Resale Values, help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Resale Values, help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can anyone help me out with resale values? A couple weeks ago I was looking at a 1995 Deville, for ...
    carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Exclamation Resale Values, help

Can anyone help me out with resale values?

A couple weeks ago I was looking at a 1995 Deville, for $4,995.00 with 93k miles on the clock, it sold.

Now, I found another one, this one is also a 1995 model, both with the 4.9 ltr. The one I am looking at has leather, chrome wheels, and the carriage top, about 91,000 miles on it, looks great. Now, heres the bad news, they want $6,200.00 bucks for it! :madtalkin

This is at a dealership that sells Honda's. But, come on, that is way to much. The car is 10 years old, has 91,000 miles, the shocks are $800.00 bucks a piece from Cadillac, it has the less powerful engine. Not to mention, theres no warranty so who knows what could just fail, and then I'd be stuck with the bill. Also, will be flushing all fluids from the vehicle, another expense. So, I think that $6,200.00 is a joke, but the KBB value says its worth more.

How the heck would I drive the cost down of the car, and not sound desperate? I would like to pay $2,500 for it, or $3,000.00 out the door.

What can I look for on the car to say, "Oh, thats not good, oh thats expensive, what PREMIUM fuel?!" Thanks, I just want to drive the price down. For that money I can buy a crappy Hyundai, of course I wouldnt do that, but its just pricey.

The car looks like it was garage kept, as the carriage top looks excellent, the paint looks excellent, as does those stock chrome wheels...

Ironically, they also have a 1996 Lincoln Towncar there with 66,000 miles for $5,200.00s, that LESS then the Deville, it has less miles, and its a year newer! Not to mention it has RWD, a more fuel effecient 4.6 ltr V8, and I dont think it needs premium either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Re: Resale Values, help

Wow, that's too much!

I just bought my 94 Deville with 94k miles for $3,500! It's in great shape, the interior looks new, and the paint is very close to new! It's a gorgeous car and I've already had offers from people to buy it!
    I think you should shop around, you'll find a car for much less than that!

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

A 1995 Deville with the 4.9L?

daacon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elgance

That seems high, but like most anything it is worth what someone will pay for it. If it is on the lot for a while , the price will drop.

Resale value is subjective and like you mentioned there are always repairs to be made on a used vehicle. I bought mine for what some might consider too much - others have told me I stole it !(it is in great shape).

Sine ownership I have put 2k into reparis and still have the struts to do so my reapirs will soon be close to what I paid for it. That said I got a great car and I know what has been replaced. Only biggie I should have left is Tranny and there are no signs it is not in great shape. (120k Miles )

So 6k may be high but if all the the major repaits were recently done. (albiet these repairs do not increase resale becuase it is maintenance still it will cost $$$ to have them done)

my $0.02

Cool Re: Resale Values, help

Thanks for the info, I know that $6,200 is way to much...Try explain that to the salesman, maybe I should go in there and start talking jargon!

Pull the codes off of the display, "Oh uh, we got some codes here", tell him the price for new shocks, bounce the sides of the car "Nope, going to need new shocks", put the price for all fluids to be flushed. Lets not forget, once you drive it off of the lot, the price is cut i half!

They also have a 1992 Cadillac Seville STS, with ugly after market rims on the car, 114,000 miles, and they are asking $3,700.00 hundred for it! But, I suppose they have it high, so when people like me come along try to bring the price down, I think I will be getting a good deal, that sound right??? But, the mileage is a little bit excessive...

But, I really want to shoot for the Deville. They look better then the 1992 Seville, the 1992's have that big goofy Chevy Cavalier steering wheel seen in most newer Caveliers/Cameros...Not to mention, the steering wheel has more places to grip on the 1995 Devilles, and the Deville just looks better, in my opinion.

The only problem is, I can only spend so much for the car. I dont think I will be able to go over $3,500.00, I will be lucky if I can go over $3,000.00

daacon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elgance

I have 1992 with about 120k not too many miles I think (If it has been looked after - I am third owner and first two owners did - me too). The 4.9 can go 300k if looked after.

Back to shock thing ...started at rear strut replacement - now I am up to a full suspension replacement (shocks, springs, mounts) plus the "height sensor/Load Levelor" motor is hooped - total bill is gonna be around 2.5k. The money I have put in (I have owned the car about one month) now exceeds what I paid for it. (Maintenance items)

But I did this with my eyes open (although this strut thing is still hurting me - don't get the car till Monday evening get to brood over it all weekend - Hopefully it rides like a dream).

Everything else is good to great.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You don't need to find anything wrong with it. Walk in with check book in hand so the salesman knows you are serious. Offer him what you are willing to pay. If he says no (which he probably will) get up and walk. Chances are, if your offer was reasonable, you won't get out the door , "A bird in the hand...." Remember, the higher they price it, the more room they have to haggle, and there is always the chance that some chump will walk in and pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    You don't need to find anything wrong with it. Walk in with check book in hand so the salesman knows you are serious. Offer him what you are willing to pay. If he says no (which he probably will) get up and walk. Chances are, if your offer was reasonable, you won't get out the door , "A bird in the hand...." Remember, the higher they price it, the more room they have to haggle, and there is always the chance that some chump will walk in and pay it.
    The car will be payed with by Credit Card, dont suppose you could flash plastic? Hope they take Discover...Anyways, I probably will get at least 20,000 to 40,000 miles on the car before it gets traded for another car...

