Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  carguy16 
#1 ·
I am looking for my first car, and I am looking at a nice 1995 Cadillac Deville Sedan, with the 4.9 ltr V8. The car has about 93,000 miles on it, and is located in Florida.

I wanted to know if you could tell me more about this, what is good, or what is bad about it. The car looks really nice, the leather looks nice, the body is great. The price is excellent as well.

I have heard that there were problems with the suspension system, and that is the only thing I am aware of.

I would love to hear any input about the 1995 Cadillac Deville, or up to the 1999 Cadillac Deville, they are all basically the same, except that this Cadillac is a 1995 model with the 4.9 ltr V8, it does not have the Northstar engine. Thank you.

Any information will be help ful.

-Byron

#2 ·
For a first car I would have to say definently look for a 4.9l. Compared to the northstar they will be more reliable and for a first car they create plently of speed. I have a 92' in the older body style and you would be surprised how often I loose traction because of all the torque. Florida has the best selection of low mileage cadillacs. I paid $4000 for a 92' with 52,000 miles. And this is my first car too.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, your right on the money, plenty of used Caddies in Florida. There are quite a few elderly that trade them in. I have heard that the 4.9 ltr is better on fuel economy, unlike the Northstar. Also, probably better on insurance?

In regards to traction, my mom owns a 2000 Taurus, it has a 3.0 ltr V6 24V DOHC, it has 200 HP and 200 torque, 0-60 in 8 seconds, there are times where I have to shut the traction control off, because when you accelerate from a dead stop pulling out into traffic, it will cut the gas pedal off and wont let you accelerate, I almost got into an accident because of it once before I realized what the problem was. I was about to pull into traffic, I stepped on the gas, the car started rolling forward and it took two seconds for the car to accelerate, I was lucky I wasnt rear ended. After that, I realized it was the traction control, and I shut it off, it will cause an accident in certain circumstances. When I step on the gas, the car moves! :bouncy:

I have learned my lesson already on torque steer, I could have caused an accident because of it.

Moving back to the Deville, yeh its a nice car. As soon as I get a job, I will buy one. I plan on keeping everything origional, I might change the tires to Michelin Hydroedge's. I will probably have the brakes flushed, tranny flushed, and the radiator flushed, possibly the power steering. Does the 4.9 ltr have a timing belt?

Thanks,

-Byron

#4 ·
Suspension is the only real "gotcha" and now several places are making an aftermarket system to replace the original expensive electronic units. Factory cost about $800 each but you can get all four installed for less than that on the aftermarket stuff.

Getting those fluids changed would be a good idea and make sure they put the cooling system pellets in when the antifreeze is changed. Other than that I am not aware of any weak spots with the car.

Steve B.

#5 ·
Actually the Northstar gets better milage than the 4.9. Not knocking the 4.9, I had a '92 and got 125K trouble free miles out of it before I traded it.
Be advised, on the Northstar (not sure about the 4.9) when you disable the traction control the PCM defaults to second gear starts. Don't find this out the hard way.
When you start changing fluids DO NOT let anyone talk you into a trans fluid flush. Just change fluid and filter. There are many horror stories about guys doing flushes and having the trans fail shortly there after.
The suspension problems can be expensive if is has the electronic struts (optional on Deville I think), but as previously mentioned you can replace them with passive struts.
The 4.9 was designed for premium fuel. So was the Northstar til 2000 but the Northstar has a knock sensor so it can be run on regular with no problems. The 4.9 does not and will not tolerate regular. You might get away with 89 octane.
The Northstar has timing chaines that will last the life of the engine. Sorry I can't recall about the 4.9.

#7 ·
Are you saying it is $800.00 dollars for all 4 shocks replaced? Yikes, that is a but pricey.

Excuse my ignorance here, but when you say put 'pellets' in the cooling system, what exactly are these? Thanks for the heads up on the transmission, my think was, as the long as the fluid is new, it will be fine.

I dont mind paying extra for premium fuel, its only .10 - .20 cents a gallon difference, I dont know why people complain, just imagine the gas prices rising .20 cents.

About the traction control, that is suprising! Either way, it helps control the traction. It would be hard to skid in second gear, even harder to skid with the traction control on. On the car I drive with traction control, when the car skids a light on the dash board will come on when it engages, and quickly goes off. So, probably better to leave it on, and learn how to take off slowly.

I read that all 1996 Deville's recieved the Northstar engine, but the 4.9 ltr ltr will do just fine. Im not doing any racing, but it is nice having all that power to pass, get into traffic, and beat the car next you getting on the interstate or merging into traffic.

Thanks for the info,

-Byron

#8 ·
"Are you saying it is $800.00 dollars for all 4 shocks replaced? Yikes, that is a but pricey." :)

No, if it has the RSS (road sensing suspension) as in electronic struts, that's $800 per strut. Now THAT'S pricey.
The "pellets" that imprl59 was talking about are available from the dealer. They are GM sealant tabs and are meant to seal casting imperfections and or small gasket leaks. You can also use "Bars Leak Gold" (2 tubes). This is the same thing. It is available at Walmart and most places like that. It is very important to keep the cooling system maintained or you'll be replacing head gaskets. '95 green coolant, every 2 years. '96 on, orange Dexcool every 5 years . Yes, Deville got the Northstar in '96 I think but the 4.9 is no slouch. You won't be dissapointed in it.

#9 ·
I love my 94. Plenty of power with the 4.9. I think the car handles great.

It corners better than the 2002 Monte Carlo that I just sold. Struts do cost a ton (when mine go, I'll call Boston Suspension for replacements). Most other repairs seem to be about average.

These are great cars. I like the styling better than the 97-99's. I think they are more interesting.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info on the shocks, $800.00 bucks a shock? :suspense: Wow, that is pricey. Perhaps if I shopped around I could find some cheap? But, basically the front shocks are probably the only ones that need replacing, front wheels take most of the beating anyways. But, If I plan on owning the car for a while it is not a bad investment.

Handling for me is not that big of an issue, but its good to have the best features you can get on a car. The only time I really need good handling is taking the curve getting on the interstate when I am first in line, taking a left turn at 20-30 mph in heavy traffic, thats just about it.

Can anyone tell me about the standard radio/cassette available on the 4.9 ltr sedan? This would be the stock radio. I plan on keeping everything in the car origional, including the rims. The only thing I would is flush the brake lines, transmission, and power steering. The hoses/belts should be ok, they would have to had been at least replaced once or twice during the life of the car.

Now, someone mentioned the timing belt usually lasts the life of the car. How ever, things happen, id rather have peace of mind knowing its a new timing belt then having one in there thats 10 years old with 93,000 miles on it, this is also another reason why I want to flush the fluids, I want to know that I have new fluids in there, instead of guessing, "How old is that fluid?"

Also, I like the styling on the 1995's as well. In 97, they redesigned the head lights(it looks like) and the molding over the rear wheels. Thanks for the info on the 4.9 ltr, as long as it has decent power it will be fine.

How are these on braking? I read from one single person that they take awhile to stop, but from another person they stop on a dime. I know they have 4 wheel disc ABS, and I believe starting on the 1995's the shocks or something assit with front line stopping???

-Byron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.