What is my car worth ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, What is my car worth ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; PS: I sat and stared at the pic of the front interior for about 10 minutes straight today..absolutely gorgeous white ...
    King Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Mercedes-Benz E420

Re: What is my car worth ?

PS: I sat and stared at the pic of the front interior for about 10 minutes straight today..absolutely gorgeous white which blends beautifully with the unique eggplant..I would love to see a bigger hi-res shot.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by King Steve View Post
    My thoughts are that the value must be higher than the blue book, because anyone who would be buying the car would certainly have the future in mind. It is a 17 year old car now, but if kept in the same condition at antique age and beyond, it will likely only appreciate in value. Thus it would have an element of investment involved. If I at age 24 were to buy a car like this, there would probably be the expectation of keeping it immaculate for 20 years or so and then seeing if I could get quite a high price for it (Think about it, a 35-40 year old car with <10k for mileage and mint, not to mention the last model year of a long-running model). Because the value would likely be much more in the future, I think there is this element that book value is not going to fully take into account. That said, in order to attain that value in the future one must take great care to keep it in the condition it's now in. So, this involves some effort; it's not just like throwing the money in a CD. Taking everything into consideration, I'd say it's certainly worth more than current book value..20K might be a little steep although not necessarily a bad investment for someone who will maintain it properly..I would personally price it a little under 15 K, and I absolutely love the perfect, beautiful white leather. Realistically it's gotta be at least over $10k, but the amount of dedication to the car a buyer plans to give to the car could make it worth a little more to such a buyer.

I disagree, I have a hard time believing this car, or any recent car is gonna eventually be a valuable classic. In my opinion, the true classic cars are here, and here to stay. I think those real classics are going to hinder the ability of anything else to squeeze into their same category.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I disagree, I have a hard time believing this car, or any recent car is gonna eventually be a valuable classic. In my opinion, the true classic cars are here, and here to stay. I think those real classics are going to hinder the ability of anything else to squeeze into their same category.
    You might be right, and I might be wrong; it is all speculation at this point. However, I think it's hard for us to really imagine what it will be like now, because 93 Devilles are everywhere. Once the "similar experience" of a 93 Deville in good shape becomes less accessible, it might become more desirable. It might not become the classic that a 59 eldo is, but desirability will be more than it is now, which means value will go up. Only time will tell. I certainly hope there's still room for new classics, as I want to be able to look back someday and see classic cars that I can remember growing up with as new.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by King Steve View Post
    You might be right, and I might be wrong; it is all speculation at this point. However, I think it's hard for us to really imagine what it will be like now, because 93 Devilles are everywhere. Once the "similar experience" of a 93 Deville in good shape becomes less accessible, it might become more desirable. It might not become the classic that a 59 eldo is, but desirability will be more than it is now, which means value will go up. Only time will tell. I certainly hope there's still room for new classics, as I want to be able to look back someday and see classic cars that I can remember growing up with as new.
    No doubt there is some truth to that, I can see wanting to relive my younger driving days when I get older.

But this is 2009. We aren't quite there yet. Right now, I think we can probably agree that desirability of a 1993 Deville (or Sixty) isn't high enough for it's value to skyrocket as previously mentioned. Newer cars can offer just as much or more than a '93 Deville, but niether can offer what a true classic (such as the mentioned '59 Eldo) can offer, and that's what makes the vehicle desirable.

Yes, I think we can generally agree on that much. I said "at least 10K" because I was building in the expectation a potential buyer would have for an increase in value. That mindset would be absolutely necessary for this car to go for that much, but at the same time I think anyone buying a 17 year old car in this condition/mileage would have a little more in mind than a comfortable commute to work. If a nice smooth ride is all one were looking for, then book value is probably right. But I think true value, aka what Sandy could get for the car if he put it on ebay today, would surpass 10k because someone would think future classic. I definitely agree with you that 09 is way too soon for the value to skyrocket to the level of a mint low miles true [current] classic, but I maintain more than book value as my final appraisal. I am biased in favor of mint cars I remember as a kid, and white leather, so I admit I might be letting my personal affinity for this car sway me...the question is, would a potential buyer do the same? Too bad we'll never know, since apparently the car won't be going up for sale!

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I'm going to say somewhere between 10-15k. Its still too easy to find nice factory ogrinal late 80's/early 90's Caddys because all the old people kept them nice and kept the miles down by not driving them. Sandy's car is on a whole nother level, but you can buy a really nice Fleetwood, Deville, or Brougham with under 100k miles for less than $5,000 now days, and not really have to look very hard to find one.

Sinister Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood

If I had Sandy's car I would drive it everywhere, effectively ruining it's value but enjoying it the whole time.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I remember when i was in high school and classic cars were 32 fords and 55 chevy etc. You could buy 64-70 Chevelles all the time for $500-1000. Nobody thought those cars would have been such valuable classics. We sure tore a lot of them up on the race tracks. If we would have only known, we could have stocked up on them. It just goes to show, you never can tell. I do think the younger generation isn't interested in preserving cars. Cut chop and customize seems to be the craze now. Sandy's car is one of a kind and should be in a museum someday. It's getting to the point that it is too pristine to enjoy driving it, as Sandy already mentioned. Value is very much subjective at this point. One guy sees a KBB value car and someone else sees a one of a kind car. If they turn out like Chevelles then one decade they are a dime a dozen and the next decade they are worth five times their original price.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

King Steve, you are in R.I. ~ I am in N.J. You could take a ride up here.
    Ever been on the Garden State Parkway in N.J. ?? I am Exit # 148.

I'll show you the car, and the other cars it shares a place with in a car museum, just 4 miles from my house.

Sandy, if at some point I can find the time or an excuse to go to New Jersey, I would love to see the car. How far are you from NYC? I go there every once in awhile so maybe one of those times...

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

30 minutes with no traffic, which would be around 3:30AM

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Those prices you guys are rattling of in the $15-20k range is only a dream unless you can actually find some crazy rich collector who finds the car to be desirable.
    I'm with you. I don't think anyone would really pay that for it but I was trying to be nice. In reality, maybe $7-$8k. You can buy a '04-'05 Caddy for that. Anyone here that says it's actually worth that would never actually lay the cash down for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.