Water Pump Pulley
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Water Pump Pulley in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi my 93 deville that has 66,000 miles recently began to sound extremely loud. I just took a look under ...
    jmcvey75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '93 DeVille

Water Pump Pulley

Hi my 93 deville that has 66,000 miles recently began to sound extremely loud. I just took a look under the hood and noticed that the noise is coming from the water pump pully. The pulley has developed a little wobble. Does this mean that the pump must be replaced? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to have some sort of clue before I take it in, Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Water Pump Pulley

Are you sure it is the water pump pulley and not the idler or tensioner? Whichever one it is definitely needs to be replaced.

Yeah I'm sure it's the water pump pulley. After searching this forum I was hoping it was the idler or tensioner. That seemed like an easy fix. However the noise is definitly coming from the water pump pully. You can actually see it wobbling.

Is it leaking?

No leaks, car seems to be cooling fine, it has the digital cluster so I can't tell if its running warm or not.

That's strange. If the shaft was wobbling, it would be leaking, so it must just be the pulley wobbling on the shaft. can't imagine what would cause that. I think the pulley is pressed on. I'd inspect it closely.

AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

The pulley is screwed on with three bolts that should be tightened to 30 N*m or 22 ft lb.s

Well it looks like I will have to go and finally buy a torque wrench. Hopefully that's all it is, and hopefully I will not have to take half the car apart to get to those nuts. Thanks for the help everyone.

No need to go out and buy a torque wrench. Those torque settings are not critical. Realize that every nut & bolt on the car has a torque value. Just crank 'em down and don't strip 'em.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I have replaced the pump without a torque wrench, just tightened as far as I could without stripping them. When mine died I noticed the noise and leaks before I noticed the wobble in the pulley. Have you taken the belt off and spun it by hand? When I did that it became painfully obvious that it was the pump, not the pulley that needed replacing. If the pulley spins quietly and freely without the belt I would just tighten it down, My bet though is that you will hear all sorts of noise and will need a new pump. I have a few recent post detailing how to change it, In retrospect it wasn't too hard a job. If needed I can dig them up for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.