Finally~ - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Finally~ in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Check THIS out... this morning, like yesterday it started before work. Yesterday, I let it sit all day while I ...
    97Purlwhyte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville N*, 2005 CTS V6

Re: Finally~

Check THIS out... this morning, like yesterday it started before work. Yesterday, I let it sit all day while I was at work, it started in the afternoon. Today I go out at noon, turn the key... click!! I swear if a woman gave me this much trouble she'd be gone in a heartbeat.
    So this time I go under the hood, start pulling all the fuses that say "ignition". wipe them and push them in... Bingo Bango it starts like a dream. I drive home park, come out; click! I replaced those 4 10A fuses and bam! Problem isolated. Something's going on in my fuse box it seems.
    (The old fuses weren't blown, just old, I haven't tested a warm start with the new fuses yet)
    Any ideas?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Look at the contacts to see if there is any rust in there. The old fuses are good if not blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Look at the contacts to see if there is any rust in there. The old fuses are good if not blown.
    I don't see any but this isn't the first run in with this fuse box. I had "theft det syst" messages for a spell and it seemed to go away when I started pulling fuses. I still get one every now and then, about once every 6-8 weeks or if it rains for a couple days. How easy it it to replace the fuse box or what would be best to do if this is indeed the problem? (The car would not start Friday after work, I left it, went back Sat (today) and it started right up.

I also pulled these codes and looked them up. Could you decipher if any of these point to what's happening please?!

P0300 HIST.-engine misfire
    P0603 HIST.-Control Mod Longterm Memory reset
    B1552 HIST.-K.A.M. error
    B1348 CURR.-Very Low AC refrig. Pressure
    B1147/1148-HIST.-Dr/Pass Side Air Bag Malfunction
    C1255 HIST.-EBCM Internal Malf.

Thanks!

Knowledge is Power!!

Changing the fuse block should not be too hard, but you'd have to be sure you get all the wiring right.

None of those codes look like they would cause your problem to me.

Changing the fuse block should not be too hard, but you'd have to be sure you get all the wiring right.

None of those codes look like they would cause your problem to me.

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it myself and, I cant afford to pay for it.
    First I'm going to lobby to the mechanic who installed the starter to check the wiring from the fuse block and see if he'll admit he misdiagnosed my car because it's NOT fixed at all. Maybe he'll see the err in his ways and fix my fuse box at no cost to me.

There may not be a problem with the fuse block. In fact there usually isn't. I just suggested looking at it as a possibility. Weird things happen sometimes.

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

it sounds more like a loose/corroded/bad conncetion related to the fuse box (based on pulling the fuse out and reinserting you moved things around a bit, this can also occur in the heat up/cool doen scenerio)...along rangers "weird things happen" I would not be surprised if taking the fuse block apart and putting it back together resolved the issue....sometimes its that simple, and you can probably do it yourself if you go one wire at a time. The trick is not to take too much apart at once, and it goes without saying to disconnect the battery.

AMENCADDY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car

See my post re: "even my mechanic is stumped" CHECK YOUR DIPSTICK, I tell you. Is it over full and does it smell like gasoline? Maybe as mentioned by the expert guy, this is far from the truth and I am just a nutty old dumbell but I swear to God, it sounds just like the problem I had with my 92 Deville not startin due to gasoline overfilling my oil sump.

Before I discovered this TRUTH, I had also replaced my starter,(without removing the intake, mind you. It was quite easy from under the car). New starter didn't solve the problem, so I thought the parts store sold me a bad starter. I took it back to them and raised hell. They begrudgingly took it back when I offered to buy a slightly more expensive model, even after they ran a check on their starter and it checked good. 2nd new starter didn't work either. Also, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator to no avail. I put in a new battery to no avail. Refurbished the Bat cables to no avail. Bypassed the coded key with a resistor matrix I rigged together, but no help. Brother I did everything that I could possible do, to no avail.

