Finally~ - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Finally~ in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger You where looking at the oil life remaining, not the oil level. Neither has anything remotely ...
    AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

Re: Finally~

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You where looking at the oil life remaining, not the oil level. Neither has anything remotely related to the cars ability to start.

Amen, when I made that comment I had no idea of what your experience was. It wasn't meant as an insult. Hope you didn't take it that way. Knowing it now, I am very surprised that you even came to that conclusion. A God thing or a coincidence is much more plausible, as far fetched as it is. Believe me, there is absolutely no way that oil level or oil life can cause a no start, unless the oil is completely empty and the engine has seized. Having said that, I have started an engine that seized from no oil after refilling the crankcase. It did not sound very good mind you, but it did start.
    Maybe there was a UFO in the area at the time. I have no other expanation that's better, but the gasoline Hydrolock idea seems more rational. God bless you, Ranger!

Chuwee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 1990

I know cars now a days are made more difficult to work on and they are getting hard when they get more compact but you are talking about a 97 model and I really do not think it is that hard to remove. In my life time I have never seen a starter that could not be removed , hard to remove yes but not be able to be removed due to other things in the way. Usually a start is located at the bottom of a vehicle and it has to be attached to the transmission or where your fly wheel is at. Normally they are attached by two or three bolts and either two or three wire you can not remove until you un-attach the starter. For this process you will have to jack your car up and would put stands under the vehicle. Safety first and never take a chance I have seen to many thing to do something stupid. Autozone should be able to tell you if the starter or solenoid is bad

I'm sorry AmenCaddy I have to agree with Ranger the oil has nothing to do if the car will start or not. There are three things you need for a car to start AIR, Fuel, and electricity. Now the oil is to lube the working parts ONLY it does nothing to a car to make it not start unless you already froze your engine then you would not get nothing EVER!!!

The solution is there we just have not found it and not being there touching the items it is hard to try and guess or figure something out. Some things we can figure out by trial and error and other by personal experience but at the end you really have to physically touch and work on it to figure strange things like this out. One more thing if you are this Master mechanic then you would have known that gas in your oil is bad and not a good thing. Not only would you not run the car like this you would not start it up until you fix the leakage. The thought of draining the oil to provide less lubrication just baffles me

Sorry for my previous response but I did not notice there were 3 pages to this thread

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The starter is located in the valley under the intake manifold.

On top of the engine? I've seen one car like that before but do not remember which one it was and yes it was a bear but do able.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuwee View Post
    I'm sorry AmenCaddy I have to agree with Ranger the oil has nothing to do if the car will start or not. There are three things you need for a car to start AIR, Fuel, and electricity. Now the oil is to lube the working parts ONLY it does nothing to a car to make it not start unless you already froze your engine then you would not get nothing EVER!!!

The solution is there we just have not found it and not being there touching the items it is hard to try and guess or figure something out. Some things we can figure out by trial and error and other by personal experience but at the end you really have to physically touch and work on it to figure strange things like this out. One more thing if you are this Master mechanic then you would have known that gas in your oil is bad and not a good thing. Not only would you not run the car like this you would not start it up until you fix the leakage. The thought of draining the oil to provide less lubrication just baffles me

Sorry for my previous response but I did not notice there were 3 pages to this thread
    Thanks! I needed a good laugh, LOL!!! Maybe I will start a new thread regarding the phenomenon I experienced. This is now bordering on "thread hijacking"

Thanks AmenCaddy I think we are just miss understanding on whats being said because it is obvious you know your way around cars I must be reading it wrong or just not understanding what was said I did kind of jumped in late here...

Thanks AmenCaddy I think we are just miss understanding on whats being said because it is obvious you know your way around cars I must be reading it wrong or just not understanding what was said I did kind of jumped in late here...
    no worries! we're here to have fun mostly but i like to help people in the process and get opinions and advice as well as the next person. I certainly am no genius and am always open and eager to learn as I go, like you.

