AC Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, AC Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently had to replace the compressor on the AC it was not kicking on. We were going to replace ...
    Subguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

AC Problems

I recently had to replace the compressor on the AC it was not kicking on. We were going to replace the dryer and noticed that the fittings we stuck tight........that includes all of the fittings on the liquid line. Couldn't get any unstuck, even the fitting around the inline filter. Not wanting to replace the lines, by breaking them with torque, we opt to replace the compressor. It blew cold for 15 minutes and then quit as if there was a leak in freon. Hooked the gauges up and found a tremendous amount of pressure. We realized there was a definite clog in the line. So the system was flushed and and it was dirty and there was a blockage. Recharged system, pressure good, freon good, compressor cycling............after about 20 minutes noticed it getting warmer. The freon had leaked out. I forgot to mention a light was used to check the system, and no leaks had been found. Wondering if after the first issue with the pressure and the the new compressor was on, if the seal between the clutch and compressor could have burned and that is where it is leaking now? Sorry it is a 1991 Deville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: AC Problems

Your leak could be anywhere but the goods news is a leak that big is super easy to find. You can do a dye test or better yet have an a/c shop tell you where it is leaking (they will often do this for free to give you an estimate of repair).

Sounds like you need to flush the system, replace the dryer and the orifice tube to resolve all the problems. You don't want any crud to make it in to that new compressor and kill it. If you have to break a couple pipes you will find replacement readily available in most pick and pull yards.

Steve B.

Subguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the reply.........before the new compressor was replaced......we used a light to find the leak...no leaks.....all of the fittings on the liquid line and the fitting at the dryer are locked tight, all line fittings are locked.........wrench and pipe for leverage and couldn't break it free. We replaced the compressor and started to recharge and noticed the pressure was way high. While recharging and watching the pressure you could smell the burn. The compressor would cycle but with the high pressure we shut the engine down. We were hoping the smell wasn't the seal between the clutch and the compressor. We knew the system was clogged. We flushed the system and it let loose once the clog was freed. We then recharged the system and the pressure was great , but after 15 minutes ,adios freon. There is no way to get the dryer off, and if the lines break they are a dealer part, the liquid line alone is $169.00. I went to the salvage yeard to plan ahead, and believe it or not all of the 5 cars had fittings locked on the salvage cars also. The system is clean after the thorough cleaning, I have talked the ac guy to replace the compressor even though no dryer was replaced..nice guy.

If it is not the compressor I am clueless..........with no other visible leaks...and good pressure

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you didn't replace the dryer and orifice tube you didn't get the system clean. It just can't be done. Are you dealing with a rebuilt compressor or a factory new unit? At this point I would also expect the shaft seal on the compressor but without retesting there is no way to know.

Also be forewarned that not replacing the orifice and accumulator voided the warranty on the new compressor. If you try for an exchange be preapred for that question.

Steve B.

klt
    klt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Might want to check more salvage yards for the lines. I worked on my '89 recently and several cars at the U-PULL-IT had the lines. The first one I tried still had the freon and oil so I removed the lines from a second car. I was charged $10 for the line where the oriface tube is located.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.