Ok, below are a couple of pictures of the cars:

1992 Seville: $3,700 bucks, STS, 114,000 miles, ugly rims I can do with out(just a magnet for theft)

1995 Deville: $6,200 bucks, sedan, 91,000 miles, nice chrome rims, carriage top, nice interior, exterior.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

check ebay

heres a 95 with 95k miles, kinda beat condition current 2000$ 1 day to go (see where it ends up)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6146

at the high end heres a beauty with only 82k miles

comes with some kinda warranty

i bought mine on ebay, was a great deal better than expected

let us know what you get

Smile Re: Resale Values, help

Quote Originally Posted by powerglide
    check ebay

heres a 95 with 95k miles, kinda beat condition current 2000$ 1 day to go (see where it ends up)

at the high end heres a beauty with only 82k miles

comes with some kinda warranty

i bought mine on ebay, was a great deal better than expected

let us know what you get
    There is only one major problem with buying on ebaymotors, you cant inspect the car until you go down there, shipping charges are probably $500.00 bucks...Other then that, there are some sweet deals on there.

Ebay is a good place to look at cars from all angles, people list pictures of everything, dash, steering wheel, climate systems, etc...

I have found some private sellers, that are selling their cars dirt cheap, maybe I should consider giving them a call? I was looking at the cars on Edmunds, someone was selling a 1994 or 1995 Deville Concourse, it had a 'bad engine' noise, they wanted $1,800.00 for it. How ever, I think this one had the Northstar in it. But, not really worth it. Just gotta be patient and play it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    A 1995 Deville with the 4.9L?
    Yes, it has the 4.9 ltr.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: Resale Values, help

Good points (about shopping on ebay)
    I use to mainly to dream.....actually to get a good look at the different photos people post. They tell the real story of the construction, wear etc of the car....much more revealing than most images you can find elsewhere.
    eBay nightmares abound I am sure, but plenty of good cases too. Looks like most caddies on ebay (good ones are from Florida) lots from texas. A car dealer told me in his experience texas cars are often flood damaged (although i bet texans say that about florida cars too!)

My ebay tale:
    I looked on ebay for a many weeks, found a couple that looked REALLY clean. Contacted the owners, spoke on the phone and email a few times, bought one over the phone (not on eBay !! this is very risky btw, no protection for your transaction). Quit my job (as I had planned) , flew from Tokyo straight to Florida the next month. He came to the hotel we were at in florida, I drove the car around and inspected it throroughly, drove to a bank together and transfered funds. I drove the car to Key West the next day for a couple days to vacation and shake down the car (good thing cuz it turned out the remote he gave me was for a different car, swung by his shop on the way home to pick up the right one), drove all the way tp NYC where I live now. The cars now got about 20K miles on it since i bought it. Survived the harsh winter in style, despite being street parked. All in all better than expected experience.

I paid about 11K$ all said which is kinda high even back then (there were some at 7800 that was almost as nice but 97) anyways, I overpaid a bit with my eyes open because I thought I was getting an unusually nice condition car.
    Sometimes when driving by the poor bastards broken down on the FDR at night, in the winter, fknup traffic.......makes you think you gotta pay extra to make sure that wont be you)

to that end I'd stay away from the cheapo engine noise caddy (unless you take a look and find its pristine, owned by idiot, noise caused by slipping belt or something..)

all in all check ebay, autotrader and other national listings, if you get a good one do your homework like CARFAX, phone calls. Then buy a 49$ one way air tiicket on Jetblue, and you could be on your way to the best vacation!

good luck

Exclamation Re: Resale Values, help

Quote Originally Posted by powerglide

all in all check ebay, autotrader and other national listings, if you get a good one do your homework like CARFAX, phone calls. Then buy a 49$ one way air tiicket on Jetblue, and you could be on your way to the best vacation!

good luck
    You just brought something up, go check CarFax. In the heat of the moment, one might consider buying a CarFax, but then you have to go home, and come back, etc...So in the moment you open the hood, look for anything out of the ordinary, and then you find yourself signing the papers to buy the car.

There are some dealers that have "FREE CARFAX" reports, for example, my dad bought a used Saturn, the question was asked was the car in any accidents, the guy goes back in the dealership, comes out with a freshly printed CarFax report. But, you could probably pay the dealer for a CarFax report, they have internet access? Not to mention, if they say they dont do CarFax reports, Id say are you trying to hide something, and probably walk away...

