2000 + DeVille Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000 + DeVille Questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I guess I don't really know exactly what my question is. I was looking at getting a used Seville next ...
    Bowtie_Beast is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up 2000 + DeVille Questions

I guess I don't really know exactly what my question is. I was looking at getting a used Seville next year, but I've recently seen these DeVille's going at a decent price.
    What are some differences, (plus' and minus') between the Seville and Deville? What are the differences with the Deville and DTS and DHS? I haven't really looked at them, so I don't really know. Even if you could point me to a site where I could get the info, I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 2000 + DeVille Questions

youve come to the site where you can find all this information...

Im far from an expert but Ill tell you what I know off hand.....

The deville and seville are much different cars, despite being nearly identical mechncally... THe STS is more of a touring car (hence hte name), even the SLS..... its supposed to handle good (relatively) and still maintain quiet and good ride..... The deville is supposed to be more cushy, making a compromise in handling for a superior ride on the highay.....

it depends what you want, but for me the STS would be a no brainer.....The deville just isnt for me, if I wanted a cruiser like that Id get a REAL cadillac (no flaming please), 95 fleetwood brougham.....

The DTS and DHS are like the difference between STS and SLS.. The DTS will be firmer, have more supportive seats, may not ride as well, but its a cadillac so you know the ride is going to be good... The DTS have floor shifters, as opposed to column shifters, and I think they have more techno gadgets... its definitley the higher end model over the DHS......

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

BTW welcome to the forum! Thanks for signing up

1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_Beast
    I guess I don't really know exactly what my question is. I was looking at getting a used Seville next year, but I've recently seen these DeVille's going at a decent price.
    What are some differences, (plus' and minus') between the Seville and Deville? What are the differences with the Deville and DTS and DHS? I haven't really looked at them, so I don't really know. Even if you could point me to a site where I could get the info, I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks!
    Funny that you should ask.

My 1999 Seville SLS (24k miles) is in the shop. They are replacing the windshield and the driver's side power window regulator. The car will be in for repairs for a couple of days and so the dealer very kindly rented me a 2004 Deville (the dealer is paying for this as the windshield is under warranty--long story here).

I have driven the Deville for a day now and here is what I can tell so far.

This is the bottom of the line Deville, so it lacks some of the nice luxury touches of my Seville. The Deville is missing little things like the auto parking brake release (in the Deville you have to pump the parking brake pedal once to release the brake, in the Seville is automatic). Many of the interior parts, like the plastic components, feel cheap compared to the Seville's. The A/C controls are not as nice as in the Seville and glare is a major problem. Also, the A/C information on my Seville is more complete. The cabin of the Seville feels smaller and it is more intimate, but back seat speace in the Seville is VERY cramped. If you routinely carry more than one person with you, then get the bigger Deville, your passengers will thank you for it.

On the plus side, the Deville has a tire pressure monitor feature which I think is a real nice touch.

The Seville, even the SLS version, rides tighter than the standard Deville (I don't know about the DHS or the DTS). The Seville has a more Euro feel because that was its intended target audience--BMW and Benz owners.

I think that the proportions of the Seville are more pleasing to the eye. The car looks younger and more athletic. One of the early reviews said that hte Seville looked like a jock in an Armani suit (whatever that's supposed to mean). Many people have commented that the Deville is an old person's car, whereas the Seville attracts a somewhat younger buyer. Whether this is true or not is entirely up to you. Beautify, they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like the all-digital instruments of the base model Deville. I prefer the analog-digital combination of the Seville's instrument panel.

One thing I noticed is that the Deville gets slightly better gas mileage than the Seville...and it used regular gas too.

The trunk in the Seville looks bigger and deeper than the trunk in the Deville, but I may be wrong here.

If you are serious about getting a Deville, look into getting a DTS, with bucket seats, console, more aggressive suspension and a sportier look. I think you may be happier.

For my tastes/needs, the SLS is a fine car. Incidentally, I know this is probably heresy, but I like the outside look/style of the 1998-2004 Sevilles better than the new STS. But who knows, maybe the 2005 STS will start to grow onme too.

