water pump 94 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, water pump 94 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have to replace my water pump and timing cover on my 1994 Deville. I was wondering if anyone knows ...
    3 ANGELS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

water pump 94 Deville

I have to replace my water pump and timing cover on my 1994 Deville. I was wondering if anyone knows how much should I expect to pay for this to be done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: water pump 94 Deville

I would think around 400 - 500. I never replaced my timing cover, But I did the waterpump in my 93 myself for just under 100 in parts. I would imagine just the pump at a shop would be over 200 when you include markup and labor. Then whatever the timing cover costs

AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

Whew 4-500! I'd be inspired to DIY or should I say DIM for that price. Got more time than money. It seems pretty easy according the the FSM.

I don't know about the timing cover, but the water pump itself isn't to bad on the 4.9s. It took me the better part of 2 days to replace it, but It was more frustrating then difficult so you may have better luck.

I looked for the timing cover on Rockautos site and couldn't get a price on it.

If I may ask, why was it frustrating, behind-bars?

I am curious too since I may have to do this someday. I know the water pump mates to the timing / engine cover but why would that need to be replaced when doing the WP replacement? The FSM doesn't state to remove or replace it - just the WP gasket of course.

Just alot of little bolts to remove, If I had to do it again I could probably do it 2-3 times as fast. If you do have to do it start of by removing everything in the area that you can. I tried to take the lazy way out at first and didn't remove the battery or coolant overflow tank. When you get into it you will want all the room you can get so I had to stop to pull those out. Also one of the pulleys toward the firewall is just held on by a single bolt, I tried working around it and had a hard time getting a wrench on one of the back bolts of the pump so I had to take that pulley off eventually. Another thing that frustrated me was the WP pulley would not clear the frame so I had to leave it on and work around it. The clearance between the pulley and the wheel well was about 1/2 inch to small to remove the pulley. I spent a good while trying to slip it out without luck. This may not be a problem on the OP's 94 since it is a different body style, but it is one on my 93 and probably your 92. Removing the old gasket is a little time consuming as well, not real hard though.

After the trouble the pulley gave me I still forgot to slide it over the new pump when I reinstalled it. I had 2 or 3 bolts into the new pump before It dawned on me that I would be unable to get the pulley back on, so I had to pull the new pump and reset the gasket and start over. Also do not bolt the pulley to the pump impeller until you get the bolts behind the pulley screwed in, If you bolt the pulley those bolts will be virtually inaccessible. I would also recommend putting cardboard underneath the car to catch nuts and bolts that you WILL drop. Probably spent a combined total of 2 hours looking for ones that fell.

Some of the frustration came from the situation too. The pump started dying the Monday after I had a 3 day weekend. I hobbled it around for the week since I had to work, Luckily I live less then 2 miles from work so I didn't have to worry about overheating, but I had to add water everyday. Then Saturday after work it finally blew apart at the end of my street and threw the belt so I had to coast into the driveway and came up a bit short. I also locked my keys in the car on accident when I was done the first night so I had to look for my spare set lol.

I didn't touch the timing cover on mine, Don't think it's necessary unless it is messed up. All I did was clean it real well before I put the new pump on.

Wowzer! thanks for all the gory details. I am printing it out and clip to the page in my FSM. They always make it sound like a breeze to do it, like we are robots or something. Maybe a robot wrote the manual. I wouldn't be shocked.

I usually adjust my attitude before starting any repairs., like this or this so the car knows who the boss is, but still plan on things not going smoothly 100%, with the inevitable screw, bolt, wrench oops. My 1st day at foreign car mechanic school, the instructor passed out a carburetor to each student and told us to dissassemble it and reassemble it without mentioning all the little hidden check balls and springs that fly out and shoot across the room so I always have a CLEAN surface under me like you suggested.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

On my 94 it took maybe 2 hours to change it including digging around to find the tools I needed for it. If you add in the time it took to find those stupid torx bit socket things it needs and then going to a store to buy them it took a bit longer.

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

its not that bad of a job i did the w/p and the timing cover on mine it was kinda easy but the timing cover is a dealer only item so is the w/p inlet witch is what i had to replace . job done and no more leaks

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    On my 94 it took maybe 2 hours to change it including digging around to find the tools I needed for it. If you add in the time it took to find those stupid torx bit socket things it needs and then going to a store to buy them it took a bit longer.
    the torxs are pita for sure! Some perverse moron with mental illness thought it would be a cool way to SCREW everybody, I guess. I hate them. Makes my tool kit too bulky carrying around a set just for the Caddy.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'll take Torx over Philips any day. THAT's the guy who should be strung up by his thumbs.

Torxes drool, Allans rule! Phillips loses, either way. LOL!

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

If it's the 4.9L engine I did mine on last Thursday and finished Saturday night. With new timing chain, timing cover, water pump, lower radiator hose, and thermostat. Did it all myself.

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

Also as a FYI if you never replaced the timing chain, I'd advise you to do so. If not they over stretch with time and later throws off the timing. And some times they will cause your car to have a hard start or may not start at all. Besides I'm sure you don't want to do the job twice. Just my 2cents

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.