Well, My Tranny Blew Up. 2000 DHS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Well, My Tranny Blew Up. 2000 DHS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was driving down the road and heard a high pitched torque converter whine followed by a gear disengagement. Limped ...
    Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well, My Tranny Blew Up. 2000 DHS

I was driving down the road and heard a high pitched torque converter whine followed by a gear disengagement. Limped her home and smoke was billowing from the vent tube and filler hole. Tranny shop said the torque converter flew apart and the pump seized. $3000.00 to fix! I am really pissed right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Re: Well, My Tranny Blew Up. 2000 DHS

What size rims you riddin on???? How heavy???

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

How many miles?

The rims are 20" Velocitys with a 20" Spintek on them = 80lbs a piece. But the car has just over 90k on the clock. Waaaay to early to blow a tranny.

Damn...arnt the stock like 30-40 lbs each....you doubled it. I dont know if that would cause it though...but I think it contributed to it.

Yeah I thought about that too, so I went down and asked the shop that has my car and asked them. He said no way (he also said he didn't like the rims though) said that its a 200k mile tranny and that he had never seen anything this destroyed before, great I love being the first.

Its a pretty strong transmission....I cant see why it would just be the trans fault....I feel that the rims had something to do with it.

So far the theory is that a thick additive was poured into the tranny at some point, it then proceded to gum up the pump. While I was driving the pump got very hot trying to pull this thick liquid through, this starved the torque converter of fluid which in turn also got dry and hot, slipping was then produced. Eventually the heat was too much strain on the works and the torque converter flew apart inside setting it off balance thus tearing the internal parts to shreads. Tranny Junk. Or something like that, he explainned it better. So it appears our culprit is a tranny additive. One very very expensive tranny additive.

How many miles were on the car when you got it.......I cant believe someone would put tranny aditive in a car that had such low mileage.....that really sucks.....are you gonna get a rebuilt...I suggest getting stronger parts while your at it.

Abben32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That is such a shame. and it only has 90k. Do you still have a warranty? 3k why dont you just get it rebuilt? did you also do a tranny flush?

I asked if I could get a rebuild, so it'd be like new again. Small problem aparently, there was nothing left to rebuild. This thing is just destroyed. I thought it might be like some mechanic BS to avoid doing a larger project untill he showed me the parts. Everyting was shredded including bits of the tranny case! So a re-build using this tranny was out of the question. Car is supposed to be done today sometime. Anybody want any bad luck? I seem to have more than enough to go around.

So wht did u do,,,,, buy a new trans...or buy a used rebuilt one??

carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Do you know when the additive was added? How long have you owned the car? Another good reason to flush everything, you dont know whats lurking...

I've owned the car for a few months now, no clue when the additive was put in. I ended up getting a 25k mile used one from a salvage yard. I want to keep my old tranny, take it apart and see what it looks like inside, but the shop said theres a $700 core cahrge. From a salavage yard!? Sounds like BS from someone who wants to make an extra $700 I paid for both trannys dosen't that make them mine?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.