interesting tapping noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, interesting tapping noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok so i know im posting alot these days but everyone s so helpful so here is my next question. ...
    wv94deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 deville, 1983 fleetwood

interesting tapping noise

ok so i know im posting alot these days but everyone s so helpful so here is my next question. i have a new noise sounds like a rod or rocker tapping? is there a good test to ensure, its def a tapping noise and in rythm im about 80 percent sure its a rod or rocker. how dangerous is this to my engine, also what can i expect to pay a mechanc to figure out which one it is and replace or fix it? its a 94 deville 4.9 non northstar engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

Re: interesting tapping noise

If it's a rod ur in deep kimchee! Engine could seize up forever if you drive it like that. but rods going out don't make little tapping noises. they make big clunking noises. soi I suspect it's a little rocker tap. At the risk of sounding redundant, are there any codes accompanying this tappety-tap?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

They actually make mechanics stethoscopes to help you locate sounds like this. I have used a few and they work wonders at locating sounds, especially bad bearings.

well there are no codes at all its just a very very faint tapping. im leaning towards rocker on the rights side of the engine. im thinking of buying a manual to repair it myself. ill prolly just change them all on the right side since ill have it open

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

try replacing the idler pulley first i had a tapping kike noise and i replaced mine and it went a way

replacing rockers is not usually a simple task requires serious expertise due to critical measurement and valve clearances. Would not recommend for casual wrench twisting.

even if i get gm parts for the rocker sand use a helm manual i have a butt load of tools and what pretty much everything you would ever need to build a car. however if it sounds like its way too much i guess its off to stutzman cadillac

NOT to discourage you. Hands-on experience is the best teacher for a lot of things but with all those critical little engine parts even I wouldn't do it unless I was POSITIVE that's where the problem is. There's a ton of young mechanics on this forum that are much smarter than I am that love doing engine work on their cars. So go for the gold, if you want to and your heart is in it. Just do the read /understand the FSM first and you'll be okay. That's how we learn to swim the best, Jump in!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Rocker arms don't tap. Pushrods don't tap. Hydraulic valve lifters (tappets) and worn camshafts cause taps. If the valve lash is incorrect, there's a mechanical reason.

Typically a valve tap is caused by looseness between the valve stem/rocker arm/push rod, but I think you'd have a lot more that one lonely failing hydraulic lifter causing that little tap. And anyway, I've rebuilt some totally ancient engines and never had to replace a rocker arm. They don't usually need to be replaced. Maybe one of the pulleys, like the idler pulley was suggested needs tightening. Like I said, I'd love to know EXACTLY what is making that noise before lifting (pardon the pun ) one single finger to fix it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.