On top of the engine? I've seen one car like that before but do not remember which one it was and yes it was a bear but do able.
    Yup, the Northstar is rather unconventional in more than one way. Starter is on top, under the intake manifold, water pump is on the rear of the engine, coolant flow is backwards.

97Purlwhyte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville N*, 2005 CTS V6

Easy boys... the "click" start has returned!!!

I have no idea what it is. Friday at lunch I just wanted to check, and of course it didnt start so I pulled fuses, relays and battery cables until it started then I went str8 home! My thing is why would it start with a bad starter from pulling fuses???!!! Plus there were no wiring incedents before the starter was changed
    Saturday I cleaned my throttle body just for kicks.. it was fullfilling to "work" on my car and put it back together and it worked! (The white cloud was enormous... covered my whole parking lot!!)
    Anyway, I may just attempt to replace the starter again but this time do it myself. It just seems to me that the dang starter works... just not all time. Possibly that 83 dollars including shipping was not a smart purchase... I'll get a dealership starter and install it myself.

Are you sure that the battery is good, cables are clean and tight? Don't remember where you got the starter, but if it was a cheap aftermarket, that could be the problem. Get an A/C Delco starter if you are going to replace it again from rockauto or gmotors.

The battery constantly shows 14.1 volts, I've seen it go down far as 13.6 but never lower than that.
    Before I had this starter installed, this never happened. My guess is if I had an electrical problem, it would have surfaced before this.

Im going to write this off as "too good to be true" a Caddy starter is $400 for a reason.

Rockauto
    REMY Part # 96204 {Remy New Gold} $176.79

Quote Originally Posted by 97Purlwhyte View Post
    Im going to write this off as "too good to be true" a Caddy starter is $400 for a reason.
    Wait a minute. You can get great after market starters that are much less expensive. The one you got from Ebay, you said looked new. The problem started after the 1st mechanic intalled it?? I suspect something fishy at that point. You were at his mercy installing a part YOU supplied and are at a disadvantage therefore. Honestly, sir, that is like having the fox guard your chicken coop.
    A) you don't have a clue if the starter you purchased was actually installed or not (unless you have the old core, of course) and B) the mechanic might've been inclined to do something nasty to your car to get even with you for not buying the starter through him to get you back in his shop for more $$$$$work. (Believe me this is quite a common practice. I used to see it a lot when I worked at a Jaguar and the Toyota garage in my youth if the master guys didn't like the customer for some reason.) Sigh! Or maybe I've been watching too much CSI MIami. (Man, that was a good cup of coffee this morning) It really does sound like a poor battery connection and NOT the starter.

Actually, the old problem was turn the key, no start. The mechanic advised me it was the starter.
    So I ordered ebay starter which is warranteed and the seller will refund, so I doubt it's the starter too for this reason. Same problem, new (different)starter
    I go back to the mechanic, HE says its the starter and refused to look at anything remotely related to the battery or electrical.

Yesterday I jumped in, turned the key and click, just as i was about to get out the car, i just turned the key again, it started.
    So now I'm thinking, the fuse pulling was just exercise, the starter is doing the exact same thing the old one did. Multiple key turns to get it to catch. Once it catches it always turns over so how could this be a starter issue?

I've printed out the paper work for the Consumer advocacy business and fully intend on getting my money back from this mechanic. $292 to diagnose, $397 to install and it's still not working. Or better yet, still doing the exact same thing.
    But first I have to solve the riddle...

I've taken my car to a different mechanic and had them leave my vacuum hose off and try to sell me engine work... when I took it back and told him my car runs like the vacuum hose is disconnected, he fixed it but who knows what else he may have done. I noticed after that all but one of my engine cover screws are missing. I never went back to him, I managed to find another crook with a wrench.
    I started a thread to find a decent mechanic but all I found was Ewill who works for the dealership. Im not going to drive 100 miles round trip to pay dealer prices, I have a dealer 2 miles from my house.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.