What was the final answer? Whenever, I drained the oil slightly, (which by the way was loaded with gasoline) the car would start right up and run, UNTIL when I parked the car at which point more gasoline would seep into the sump and overfill it again. Then, as you say,"click" -no start. Until I did the drain thing. Of course, the only solution to the whole thing was to eventually replace the leaking FIs.

Good luck

You obviously no nothing about cars or engines. What ever you observed was nothing more than a coincidence. I can assure you that draining a little oil had absolutely nothing to do with your car starting. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If you had let a little air out of the tires and it started, would you believe that overfilled tires will cause a no start?

By the way, I'm no expert. This is just basic common sense.

You obviously no nothing about cars or engines. What ever you observed was nothing more than a coincidence. I can assure you that draining a little oil had absolutely nothing to do with your car starting. That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.
    Well then, maybe it is a repeating coincidence.
    BTW, I have successfully rebuilt engines and cylinder heads, starter motors, etc. numberous times and have been my own successful master mechanic for almost 40 years now, not to mention a long career in Broadcast engineering and wiring, so to say that I "no" nothing about cars or engines is a bit imbecilic in itself. I have no other explanation as to why this worked. I just know it did. Must be a God thing! Peace, Ranger!

So it's been a couple weeks and ever since i got the car back i've just been driving and parking for awhile before I try to start it again. this has worked but as you can imagine it quite inconveinent.

So one weekend I go out pop the hood, snatch out all the fuses, and disconnect both battery cable to check for wear and tear. found nothng but I couldnt get the damn red cable screw to catch a thread because it has 2 sets of wires on one screw. so i took off the rubber cover on the end of the wire to make it fit, screwd it on and tried the key... it worked. So I turned it off, waited 30 inutes and tried it again... it works.

So Im looking through the information screens and I notice that the "oil left' is down to 73% percent. I dont know if it was the battery cable or the oil... I guess if i put a quart of oil in it and it dooesnt start, I'll know.

Anyway the point was... Thanks again guys.

Several people said it was the cables, I just had to get bold enough to venture under the hood. I may try to clean my throttle body this weekend, I'll try the oil trick then, and report back to clear up the culprit.

delatorre1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville 1985 Fleetwood

Well I bought a deville that wouldn't start it would just click and the battery was dead, he replaced the battery and relays fuses starter. I left him a deposit took the battery to charge it a home, and saw the battery cable terminal caked with corrosion! ha, came back cleaned them up a little bit, started right up and drove it home. His jaw dropped he was stunned, and I drove it home. Can't believe what a steal this car was. I still replaced the battery cables (17.00). That's why people are saying clean the post or replace the cables cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by 97Purlwhyte View Post

. I guess if i put a quart of oil in it and it dooesnt start, I'll know.
    Nah! surely yu jest! What if it is the oil ?? (although Ranger said it was a figment of my imagination that there was any connection). Then you'd have to climb under the car and let some of it back out, ya silly! LOL! Just enjoy your ride while it "seems" that the problem was just the cables after all.

So Im looking through the information screens and I notice that the "oil left' is down to 73% percent. I dont know if it was the battery cable or the oil.
    You where looking at the oil life remaining, not the oil level. Neither has anything remotely related to the cars ability to start.

BTW, I have successfully rebuilt engines and cylinder heads, starter motors, etc. numberous times and have been my own successful master mechanic for almost 40 years now, not to mention a long career in Broadcast engineering and wiring, so to say that I "no" nothing about cars or engines is a bit imbecilic in itself. I have no other explanation as to why this worked. I just know it did. Must be a God thing! Peace, Ranger!
    Amen, when I made that comment I had no idea of what your experience was. It wasn't meant as an insult. Hope you didn't take it that way. Knowing it now, I am very surprised that you even came to that conclusion. A God thing or a coincidence is much more plausible, as far fetched as it is. Believe me, there is absolutely no way that oil level or oil life can cause a no start, unless the oil is completely empty and the engine has seized. Having said that, I have started an engine that seized from no oil after refilling the crankcase. It did not sound very good mind you, but it did start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.