Finally~
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Finally~ in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Wow, first of all, Thank You all for the advice I've siphoned from this forum for 2 years without being ...
    97Purlwhyte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville N*, 2005 CTS V6

Finally~

Wow, first of all, Thank You all for the advice I've siphoned from this forum for 2 years without being a member.

Now that I'm official here's my problem.

My 97 deville is awesome, God bless the little old man who never smoked in it and had all the service done at the dealer when he had it.
    I've had it almost 5 years (May04) and really only had one major issue (tensioner pulley)
    Now it seems to want to act up on me... It wouldnt start everytime for a couple weeks. Me not being what you would call a 'car" guy took it to the shop. Shop says its the starter. In order to save, I buy a starter on EBay, (Mine was 69.00, dealer wanted $400) seller was 99.8 positive for starters, solenoids, ATV,Car, Truck, Boat whatever so I trust the part.
    Pay shop 3 bills to install starter, it works great for 2 days then bam, leaves me at KFC during lunchbreak. I come back after lunch, it starts. I drive home, come out the next morning for work, it starts fine. I make a short trip while at work, come out.. won't start. And there it sits.. I had to leave it.
    Could it be that I've fallen victim to the old "crappy starter" trick?! It looked brand new.
    Or have I fallen for the old "mechanic full of bs" trick. where my car has a problem, I pay to get problem fixed, problem returns like we fixed the wrong thing.

I'm broke, the starter people have agreed to send me another starter but it wont go in for free. Should I trust the mechanic to install another one? Or should I find a new mechanic?

Is there some problem known to Devilles that looks, acts, like a starter but can be fixed by average joe with a screwdriver?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Finally~

It sure sounds like a poor battery connection to me, unless it's security related.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the starter or that it was the problem in the first place if it is cranking (I assume it is and was?). If that is the case, might want to check the fuel pressure, especially when it won't start.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

I'd check the positive and negative battery cables. Sounds like a bad connection, or cable as its only happening when the car is warm.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It sure sounds like a poor battery connection to me, unless it's security related.
    The mechanic told me he cleaned both posts and the voltage across them went up dramatically. The battery is a die Hard gold and it's less than one year old. even after he cleaned the posts, the intermittent starting continues. When it wont start, I just get a "click" when I turn the key. All chimes, dash lights, radio, headlights work when it wont start.

The car left me at work on Tuesday, of course after it sat all night and all day Wednesday, it started up just fine. I drove it home, parked and it started this morning.

CaptainFishpond is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 99 DeVille (Grace Slick)

Id hook it up to a battery box, or try to jump if. If it starts up with no problems look at getting a new battery.

I'll look into that.

Thanks everyone!

This board is AWESOME!!

When it wont start, I just get a "click" when I turn the key.
    In that case, forget the fuel pressure. If there was corrosion on the posts, then check the cables. It may have worked it's way under the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    In that case, forget the fuel pressure. If there was corrosion on the posts, then check the cables. It may have worked it's way under the insulation.

I've heard coca cola dissolves that, is that the only way to clean it?

CaptainFishpond is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 99 DeVille (Grace Slick)

You can wire brush them clean, then throw some bulb grease on them.

Baking soda and water does great job and leaves no sticky mess.

Thanks guys... I'll try the baking soda/water mix. It started up again today, seems as long as it can cool off for a couple hours it's fine. If I park, run in and come back in say 20 minutes... it won't start back up.

I'm going under the hood this weekend.

Chuwee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 1990

Are you willing to remove the starter by yourself? It is not hard and if you do you can take it to Autozone and have them test it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuwee View Post
    Are you willing to remove the starter by yourself? It is not hard and if you do you can take it to Autozone and have them test it for you.
    Really?! The mechanic told me it was difficult. Something like "removing the whole intake" and blah blah blah. Although, it only took them start to finish about 2 hours. That's tow, drop, fix, test, and call me...

The starter IS under the intake, but it is not hard to get at. If it only clicks when it is warm and starts fine when cold, I would replace the solenoid while you have the intake off. I've had that happen once where the solenoid would get hot and contacts would expand and loss contact. Once it cooled down, the contacts contracted, made contact again and it would start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.