Cadillac Owners Forum banner

temp guage on dash fluctuating

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  drapedupDTS 
#1 ·
a few weeks ago i noticed my temp guage on a 2002 cadillac deville was fluctuating between reg.(4 out of 8 levels) all the way to 6-7 levels... i have no leaks, no smells of coolant, and ac works just fine. the issue is very spiratic and at a shop i was told it looks like the issue may be caused by a bad thermostat... had the car tested and was told it was the water pump by a mechanic but took to a gm dealer and he's pretty sure it's the thermostat and not the water pump because i have absolutely 0 leaks... is there any further tested that can be done by myself to ensure this is the thermostat and not a costly repair.

#2 ·
At this point, probably no further snooping by yourself will turn up a solution. If the GM dealer feels it's a thermostat and then does the replacement, you have someplace to go back to if the problem persists. If you have zero leaks and are not losing coolant (halfway up in the tank, cold) then I'll bet on the thermostat. A dealer $30 part and an hour of labor = $125. Add in another $125 for a spring coolant change and "checkup" and you're out the door.

You could go to a NAPA parts shop and get a coolant/exhaust gas test kit for $50, but it sounds as if 2 different shops have discounted the possibility of exhaust gas in the coolant. Statistically, you don't have a failing head gasket, so don't go paranoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.