Whichever model you end up with, you will probably find some great bargains out there. If you can, get an extended warranty, many people here recommend it. I too think it is a good idea.

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Actually its exactly opposite, The SLS (Sport Luxury Sedan) is the plush ride with more standard creature comforts, a softer suspension (RSS), and a low end transmission("9" series HT480-E) than its body doubble the STS (Sport Touring Sedan) which is equipped with a firmer suspension (CVRSS) and a higher end torqued tranny (the "Y" edition).

As far as the standard Deville, the DTS (Deville Touring Sedan), and the DHS (Deville High Luxury Sedan) are concerned the diferences are such:

The Deville is the entry level of the D-Seires and comes standard with 16" painted aluminum wheels, stand up hood ornament, chromed grill, plush ride suspension (RSS) standard torque transmission ("9" seires HT480-E), stock Northstar (245hp) manual tilt wheel, digital instrument cluster (only one to have this), Cassette player, and dual climate zones. Heated seats, sunshades, CD player, and a few other items may be added at a cost (sunroofs available to all models).

The DTS is the sport model and comes standard with 17' chrome angle blade rims, painted grill with Cadillac emblem inlay, floor shift, permeated "vented" leather seats (also used a firmer seat pad below), power tilt telescope wheel, memory seats, lumbar, tinted windows, CD player, steering wheel interface, heated seats (front and rear), projection display instrument cluster, traction control, a sport tuned taransmission ("Y" edition) and suspension system (CVRSS), higher output Northstar (305hp) with a higher top speed. Some options may be deleted to suit buyers needs.

The DHS is the finest luxury Cadillac has to offer it shares its drive train and suspension system with the standard Deville, has all the features of the DTS [less the perforated firm leather, floor shifter, and rims], and also comes standard with massaging seats plush leather and supersoft seat pad, Rainsense wiper system, hand painted pinstripe, dual timers, Onstar (initally, moved to all models later), three climate zones, power rear seats, power rear sunshade, Cadillac trunk mat, 16" touring chrome rims, rear vanity mirrors. Again options could be deleted to suit buyers needs. This model was also the only one to offer the Pressure Sensitive Seating System developed by the Red Cross for burn victims, the seats constantly monitor body position and re-adjust air bladders within the seat to relive pressure every 10 sec. or so.

The DTS and DHS could both opt for night vision and Navigation although it was initally introduced on the DHS.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    Actually its exactly opposite, The SLS (Sport Luxury Sedan) is the plush ride with more standard creature comforts, a softer suspension (RSS), and a low end transmission("9" series HT480-E) than its body doubble the STS (Sport Touring Sedan) which is equipped with a firmer suspension (CVRSS) and a higher end torqued tranny (the "Y" edition).

As far as the standard Deville, the DTS (Deville Touring Sedan), and the DHS (Deville High Luxury Sedan) are concerned the diferences are such:

The Deville is the entry level of the D-Seires and comes standard with 16" painted aluminum wheels, stand up hood ornament, chromed grill, plush ride suspension (RSS) standard torque transmission ("9" seires HT480-E), stock Northstar (245hp) manual tilt wheel, digital instrument cluster (only one to have this), Cassette player, and dual climate zones. Heated seats, sunshades, CD player, and a few other items may be added at a cost (sunroofs available to all models).

The DTS is the sport model and comes standard with 17' chrome angle blade rims, painted grill with Cadillac emblem inlay, floor shift, permeated "vented" leather seats (also used a firmer seat pad below), power tilt telescope wheel, memory seats, lumbar, tinted windows, CD player, steering wheel interface, heated seats (front and rear), projection display instrument cluster, traction control, a sport tuned taransmission ("Y" edition) and suspension system (CVRSS), higher output Northstar (305hp) with a higher top speed. Some options may be deleted to suit buyers needs.

