NEED HELP!!!!!! with 1991 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, NEED HELP!!!!!! with 1991 deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so i just got this car from my parents who have been driving it since '04 and there are ...
    defflepp1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Exclamation NEED HELP!!!!!! with 1991 deville

Ok so i just got this car from my parents who have been driving it since '04 and there are a few issues with it.

1. the transmission has been acting up. when ever it is cold out even like 45 50 degrees it seems to develop a slip. where if i go to accelerate the engine will rev but the car will not really accelerate. it almost seems like it drops out of gear while im driving. when its above about 55 degrees it runs just fine.

2. also there has been an issues with stalling. it was really bad when i driving in a multi-story garage almost ever time i would turn the corner it would die. im thinking it might have something to do with the idle position sensor (i think thats what its called)

3. something else that it has been doing not starting. like ill put the key in turn get power everything comes on go to start it and nothing no click no crank no nothing and then i have to wait about 5 10 minutes and it will fire right up.

some other littler things that i dont know how to fix are the rear bumper is pushed in on the drivers side, the back molding on either side is falling off and the antenna wont go back down the motor runs and runs and runs but the antenna dose not move

if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated cause my dad keeps telling me that because of these problems i need to get rid of the car but i dont want cause i love driving so please somebody please HELP!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

Re: NEED HELP!!!!!! with 1991 deville

finally was able to check the codes and all i got was E40 E48 and E52 im not sure if that helps

E040) .................................... Power steering Pressure switch open) replace that and the stalls will stop while doing slow maneuvers. located on the steering column, driver side, below the brake booster

(E048) ......................... Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system Problem) clean or replace the egr valve

E52 means the pcm was reset, this is caused by disconnecting the battery

where is the power steering pressure switch

Caddyshack100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP

That Switch will be on the Powersteering Pressure line near the Powersteering pump, just trace back the line and find the switch with the connector and wires coming out from it. BUT, I would look into that Tranny first, anything else will be a waste of money. Your tranny is just going to get worse and worse until its going to be undriveable.

well i would fix the trans first if someone could give a definitive answer as to what is wrong with it and how to go about fixing that problem

Do you know if before your parents got the car if it had any Tranny work done?, Also the mileage plays a part as these will only last between 120 and 160k, The last of six that I rebuilt managed to make it to 171k. Check your fluid level, sometimes it can be the simplest solution to a problem. The other solution can be to take it to a tranny shop that you trust or your parents trust and let them diagnose it. Once they do that, then you decide whether to let them rebuild or not, some members here have had theirs done for around 1200dollars, thats a pretty good price.

JTL1043 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970/1991/2005

Just a though have you checked all the vacum lines ?? bad vacum on egr and trans will cause bad shifting . and changeing that egr value you need the exact replacement and specal wrinch to do it. real pain to get clearance under egr value.
    John

i am not sure what if any transmission work was done before we bought it, but i do know that my parents had it rebuilt at least once since we bought it. it only has 146,000 miles on it right now so when we had the trans rebuilt it was probably around 130,000. i was also wondering dose anyone know all what transmissions will fit on a 4.9 cause i heard that the trans that GM put in the new Monte Carlo SS, Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP is in the same family as the one that is in the Cadillac only more heavy duty.

You dont need a rebuild then, or rather you shouldn't.. The shop that did the work, they should be relooking at the tranny and determine what the problem is, 16K on a rebuild is not very good at all. As for what will fit only a 4T60 or 4T60E will, a 4t65EHD from a Grandprix GTP will physically fit but will not accept the controls as they are not compatible, but I often wondered if someone could make it work, a 4.9 and 4T65HD that would be a great combo. I am not sure what goes in the new Monte Carlos and Impalas, if they are FWD then it would be in likelyhood a 4T80E or RWD a 4L80E or 5L if a 5 Speed auto, a 4T60E and 4T80E are not even close in family department, a 4T80E would rank right up there with a Turbo 400 in terms of a great Tranny. The only reason GM used the 4T60E was because they had nothing else at the time for FWD, even the corvette got the 4L60, it is a good tranny up until it fails and it usually fails without warning.

after talking to my dad about when he took it in he said he took it in at about 120,000 miles. when he took it in they said they were having a lot of trouble with it because "its a '93 transmission in a '91 car". witch kind of rises some questions for me because isn't a 93 trans the same as a 91? another reason that im thinking that they didn't do good work is cause they are no longer in business go figure.

brandond25 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9L

Defflep1, you said sometimes when you go to start your car, you will put the key in and turn it and nothing happends when you try to start it, no click or anything? But everything else comes on? This is tempermental electronics is all. Same thing sometimes happeneds to my 1995 Deville. What it most likely is there, is your not inserting the key all the way in the ignition while you may think you are. Mine has a chip in it. If my chip is not all the way it wont start but will provide power to accessories. Just thought I would let you know that. In that case, just lock the ignition back, and pull the key out and insert completely and it will start.

well it has not, not started since i have been making sure the key is perfectly in the ignition. something that i have been thinking of doing to try and help the transmission is try and flush it and change the filter myself. cause my dad had it flushed by the same shop that did the rebuild and ive read that you should only do it your self so what do you guys think.

When you put the key in the ignition look to your Left hand side and see if the security light goes off. If it stays on then either your key is no good and you need a replacement or the wires to the ignition switch inside the steering wheel is cut and has to be replaced. Now if it goes off then its not your key it may be the Park Revers Neutral Saftey switch. Try seeing if you can start the car in Neutral or in Park again. If not try giving your car a jump and try starting it then. When you try to start the car does the car make a click sound? If not then your starter enable relay is no good. Its located behind the glove box and the BCM thats sitting on its most flates surface like a sandwich. Once its remove get a flashlight and look up right above where the BCM use to be and you will find the relay. The connector and relay is all black and matches the A/C routing ductes. If you replace that and it still doesn't work then the starter is out. Located underneath the engine behind the fans below the exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.