To tell a story here, a couple years ago, April 2002, I went with my mom to the Ford dealership to pick up a Free jumbo umbrella, or something just for stopping by. While they are doing that, I am looking over some used Ford Taurus' out on the used lot. There was a salesman there, I think I asked him a single question, I forgot what it was. Anyways, we got the umbrella, or what ever the heck it was, and started making a be-line for the car. After walking about 20-30 seconds and about 10 feet from our car, the salesman comes barging along, now this is a big guy, he comes up and says, "How'd you like to make a deal?"

Now, this is at a tent sale, and I assume the cars were trucked in, or drove down to this lot, a 25 miles drive. He says he doesnt want to have to pay money to drive them back, or what ever, and the manager wanted to make a deal. The car I was looking at they wanted $15,000 I think for it, it had 31,000 miles on the clock. Of course, the manager came over and started looking at the Taurus, trying to figure which one he could make a 'deal' on.

He try's to sell my mom a 1999 Taurus thats red, and he opens the door and says "Take look inside, see if you like it", of course Im like "No." I tell him it must be 2000 or newer, since 2000 was the year they redesigned them, so they didnt look so ugly any more. He finally pokes around, and finds a 2000 on the lot, I think he tried offering $11,000.00 for it, we accepeted, we had to pay taxes and dealer fee's as well, it was still in the $11,000 range though. The car was pretty loaded, for a Ford anyways, a factory Mach Audio sterio system, 6 disc CD changer, the upgraded 24V DOHC Duratec 3.0ltr V6, power adjustable pedals, seat, 4 air bags, ABS, traction, I thought it was a steal.

But, a little later we started having problems with it:

Driver side door lock went out under warranty, the step lamp module which allows you to shift when your foot was on the brake started going bad, it was really hard to shift out of park. Both of these were fixed under warranty, then later down the road they recalled the park brake lamp, as other people had cited problems with it as well.

As of today, there is an un-operated driver side passenger window that is not working, we had to spend $1,200 bucks for a new oil gasket, a new CV Joint, and 5 quarts of oil. Apparently all of this was required to change out the CV joint, I guess they had to pull the oil pan? Not to mention, when you are doing 30-35 MPH, and the car is in a high gear, the car lugs/jerks ever so lightly. When you give it gas it barely accelerates, unless you step on the gas, the car will downshift and take off, or you can shift into over drive and the RPM's will climb and the lugging will stop.

At the time we asked them if it was ever in an accident, and they told us if it was they wouldnt sell the car, we asked to put it in writing but they couldnt. But, we still ended up buying the car. Thank fully we got it cheap, because if we paid $15,000 for it, we would have been ripped off...We still own the car today, it is about to hit 60,000 miles.

So thats why I dont want to pay such an exorbetent ammount of money for a 1995 Deville with that many miles on the clock, or the 1992 Seville either. But, I would recomend a CarFax for any car you purchase.

On another note, if the CarFax comes back as a salvage, or lemon, would you still go back to the dealership and say, "Hey! This CarFax says it was wrecked, I'll give you a $1,000.00 bucks for it!"

s.a.cad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I purchased a 1993 Deville, mint condition, 99,500mi. , from an older couple for $3,500. I thought it was a great buy. Spent about $1,500 getting all the fluids changed, a complete tune-up, new tires, and struts all the way around. I could not get the electronic struts so I opted for Monroe sensatracs the front cost 56.00 each and the rear air struts cost about 70.00 each and had them all installed for $250.00 a bargin compared to the OEM ones and they ride a whole lot better. As for the Service SSS light, I just cracked the dash open and removed the bulb on the telltale. Problem solved. As for the comment on crappy Hyundais, Well let me tell you, I own two. A 2003 Sonata LX-V6 and a 2004 XG350L. These are the best darn cars I have ever owned. If you had not read about this, They beat Toyota in JD Powers Quality Survey for 2004. Hyundai had 102 problems per 100 cars and Toyota had 104 problems per 100 cars. I am a diehard Cadillac fan and an even greater Hyundai fan. I paid 21,500 for my XG with every option available, leather, heated memory seats, auto A/C, sunroof, 5 speed auto w/sportshifter, ABS w/traction and EBD, Infinity audio system and Homelink. What a bargain. more room than a CTS and just as luxurious.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.cad
    I purchased a 1993 Deville, mint condition, 99,500mi. , from an older couple for $3,500. I thought it was a great buy. Spent about $1,500 getting all the fluids changed, a complete tune-up, As for the comment on crappy Hyundais, Well let me tell you, I own two. A 2003 Sonata LX-V6 and a 2004 XG350L. These are the best darn cars I have ever owned. If you had not read about this, They beat Toyota in JD Powers Quality Survey for 2004. Hyundai had 102 problems per 100 cars and Toyota had 104 problems per 100 cars. I am a diehard Cadillac fan and an even greater Hyundai fan. I paid 21,500 for my
    Ok, well more of a figure of speech. If I were at a dealer, I would say that. But, every car has its problems, congrats on your Hyundai. Thanks for the info on the tune up/fluid changes, could you be more specific on where you got your fluids changed, what fluids were changed, and exactly what you did for the tuneup? Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.