Blower Motor Runs Even with KEY Removed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Blower Motor Runs Even with KEY Removed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone else had this problem,its in a 1992 DeVille.The only 2 ways I've found to stop it is to ...
    OliviaSeptember is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Blower Motor Runs Even with KEY Removed

Has anyone else had this problem,its in a 1992 DeVille.The only 2 ways I've found to stop it is to pull the wire to the blower out OR pull the large 30 AMP fuse under the hood marked AC. I was thinking it was a Relay somewhere, but so far I've only found the wrong ones or I'm going in the wrong direction.Possibly a sensor?
    Choices so far are leave it running while working or keep pulling the fuse.Olivia

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Blower Motor Runs Even with KEY Removed

Sounds like it might be the blower motor control module. I have a 1990 and it did the same thing. It was pretty easy to swap out and I got lucky cuz I found a guy on ebay that was parting out a deville and I paid like 25 bucks. I just swapped it out and it fixed it. Not sure on how to test one though, because that part new is over a 100 bucks if you can track one down.

I was seriously hoping it was some other item.....'cuz I have no idea how to test and just swapping parts til something works can get a tad expensive..However if this is it than ...Thank You. Olivia

Wretched is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like MusicCity is right, I did a search and came up with this...

http://www.4s.com/trumark/tech_tips/...ish/ab307.html

the link refers to 86-87 Caddys so I don't know how accurate it would be in your case....

Adam

BadBrad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just replaced my blower module yesterday in my 91 deville. Pretty easy. It's in a tight spot under the fuse box in the back center under the hood. Literally two bolts and three screws. Climate control works perfect now. Well worth the price of the part. If you don't want to mess with it, you can try hooking and unhooking the battery several times, sometimes this will shut the blower off. M module was bad for about a year and the blower only stayed on a few times. However, your air and heat will work in strange ways.

Dennis Bernth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Another vote for the blower control module, mine died today and did the same thing- fan would run only on high, whether it had the key on or not. New module ($158+ tax at the local Caddy dealer) and it's working fine again. I did some price checking too, and it turned out the local guy was cheaper than the 'mega store' on the part, and had it in stock- said 'it's summer time, I always keep at least one of those on hand'.

Thank you everyone for your help. This looks easier than I thought, on the other hand a little pricier than I thought. With Texas heat this is not an option ,will have to work on it Monday . Thank you all again. Olivia

MusicCity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I found an AC Delco module on www.rockauto.com for $84 and some change. I ordered a Hall Effect Switch from those guys a few months back and they came through beautifully. The part was identical to the one I pulled out of the distributor and for quite a bit less than it would have cost me locally. Granted I've only had one experience from them so I can only vouch for that. The Ac Delco website is really good for getting the right part number and cross-referencing to see all the other caddies that have that same part in it. If your strapped for cash you might be able to track one down in a salvage yard.

I've used Rockauto before also and had good results with them. And, they're pretty fast on shipping. Olivia, if you need the Delco part number, I still have the box my module cam in- I'd be happy to go dig it out and give it to you, or post it here for anybody else that wants to shortcut the dealer prices.

I will try them....Local here would be 30 miles away ,it doesn't hurt to look on line and it might be well worth it .Thank you all again. Olivia

I dug out the box, the module mine took is the Delco 15-72530, which Rockauto lists for $109.79. Even with shipping it shouldn't be a bad deal, but you need to check Rockauto's online catalog to make sure- if lists a module for 'Delayed blo control' for $361! OUCH! Evidently the one I have is the one that most of them use however, the parts guy didn't know anything other than 92 SDV and that was what he brought me, no questions about type of climate control system or anything.

dhr
    dhr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where is your Blower Module located? My 92 DeVille developed the same problem a week ago. I have 5 black square-shaped modules located under the two banks of maxi-fuses on the firewall. These modules have three different numbers on the first first row (D-1239, D-1241, and D-1255), with all the other numbers the same. Which one do I need to replace and what is its exact location?

DHR Those are your relay switches .Remove your negative cable FIRST or better yet remove both.Take your fuse block out (3 screws) Its under there I'm fairly sure on TOP of the blower.. New part hasn't arrived yet ,just trusted Dennis and ordered that part #.Wire colours are correct.Maybe one of the guys will chime in and prove me wrong . However as soon as part comes in from Rockauto I'll be sure. PS it seemed too easy...Olivia

Here's hoping yours is the same as mine, Olivia! dhr, the blower control module is under the maxifuse block, I believe it's mounted on top of the blower housing. All you can see is a flat top and two plugs; mine had two screws holding it, altho I think it's supposed to have three (lazy replacement once already?). When you unplug the two plugs and take out the screws, the module lifts up out of the housing and you can see the main part of it, which is a big heat sink and some electronics. I was able to sneak mine out without pulling the maxifuse panel all the way out, I yanked the nut on the far passenger side of the fuse block and was able to rotate it up enough to get access and pull the module out. I also tied the fuel lines out of the way temporarily with a tie-wrap to make it a little easier. All in all a lot easier than I expected it to be.

dhr
    dhr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: Blower Motor Runs Even with KEY Removed

Thank you Olivia September and Dennis Bernth for answering my question as to where is the blower module. You were both correct, and I appreciate the tips. After I removed the two nuts and one screw, I was able to move two banks of Maxifuses and relays out of the way so I could see the top of the blower module and was able to get it out.

I also want to thank Wretched's for the post on 7-9-4. The link to 4s.com appears to apply to our 1992 De Villes also. The wire colors are the same and the very important tip "Check the Blower Motor amperage to see if it is excessive (20 amps Max.) The blower motor can cause a power spike that can short out the Power Module."

Before I removed the blower module, I connected my blower motor directly to the battery with an inline fuse in my test cables and found 20 amp was ok but it blew the 15 amp fuse. I did not want to put my good Digital MultiMeter in series with the blower to measure amps. With this temporary cable I could run the blower on high speed only, but I could test all the other functions of the AC and heater with the engine on, and all worked normally.

Olivia, I sure you know that there are another bank of relays and fuses located inside and under the glove box. There is a 10 AC blower fuse and Defogger relay in addition to other fuses and relays. See 1992 De Ville Oweners Manual pages 332-335. I first checked the main fuses under the dash and to the left of the steering wheel, then the bank on the right. None of the fan or AC marked fuses or relays I removed shut off the blower. Only the 30 amp Maxifuse shut off the blower. Olivia, you are correct that there are relays just under the Maxifuses, but mine are not ID nor shown in My Owner's Manual. I am looking for a reasonably priced 1992 Cadiallac De Ville Service Manual. HelmsInc.com has new copies in stock for $105 + SH and there are none currently on Ebay.

I plan to get a used module from a salvage/recyle yard, since it is not that hard to remove and replace, if a used one does not hold up long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.