Cadillac Sedan DeVille - 1987 (Brought to Dealer)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Cadillac Sedan DeVille - 1987 (Brought to Dealer) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, I am looking for some basic information on my car (listed in the Title). I bought this vehicle ...
    JJAntaya is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Exclamation Cadillac Sedan DeVille - 1987 (Brought to Dealer)

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some basic information on my car (listed in the Title). I bought this vehicle about a year ago for $2000.00 USD. The car is Maroon, with fake hardtop / fake-tire on back. The engine only has 75,000mi. on it, but I had to take it to a dealership recently. They told me that the timing was off 15 degrees, needed a new water pump, and the distrib. was placed in backwards? I bought the parts (they were going to charge me $800 for parts I got them for under $150.00 brand new). The car recently had a tune-up, new distrib. cap, some block sealer, has brand new white-walls, and brakes all around. We sealed everything up because we had found water in the oil, and thought it might have been the head gasket. Ever since then we haven't had that problem. I find out now that my car needs new rear struts and a new oil-pan gasket. Is this vehicle worth me putting the time and money into or should I sell? I really, really love this car, but is costing me, even with all the discounts I can get...

Please inform me on everything you know gurus!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Re: Cadillac Sedan DeVille - 1987 (Brought to Dealer)

It is all about what the vehicle is worth to you. If I were in your shoes I would put the money into it because '87-'88 DeVilles (one of my favorites) are becoming harder and harder to find. If you treat this car well it will easily get you to 150K and then some. The rear struts you should be able to get off JCWhitney for a decent price. They are air struts, however, so they will be more expensive than standard ones.

My '88 Fleetwood is very close to the definition of a money pit. The car is in mediocre condition body wise and has low mileage (68K) but I will have to invest about $1000-$1500 in work into it this summer to get it into decent mechanical condition. I am hanging onto it because it was my first car and it is very rare, but I love it to death.

Thanks for your input. Any idea's on how to fix material that's falling from the ceiling?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

We sealed everything up because we had found water in the oil, and thought it might have been the head gasket.
    It probably was and if you used block sealer to "repair" it, expect a BIG repair bill in the future.

AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

It's an oldy but a goody. They don't make them like that any more. always get a second opinion on repairs, there are more dishonest mechanics than not. Best of all, it's genuine Made in the USA!!! That's my $o.02 for the day

Looking for information on a new engine for my caddy. Want to know which 305 engine would fit it transmission with ease.. and Which parts off of my current HT4100 can be switched over. Found out the CamShaft went to s*** in the engine and dealer is saying they'd have to reove it to get the work done. If I can find an engine I can get someone to switch most of the stuff over for cheap, and have dealer replace... THis will prob' take a yr. for me to get the funds, but i want to save it, this is a beautiful vehicle, and I can't bare to lose it, but if me and my fiance are going to spend the money, we want a little more performance.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Nothing is going to be easy putting a 305 in it. 4.1L engines arent that reliable or long lasting. You can still find those years in really good condition but any other one you get might have the same problems yours has. If you want to keep it the cheapest way to deal with the engine is find a junk yard who will put a used one in it and give you a warranty and then deal with the struts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.