaning connectors and it worked after he did about 5 connectors in the back of the dashboard and headunit.

#23 ·

just to keep anyone else who may have this problem in the future, took it to a dealer and they said a engine mount was broke which was pulling at the wireing harness and cause a wire to ground. they haven't located the wire but seem sure this is the problem. they quoted me 500-700 to fix the electrical problem and as for the engine mount they will have to see. ill keep you all informed:bigroll:

#24 ·
Had a similiar problem with my 2000 Deville. You would turn the key and nothing would happen. Everything would work but engine yould not turn over. Sit there awile and then it would start. Turned out to be a loose cable on the starter. Tightened the cable and problem disappeared and never reappeared. Cost of fix 0, did it myself, with about 2 hours labor getting access to the connection on the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.