The DHS is the finest luxury Cadillac has to offer it shares its drive train and suspension system with the standard Deville, has all the features of the DTS [less the perforated firm leather, floor shifter, and rims], and also comes standard with massaging seats plush leather and supersoft seat pad, Rainsense wiper system, hand painted pinstripe, dual timers, Onstar (initally, moved to all models later), three climate zones, power rear seats, power rear sunshade, Cadillac trunk mat, 16" touring chrome rims, rear vanity mirrors. Again options could be deleted to suit buyers needs. This model was also the only one to offer the Pressure Sensitive Seating System developed by the Red Cross for burn victims, the seats constantly monitor body position and re-adjust air bladders within the seat to relive pressure every 10 sec. or so.

The DTS and DHS could both opt for night vision and Navigation although it was initally introduced on the DHS.
    you sure they have power rear seats?? ive never heard of that. DTS engine is rated at 300hp, and navigation was first introduced on the DTS and DHS i belive, but now you can get them on all the models.

Its atually a powered lumbar system that has some motor control over the entire seat back, but yep the rear seats are powered. The nightvision was initally tested for sale on the DHS but both DTS and DHS could opt for the Nav.

carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 1toycad
    For my tastes/needs, the SLS is a fine car. Incidentally, I know this is probably heresy, but I like the outside look/style of the 1998-2004 Sevilles better than the new STS. But who knows, maybe the 2005 STS will start to grow onme too.

Whichever model you end up with, you will probably find some great bargains out there. If you can, get an extended warranty, many people here recommend it. I too think it is a good idea.
    I cant agree more with you! The newer Seville looks more like a CTS/Infiniti. The authomakers seem to be making the cars into oval shaped, tiny boxes. They get curvier, and curvier.

SlickBlackCadillac, I think you are wrong about some of your SLS information.

SLS stands for Seville Luxury Sedan and not Sport Luxury Sedan. STS stands for Seville Touring Sedan and not for Sport Touring Sedan (I think that Sport touring would be redundant).

Some of the equipment included as "standard equipment" in my 1999 SLS included the following:

N* 275 hp engine
    Stabilitrak
    Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension (CVRSS) (in your post you mentioned that the SLS did not come equipped with CVRSS)
    Magnasteer III speed sensing steering
    All-speed traction control
    Front and side air bags
    Power and heated outside mirrors
    Genuine Zebrano wood (the Deville I drove had what appeared to be fake, plastic wood)
    Leather seats
    8-way pwer adjustable seats w/power headrests (the Deville I drove did not have powered headrests)
    Stereo system with CD player and casette player (the Deville I drove did not have a casette palyer--if oyu have a collection of books on tape, in casette format, then a casette player is a must )

To the standard features we added the "personalized package" that inlcuded memory seats, power lumbar support, rainsense, (all around) heated seats, power tilt/telescope, and home link garage door opener. We also added the BOSE option and chrome wheels.

I don't want to get into a Seville vs. Deville debate, but from what I saw and experienced when I drove the 2004 Deville, I think that my 1999 Seville, even in SLS clothing, is a nicer and more luxurious car. The Seville and Deville lines were aimed for different kinds of buyers/drivers, so it is only right that they should be different.

I like the current style SLS. If it weren't for the fact that my SLS only has 24K miles I would buy a new 2004 SLS. Being the last year of the SLS line it would hae all the bugs worked out and, to some people, it may even have some collector value down the line. With all the rush to get a 2005 STS, the 2004 may be quite a bargain.

1Toycad, you are right about the SLS info, that was my error. I shouldn't state info without checking all my facts, I should pay more attention to the Sevilles.

But to compare a SLS or STS to a Deville is unbalaced. Both the SLS and STS are drivers cars, therefore they come standard with more options than the standard Deville, which is more of an entry level luxuary car whose entire design was based around "traditional" Cadillac buyers. Cadillac kept the Deville a simple luxury car, trying to minimise cost and features the "traditional" buyers were not accustomed to. This is why, for example, it is the only car in the D-Seires to have a hood ornament, digital dash, and (glup) immitation wood. Buyers looking to put themselves into the realm of true luxuary sprung for the DTS or even more so the DHS which is available to every single acomadation Cadillac has to offer (even some unavailable to other Cadillac brands (both have real wood). The DHS is Cadillac in its true heritage, a big, luxuary car that sets the standard for sophistication. To do a fair comparision between the S-Seires and D-Seires, drive a STS then drive a DTS. Although the "S" is the spotier of the two, at least the big "D" will give it a run for its money, may even change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    1Toycad, you are right about the SLS info, that was my error. I shouldn't state info without checking all my facts, I should pay more attention to the Sevilles.

