Tune up time! Recommendations? (and something new and cool happened too!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Tune up time! Recommendations? (and something new and cool happened too!) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I am getting up and ready to do the needed and neglected maintanance (basics really, plugs, wires, coolant, etc...) ...
    mysedan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 sedan deville

Tune up time! Recommendations? (and something new and cool happened too!)

So I am getting up and ready to do the needed and neglected maintanance (basics really, plugs, wires, coolant, etc...) Any help of tips here be real appreciated. I was looking at the rear plugs (so in reality I glanced in their general direction and that was about it) and from first glance they dont look very fun (like worse than my camaro or stang) and I was checking the coolant and its looking lil rusty colored...so a flush is coming, trans fluid and filter (I know some people say dont but I did it on a Maxima I owned and it made the world of difference in shifting), noticed also the upper engine mount/anti vibration thing(that connects from the block towards the radiator has NO rubber in it basically...so thats gonna be replaced also.

so the cool thing that happened today is that I cleared all my codes the other day, ran the monitor system and the things came back (low refrigerant/low washer fluid/service engine soon/traction disabled)...well did some SEARCHING on here (yea, used the search button) and found why I think my cruise isnt working (apparently if your traction control is having a issue the cruise shuts down? I wondered about that sincer everything on the cruise syustem looked good an functional) and just recently I went to head for the store and ALL but the traction message DISAPPEARED!!! SWEET!!! Hoping it wasnt some weird fluke that was only gonna last for a few seconds...I went for a cruise around the valley some and they never came back on..........and now when I shift into PARK and its not saying gear indicator fault....that was pretty awesome.

so basically it was a pretty cool day without really having to do anything. And it says I am getting 21.9 to the gallon...that pretty decent?

would like to thank everybody on the forums here for any and all help so far...you guys have been a lifesaver and kept me from getting the wife pissed about the car....now she is even starting to like it some

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Akiragrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Re: Tune up time! Recommendations? (and something new and cool happened too!)

Quote Originally Posted by mysedan View Post
    needed and neglected maintanance (basics really, plugs, wires, coolant, etc...)
    My reading on these forums has told me that neglecting coolant maintenance is the kiss of death if you have a Northstar under the hood. Search for "Coolant" and do some reading. Such should instill some much needed respect for this topic in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiragrey View Post
    My reading on these forums has told me that neglecting coolant maintenance is the kiss of death if you have a Northstar under the hood. Search for "Coolant" and do some reading. Such should instill some much needed respect for this topic in you.
    Thankfully I have the 4.9 motor....but I am a maintanance FREAK...I cant stand when it isnt done...even on my Mazda truck I traded for this I had over 215,xxx and I had fixed all the problems on it.(bought the truck with a tick over 100k but it was seriously uncared for...like basically MUD in the radiator.....we wont talk about the sludge in the motor that I found..or the shutting down at every stoplight because the previous owner couldnt replace a $4 part...all parts that I used to talk the price down and left with said truck for $650...from $2k that was being asked)

The cad was advertised at $2600...the Mazda was saled for $2200...I used the difference in my favor by also getting my stereo back and a few other lil things...so I think I came out ok.

The neglected...it isnt THAT bad,,,,in some term of some people I would guess...the rad is full, its more or less clean fluid(just not to my liking) and it isnt in bad shape....could look cleaner, be shinier(a good detailing would do that and since I used to detail that obviously will be getting done)....I just wanna know the next time I go to Vegas my car wont let me down (I drove the Mazda several times after I maintained it...and usually cruising about 80-90mph)....My fiance and I do Vegas SEVERAL times a year as well as San Diego and such....but we do like being comfy along the way (she usually sleeps)

I have been doing LOTS of reading in the forums here.

I noticed some people using NGK plugs...I thought those were mostly for foreign type vehicles...autolights have always worked best for me in American cars...thought that was a tad curious...buut hey...if they work for someone...alrighty then!

i have zero plans for synth oil....I do respect it and I may do it sometime...but at this moment...just reg oil should do fine. Especially since I see it takes like 7+ quarts???? yikes. Oh well. I am a valvoline fan but I have seen even ranger suggested the super tech I believe (I may be wrong...but I know I saw it recently)....coolant flush is for my personal taste and peace of mind.

I am curious if I have a timing chain or Belt? I believe I read it has a chain...which gives me a much needed peace in my head(too many cars that needed belts right away)....I do have a new water pump installed so thats a headache saved already.

Just didnt like looking at them rear plugs....looks like a chore to get too. LOL

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

noticed also the upper engine mount/anti vibration thing(that connects from the block towards the radiator has NO rubber in it basically
    That is called a torque strut. It has nothing to do with vibration. Just keeps the engine from torquing on WOT.
    like basically MUD in the radiator
    That may have been the cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs.
    I noticed some people using NGK plugs...I thought those were mostly for foreign type vehicles...autolights have always worked best for me in American cars.
    I'd stick with A/C Delco
    I am a valvoline fan but I have seen even ranger suggested the super tech I believe (I may be wrong...but I know I saw it recently)
    That is what I use.
    I am curious if I have a timing chain or Belt?
    The 4.9 has a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That is called a torque strut. It has nothing to do with vibration. Just keeps the engine from torquing on WOT.

That may have been the cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs.

I'd stick with A/C Delco

That is what I use.

The 4.9 has a chain.

Thanks Ranger!!

The chain is a big relief in my head...I have had so many cars with belts..last car I owned that had a chain was the camaro and that was some time back...99 SS.

The mud..that was in the Mazda truck...very poorly uncared for...it left in a million percent better shape than it arrived in.

I will get that torque thrust deal replaced (just cant stand things not being done to the T)

any advice on flushing the cooling system?

Also have a appt for the AC to get checked out with a new shop (but I trust them, have dealt with their parts for years and its ALL they do...nothing else)so hopefully this week I get my AC back together

You all have been a great help and saved me ALOT of money so far on this car for repairs and such. Loving this forum

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I wouldn't bother flushing the cooling system. Just drain and refill 50/50 coolant/distilled water.

Akiragrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Huh ... this thread brings up an odd thought.

When purchasing from a used car lot or a second owner, it's hard to be certain that the previous owner(s) kept the coolant at 50/50 and with the right stuff (dex cool, distilled water)

What would the be best protocol to follow after snatching up a used N* Cadillac and you were having coolant related doubts? Would I be best just taking it straight to a dealer and have the coolant flushed and refilled properly by someone that knows what not to do?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Take it straight to a GM dealer and have the DEXCOOL changed. They use vacuum machines and you won't go through the endless bleeding and heater core bubbles otherwise.......It ain't cheap, but then there's peace of mind.

While the car is there have the Service Writer pull the GM VIS for your car. All GM recall, warranty, and some service work performed is in the big computer in the sky.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.