Bought a '90 with 21k miles... really - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Bought a '90 with 21k miles... really in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have to get to the lock mechanism, and I'm running out of day! Removed 2 screws behind lights and ...
    Notaguru is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 DeVille

Re: Bought a '90 with 21k miles... really

I have to get to the lock mechanism, and I'm running out of day!

Removed 2 screws behind lights and 2 more behind the pull-handle, then freed-up all the peripheral fasteners. The panel is still "stuck" near its center.

I hought there might be another screw behind the armrest control panel (seat, window). It seems to be metal, so I applied a great deal of force to pop it free. No luck, and I don't want to break it. Is there a screw in there? Is there some hidden way to remove that panel. If there's no screw down there, what else did I miss?

Thanks!

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

sent you a PM, yes, 2 more under the window/seat control

and the arm rest does NOT pop free...it can only be removed once the panel is off.

well, it could be removed with the panel on, but the reattachment procedure would call for things like duct tape, styrophome, and colored magic marker to match the interior.

The Caddy people really don't want people like me in there...

The seat/window control panel is popped free with a screwdriver under the FRONT edge to release a clip, then the cables are pulled loose (not trivial). There are two large screws and one small screw holding the panel under the armrest. Once it's free, the panel can be set aside.

However, as mentioned to Timothy a while ago, I then discovered that the long actuating rod from the inside handle assembly is supposed to be attached to the door lock mechanism by an orange plastic clip, but in my case the rod and clip are detached. Worse, there's no apparent way to get a combination of hands and eyesight into that space to permit re-attaching. I'll work on it. Perhaps by drilling out some of the aluminum rivets and removing a plate or two I can gain better access...

one word....sawzall
    sorry, couldn't resist

Realized I had a fiber-optic device - it let me see what's going on without interfering. On the assumption that the rod popped out of the clip for a reason, I bent it from 80deg to 90deg on the theory that anything different is likely to be better. I did a ONE HAND INSTALL of the end of the push rod into the plastic clip, then swung the tab around and locked it. Now, the system is half-correct. The door buttons lock and unlock properly.

However, the remote works only on the driver side door - none of the others. That'll wait till next weekend!

THANKS TIMOTHY

give me a call when you have a sec...i had another thought on the remote entry
    as far as the one hand install, I am impressed, usually i tear the heck out of my hand, then proceed to take it out on the car

The passenger door lock now works perfectly, and I didn't lose any blood over it...

The remote works fine on the driver door - only. It's after-market, so should be easy to sort out.

The car passed smog today with no problem. It also went on the rack at my mechanic's, who found nothing.

Tomorrow I'll go searching for R134a - the A/C is not cool enough so perhaps after 19 years it's a bit low.

cjmeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Sounds like a great find!Check your rear wheel cylinders.Mine leaked when I got it a few years ago w/34000 miles on it.

Checked the entire brake system yesterday, turned the front disks and installed new pads, and flushed the system. No sign of leakage anywhere.

The front struts are soft so the car sometimes wallows. I might replace them next week.

The car was detailed today and came out fine. Over the weekend I'll post some photos. The car looks pretty much like a new one, and from a few feet away it's very close.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Fuel filter, fan belts, heater hoses, radiator hoses. Take a look at vacuum hoses, but tough only one of those at a time. Ebay for a shop manual--don't pay more than $30 + $10 shipping. Same manual for multiple years as long as body style is same. Small differences will not bother you.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Some Caddy dealers have old shop manuals sitting around. They might give or sell one to you. Ask service mgr or a few of the mechanics.

beldingsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Notaguru and others,

I have a '96 Deville with a "lazy passenger door lock actuator". I was reading this post and I am not sure how you fixed this on your vehicle. I had the door panel off last Friday, and was able to see the rods connected to the manual lift lever by the interior door panel. The other end of the rod goes to the door lock solenoid (actuator) inside the door (I think). However, even after peeling back the plastic sheathing I don't see how I can access the solenoid?? It is behind an unpainted piece of metal that is bolted to the interior of the door panel in many locations. Does this need to be removed somehow as well, is there access to the actuator from a different angle?? I'm really curious how you were able to fix your lock on this door, because the problem sounds very much like the one I am having.

Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

-ZB

Quote Originally Posted by beldingsfinest View Post
    Notaguru and others,

I have a '96 Deville with a "lazy passenger door lock actuator".

-ZB

I fixed the problem of the remote operating only the driver's door by installing a new keyless entry + alarm system. It worked fine, but the two rear doors remained pretty lethargic.

I opened just the panel behind the handle, and peeled away the plastic water barrier. I then blew out everything, and applied spray lube to every accessible moving part. I operated the system a few times, and it got better fast. Works fine now on all four doors.

AFTERTHOUGHT: it's possible that your actuator is seeing less than optimal voltage. Trace the circuit and exercise the connectors to get past any corrosion that might be creating circuit resistance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.