Timing Belt Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Timing Belt Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I'm looking at 1990-1993 DeVille's for sale online to compare to my 1992 DeVille, many of them are saying ...
    Sporty883 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille

Timing Belt Question

When I'm looking at 1990-1993 DeVille's for sale online to compare to my 1992 DeVille, many of them are saying "new timing belt" or "timing belt recently replaced". What and where is the timing belt? Is it another name for Serpentine belt? I replaced the Serp. belt about 1,000 miles ago, currently I have 70,000 on the clock. Is the timing belt something that should be replaced? Does it break often?

Also, how can I find previous threads I've either started or responded to. There is a answer in a previous thread that I started but can't find it and don't want to start another thread to get the answer again.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mysedan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 sedan deville

Re: Timing Belt Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty883 View Post
    When I'm looking at 1990-1993 DeVille's for sale online to compare to my 1992 DeVille, many of them are saying "new timing belt" or "timing belt recently replaced". What and where is the timing belt? Is it another name for Serpentine belt? I replaced the Serp. belt about 1,000 miles ago, currently I have 70,000 on the clock. Is the timing belt something that should be replaced? Does it break often?

Also, how can I find previous threads I've either started or responded to. There is a answer in a previous thread that I started but can't find it and don't want to start another thread to get the answer again.

thanks
    timig belts CAN snap..and they can cause damage to the motor. It should be replaced around 60-70,000 miles. it is not a different name for a serp. belt. A timing belt is inside the motor.

You can use the search up top of this thread and put in some words you have used in previous threads and click the button that says (poster)

here I have attached a search/advanced screen snap I took for you to make it easier

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Northstars have chains (3), other engines have internal cogged belts and some still have gear cam drives. It all depends on the engine.

If I click on your username I get a menu. One of the options is "Find all posts by XXXXXXX".

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

'90 - '93 Devilles should be 4.9.s, but I can't recall if they had a belt or a chain.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I'm almost positive the 4.9's have a chain, that's why they last 250,000 miles. Those people are either mistaking the serpentine belt of they got scammed.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

There's no way the 4.9 uses a belt. Not at all.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

The 4.9 uses a chain. About the only time you ever see a timing belt is on a cheaply built DOHC motor. The 4.9 is still an old fashioned push rod motor, built the way they should be and needs very little maintenance.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

As others have stated, the 4.9 uses a timing chain, not a belt. The chain should last several hundred thousand miles without problem, however if it were to fail, the 4.9 is a non-interference engine, which means the pistons would NOT hit the valves and cause internal damage like most motors.

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

Yes the 4.9 has a timing chain located behind the timing cover, where the water pump attaches too. It's not real hard to change i did mines two months ago. i did mines because the water pump went out and i did not feel like tearing it apart again if the timing chain went.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.