trans. message 717
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, trans. message 717 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, I'm a new and previously happy caddy owner. Just bought a 96 sedan deville for $5500 at the ...
    mrhyde719003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down trans. message 717

Hello all, I'm a new and previously happy caddy owner. Just bought a 96 sedan deville for $5500 at the auction, and I'm driving home with this "hey I just won the Lotto" smile and the service transmission message comes on. So I figure its something simple since it seems to shift fine. I take it to be scaned, error code 717 low imput speed sensor. Next I take it to the local transmission shop to get an estimate. He tells me $30 part-$900 labor!!! Now I know I'll have to take this one on the chin, but can anyone tell me if this is a common thing with the 96 devilles or if there were any recalls. I have did a little research on this problem and I've found I'm not the only one that has had this. Also what kind of damage will this cause if I continue to drive with this fault? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: trans. message 717

Hi MrHyde! Welcome aboard.. And thank you for signing up! Since I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm going to highlight this post so others will see it easier.. Someone should be here to help you shortly...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

jert is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrhyde719003
    Hello all, I'm a new and previously happy caddy owner. Just bought a 96 sedan deville for $5500 at the auction, and I'm driving home with this "hey I just won the Lotto" smile and the service transmission message comes on. So I figure its something simple since it seems to shift fine. I take it to be scaned, error code 717 low imput speed sensor. Next I take it to the local transmission shop to get an estimate. He tells me $30 part-$900 labor!!! Now I know I'll have to take this one on the chin, but can anyone tell me if this is a common thing with the 96 devilles or if there were any recalls. I have did a little research on this problem and I've found I'm not the only one that has had this. Also what kind of damage will this cause if I continue to drive with this fault? Thanks
    Hello .... sounds just like me, I bought one (96 deVille) and the sensor failed but mine would not shift out of second because of the sensor (limp mode is what they call it) and its a tough one to get to, and cadillac did not put the best sensor in there .. there is a updated sensor to replace it ... I told my mechanic to rebuild my tranny while it was out and on the bench... cost me $1600 @85,000 miles... good luck

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

There are 2 speed sensors....... One on the tranny input shaft <very bad> and one near the wheel well (easy to get at).......... The sensors are known to fail...... Hopefully the one that failed is the one behind the wheel well, and not the one on the tranny shaft......... You have to drop the tranny to do the latter!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.