1987 Coupe deVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1987 Coupe deVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ~*~This is not an ad, don't close the thread and refer me to the classifieds, I'm a mod I know ...
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K10

1987 Coupe deVille

~*~This is not an ad, don't close the thread and refer me to the classifieds, I'm a mod I know about them~*~

So a woman came into where I work today, about late 50's looking in age and come in looking for a For Sale sign (I work at AutoZone as a parts driver) for her car, turns out it's an 87 Coupe deVille which she wanted to show me since I told her I'm a fan so I go look at it after she buys her sign and......

White leather interior and the odometer read......

"39,483"

Yeah, almost 40,000 original miles and it's from Florida which has all glovebox stuff including manual and business card from a Florida dealership. Here's the backstory....

The car was purchased new in '87 buy her aunt who when she died willed it to her. Her brother loved the car so she gave it to him. He died just recently after owning the car a few years and it was willed back to her so now she's driving it around with the hopes of selling it to someone who will really appreciate the car like her aunt and brother did. She was pushing me to buy it and I would if I had the cash to spend on another car. It's a great car with a low mileage HT4100 but it has one problem at this moment, the "COOLANT TEMP FAN" light illuminates after the car runs for a few seconds and stays lit. She tells me it goes out after 40 MPH so I figured the cooling fan isn't working, fan switch......

Any ideas? I told her I would look into it for her since the car is so freakin' nice, maybe even volunteer to change it for her if I got the free time and it's not hard to do.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Re: 1987 Coupe deVille

Wow, that is a beauty. Personally though I think it is supposed to be 139K miles. Those seats are WAY to worn for that low of mileage and by the wear on the arm rest that car has been used a lot. If I remember right, the odometers in these cars go back to 0 at 100K miles. I know the RWD cars did but I am not 100% sure on the FWD ones.

It also has the same problem with the rear bumper trim that my Fleetwood has. It is caused by expose to the elements. That car has seen a harsh life as mine is 10 times better looking than that and it sat outside under a pine tree for almost 2 years before I picked it up.

Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 CdV Spring Edition;92 Brougham d'E 305;98 Seville STS

That's really a fine looking Coupe deVille. The Florida sun hasn't done it many favors with the weatherchecked bumper; however, that would be akin to turning down a date with a cover model if she had one small zit on her face. Cannot beat the white leather interiors.

I wonder: Does she think it's a priceless treasure with an unrealistic price, or did it seem to be in line with reason? (Not that I can buy it-just curious.)

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08)1981 F100 '03FXDL

Same interior as my '87 Coupe, although the leather is a bit more problematic in her car. My car too is from Fla and has the same loving-owner history.
    The odometer has 6 digits and no 1/10th mile digit. That is in the trip-odometer. If it reads 040000, it's 40,000 miles.

***************************************** the "COOLANT
    TEMP FAN" light illuminates after the car runs for a few seconds and stays lit. She tells me it goes out after 40 MPH so I figured the cooling fan isn't working, fan switch"
    My car has the exact same fault. I've tried tracking that down for years and I've not cured it. I think it may be a BCM problem, but it's meaningless to me anymore. I've replaced the Fan Control module(2x), cleaned every ground there is, replaced some sensors/fans/etc......continues to act the same. When I replaced the engine recently, I installed a coolant temp gauge so I can monitor the operation fan operation. As I understand: the fans should not activate on a cold-start. Mine have always activated on any start and I suspect that car acts the same. That is the fault and that fault is not a concern. The only thing I have not done is change the BCM....it ain't broke, so I ain't gonna 'fix' it.

That car would probably be great deal whether the miles are 40k or 140k assuming the maintenance was done by her brother. It does need TLC.

Well the thing is there is no price yet, one of the things she wanted me to do was help appraise it, I told her like $2,500. And the odometer reads "039,483." So I guess this fan problem is more complex then I thought it would be?

The is no problem. There is a 'gremlin' in the system. Mine has acted the exact same way from the previous owner to the present.

Hmmm.... Well ok then so no worry about driving the car? If it were my car I'd just pull the bulb out and install a temp gage to monitor the coolant temperature. Now I guess I should buy it.....

Haha wish.....

Where is the car located?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S Texas View Post
    Where is the car located?
    Mt. Arlington, NJ.....

Being the inquisitive young man I am, I looked on the NJ Craigslist just to see. There is a duplicate '87 with less than 30k selling for $6400 at a dealership. The interior color is looks to be blue, otherwise it is the same vehicle with a similar pedigree..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.