But to compare a SLS or STS to a Deville is unbalaced. Both the SLS and STS are drivers cars, therefore they come standard with more options than the standard Deville, which is more of an entry level luxuary car whose entire design was based around "traditional" Cadillac buyers. Cadillac kept the Deville a simple luxury car, trying to minimise cost and features the "traditional" buyers were not accustomed to. This is why, for example, it is the only car in the D-Seires to have a hood ornament, digital dash, and (glup) immitation wood. Buyers looking to put themselves into the realm of true luxuary sprung for the DTS or even more so the DHS which is available to every single acomadation Cadillac has to offer (even some unavailable to other Cadillac brands (both have real wood). The DHS is Cadillac in its true heritage, a big, luxuary car that sets the standard for sophistication. To do a fair comparision between the S-Seires and D-Seires, drive a STS then drive a DTS. Although the "S" is the spotier of the two, at least the big "D" will give it a run for its money, may even change your mind.
    SBC: I wasn't attempting to do a side by side comparo. I think that I stated that the Seville and the Deville (all three series) were aimed at different customers/markets. So it makes sense that they would be very different cars.

SBC, I agree with you that doing a straight-up comparo of the Seville and the Deville lines would be like comparing apples to oranges. Not a real fair comparo. The original poster was trying to decide between a Seville or a Deville. I thought I would just point out some of the obvious differences. Eventually, we buy the cars that are best suited to our taste standards--and that have monthly payments that we can live with.

The Deville that I rented was the stripped down model tha tis often found at rentals car companies. Personally, I hate it when Caddy make and sells stripped down versions of their cars. I think it waters down the brand, but that's just my opinion.

I think that the DTS, in all black dress (black interiors/exteriors) with extra-wide tires and chrome wheels is an awesome looking car and I am sure that it is also an awesome highway cruiser. It is also very roomy inside.

Right now, if I was to trade my all-black SLS for an existing Caddy, I would only trade it for an all-black DTS.

1Toycad, I totally agree with you about selling raw versions of otherwise expensive items. It makes it difficult for people, who spent the extra money, to feel accomplished when a half priced doubble pulls feeling just as smart. On a similar note I purchaced some very expensive 20" SpinTek rims to turn some heads, yet I was asked by an individual the other day if "those were the plastic ones" ($35 at AutoZone and only in 16"'s). I couldn't believe it; a dorked down version of my wheels had obviously entertained someone enough at one point that they were convinced there wasn't a difference. So why the heck do we spend the extra money? Because at least there are people like you and I (and most the people on this forum) who appreciate and understand that there is a difference. Heres to us.

When you have a Hyundai that looks like a Benz, itis time to get out of Dodge.

Incidentally, I've always liked big, fast "stelath" sedans. My first car, back in HIgh School, was an Olds Delta Super Rocket 88. It didn't look like much...but it could sure haul ass!!!!

Here's to us, indeed! :drinker

Smokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree the Sevilles and the DHS, DTS are the "better" Cadillacs than my Deville. However, if your wanting the look without the price, find a loaded up Deville and you will not be sorry, until you try to sell it. As for the features on the higher end Caddys, they also equate to more expense later on. While the Stabilitak is awsome, try buying replacement struts for those Caddys and you'll learn what price performance comes with. Heck, most people can not tell my Deville from a DTS or DHS anyway. With the "LIMITED" badging added by an aftermarket company, they really scratch their heads. The only option mine does not have that could be had on the Deville was a CD changer. The biggest difference to most people is the 5K-8K lower price on a car that looks the same to 99% of people out there.

2001blackdev is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Very true...my 2001 "plain" deville is nicer-looking that some DTS's I've seen (my opinion though, so of course it's biased ). My car was used, and it had the stock 16 inch wheels in chrome, and really dark tint on the windows. The fact that it's a black Deville in Florida makes it almost rare.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.