Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1994 sedan deville, engine bay HOT!!

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  DanielDeville 
#1 ·
Sometimes when i open the hood of my car the engine bay is VERY HOT.I understand its an engine and that happens but this seems like too much. It even hurts a little to touch the windsheild washer tank. I get no codes or messages for overheating. no smoke, steam, or other problems id expect from overheating. to make matters worse my a/c seems to blow whatever air is outside. Any suggestions. Thankyou in advance

#3 ·
'94 will not display the coolant temp. That wasn't available across all models until '96.

As long as the car is not telling you it is overheating, do not worry. These engines run hot to improve fuel economy and emissions. The coolant temp will be anywhere from 215-230 in city driving, so it will be very hot under the hood when you open it.

#13 ·
update. So i wanted to be sure about the compressor and looked under the hood, it looks like the pulley is spinning but the side of the pump is still staying still, like inside the pulley if you know what i mean, im guessing this is the compressor clutch and it doesnt engage it just sits there wit the ac on, and ichecked my compressor fuse which was good, so do i need to replace the compressor?The tubes felt kinda cool at best but not cold. Also i tried to do a search on how to do the dic hack for 94's but didnt have any luck, does anyone know the title?? or link maybe? Thanks alot

#14 ·
Yeah, that's the clutch and when the center is not spinning, it is disengaged. It probably needs a refrigerant top off. The compressor gets disabled when it is low so it does not self destruct. The tubes won't be cold when the compressor is not running. No refrigerant running through them. If it was working, they'd be ice cold and sweating.

#16 ·
Yes it should set a low refrigerant DTC. Just get the refrigerant, not one with a sealer in it. You will have to figure out why the compressor is not running to add refrigerant. Usually all you have to to is clear the DTC to enable the compressor. If you do not have one, then there is another problem and the system may not need a charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.