Funky warning buzzer and a couple newbie Q's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Funky warning buzzer and a couple newbie Q's in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just got a 92 Deville, 4.9, normal equipment. It's pretty much a creampuff car, got it from the wife's aunt ...
    Dennis Bernth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Funky warning buzzer and a couple newbie Q's

Just got a 92 Deville, 4.9, normal equipment. It's pretty much a creampuff car, got it from the wife's aunt and it's been good to her. She mentioned that a couple days ago she heard a 'whistling' noise in it, but it quit and hadn't done it since. My wife drove it home last night, and said she had a whistling/buzzing that was driving her nuts. She was able to shut it off (temporarily anyhow, till she hit a bump) by putting the gearshift selector in 'Park', then putting it back in gear and driving off. Today I messed with it a little before the rain hit, and I was able to get it to sound off. I'm pretty sure it's some type of warning buzzer that's gone haywire; you can start the car, put the transmission selector in Reverse or Drive, and about half the time the buzzer will sound off. I was able to shut the car off, still in gear, and the buzzer kept going off for a while, but not long enough for me to be able to locate where the heck it is so I could unplug it Like a lot of sounds, it seems to be coming from the whole dash, so I can't really home in on where the thing is located. Anybody have any experience with this buzzer, whatever it is, that can give me an idea of where it's located so I don't have to rip the whole dash apart to find it?
    Also, I plan to service the car completely, including oil, trans fluid, and coolant changes. I have read on here about the 'tablets' or Bars Leaks. Are the Bar's Leaks tabs the correct ones for these engines, and if so, does it take two packages of the tablets for a cooling system flush and fill? Or is it better to use the copper tube of Bar's Leaks? TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Funky warning buzzer and a couple newbie Q's

Solved the problem today. It wasn't a warning buzzer after all- it was a vacuum whistle. The vacuum pull-off solenoid for the parking brake had either a rust hole in it or a leaky diaphragm that let it whistle when the car was in gear and vacuum was applied to the solenoid. The correct fix is a new solenoid, my fix was a sheet metal screw in the vacuum line for now. Maybe this can help somebody else down the road.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

"Bars Leak Gold" is the same as the GM sealant tabs but is is crushed in plastic tubes. Use 2 tubes or 4-6 tabs. Be careful though. There are several different types of Bars Leak. Use the tabs or the "gold" (crushed tabs in a tube) not the aluminum or copper stuff.
    http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?3692
    http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?3693
    Bars Leak Gold is G12BP in the following link
    http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

OK, I've also found Bars Leaks tablets, which are also gold. Same thing, or just stick with the tubes? Doesn't really matter to me, I have the Bars Leaks tablets but it's not like two tubes of the gold is going to break the bank. Thanks, and nice BB- I've learned a lot just paging through here, trying to pick up a service manual on Ebay for cheap now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.