2002 Deville DTS Towing Capacity
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2002 Deville DTS Towing Capacity in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My parents have a 2002 DTS; I was amazed to find out that the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. ...
    tdc3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2002 Deville DTS Towing Capacity

My parents have a 2002 DTS; I was amazed to find out that the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. Why?? I thought people use these things to tow large trailors. With a 300 HP engine, this top of the line car should be able to tow a house. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket tow packages that would enable the car to tow more and not invalidate the warranty?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 2002 Deville DTS Towing Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by tdc3
    My parents have a 2002 DTS; I was amazed to find out that the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. Why?? I thought people use these things to tow large trailors. With a 300 HP engine, this top of the line car should be able to tow a house. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket tow packages that would enable the car to tow more and not invalidate the warranty?
    There are many things that limit trailer towing capacity on vehicles. Cooling capacity for the engine and transmission are at the top of the list. Structural requirements for the addition of a hitch can also be an issue. With a frame integral car the trailer hitch loads at the rear of the car can be a significant issue regarding the structure of the car and if the structure of the car is not capable of handling high tongue weights on the hitch then the trailering capacity is limited.

Not sure of your understanding of trailering requirements and such but just because a car is the "top of the line" does not mean it was designed to tow heavy loads. Trailering capacity is very limited on many many vehicles.

You can tow with the DTS but the capacity of the car to tow anything over 2000 pounds is very limited.

Understand that when a manufacturer validates a vehile to tow heavy loads it is always done with the worst case scenario in mind...i.e...the assumption is always there that an owner may very well put the maxiumum capacity trailer load behind the vehicle already loaded to GVW and then head across Death Valley in the summer and try to climb the steep grades to exit Death Valley. So trucks and such that are rated to tow 10,000 pounds or so are tested under those conditions to validate the performance of the package...and much heavier dury radiators, cooling fans, trans coolers, oil coolers, etc. are all engineered into the package to allow the vehicle to successfully tow under those extreme conditions.

If you use some common sense and limit the load, speed, etc. of the trailer the vehicles can often tow much more than the limitations put on trailering by the manufacturer in less stringent conditions...i.e...the car can tow a lot more on a 70 degree day than on a 110 degree day without overheating or having other problems.

The Cadillac FWD cars also have other limitations in the transmission in the form of the VCC used to lock the torque converter. The viscous converter clutch (VCC) always creeps or slips a tiny bit to eliminate the driveline pertubations called chuggle...the rough feeling to the driveline when the torque converter locks up. Towing a trailer can cause excessive slippage in the VCC over long periods of time causing heat build up and damage to the torque converter and trans.

There are trailering packages available from GM for the Cadillacs that consist of heavier duty radiators and oil coolers for the engine. It would appear that the car in question was not equipped that way so the original purchaser must not have had trailter towing in their plans.

The 300 HP engine is to provide adequate vehicle performance...not to tow large loads on trailers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.