Coolant Flush
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Coolant Flush in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 98 Deville with 105,xxx miles on it. I just got it and realize it needs a coolant ...
    mrpib is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Coolant Flush

I have a 98 Deville with 105,xxx miles on it. I just got it and realize it needs a coolant flush. I have done this before myself on other vehicles. I have used the Prestone back flush kit you buy at Wal-Mart. I feel a little weird about leaving that plastic tee in the heater hose from now on.

1.) Does anyone use this Prestone back flush kit and leave the tee in and life is good?

2.) I need information about the tabs that I need to get and where I need to put them?

3.) Do most of you put back DexCool or GM approved Prestone DexCool?

4.) What else do I need to know about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

[NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

Re: Coolant Flush

For coolant tabs, check this post out:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...now-about.html

I use GM approved prestone dex because it is less corrosive

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Don't flush it. You won't get all the coolant out. If you flush it then you won't get all the water out so unless you use a refractometer, and keep adjusting, you'll never have 50/50. Just drain and refill 50/50 Dex/distilled water.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

The tabs can be bought at any GM dealer or at an AC-Delco parts store. The Delco part# is 10-108 and a the packet of 5 tabs is under $2. GM part# is 3634621 and more than $2.
    I used that Prestone flush kit 15/more years in my '81F100. Same T in place today. Installed a kit in my DeVille about 8+yrs ago and I flush the system in the car every two years and drop in another pack of tabs....3 in the lower hose, 2 in the radiator....crushed up good. My engine uses the Green AF.

Is there a post that shows this process? I would like to get some correct information about which hose is which.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I doubt there is any place to even cut and mount the Prestone capped T fitting, and it isn't necessary.

There are no block drains in a Northstar, so about 3 quarts of coolant always remains in the system. The ONLY way to completely exchange all the present 50/50 DEXCOOL mix is to use a vacuum operated coolant change machine.

The "upper " radiator hose leaves the water pump crossover housing and enters the passenger side radiator tank. The "lower" hose leaves the middle of the driver's side tank and enters the water pump cover.

The 1" line which leaves the bottom of the surge tank carries essentially no flow: it only allows the surge tank to "float" on the system.

Most of the smaller (5/8" and 3/4") heater and bypass hoses are essentially inaccessible.

Personally, I would never insert a flush fitting into a Northstar system. It isn't necessary and the coolant change intervals are 4 - 5 years apart.

Want it done correctly ??? Use a dealer spring special and spend the $125 to do a proper coolant change.

I went to the dealer and had the coolant system serviced. I asked if they used the tabs and they said that those are no longer standard operating procedure. I asked if they would use them anyway and they said they would about 20% of the customers requested them.
    I asked for a flush and the tech came to me and said he recommended a drain and refill as opposed to a flush. I accepted his recommendation of a drain and refill. Was that a good thing to do?

I also got the transmission fluid flushed.

I got both of thoe for $308.00 and I didn't get dirty. I walked across the street and shopped at Lowes. I'm pretty pleased, if they did their job correctly.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Too bad you didn't do it the other way around. I'd rather have seen the coolant flushed than the trans. The only thing I would flush is a toilet and I won't use tabs in IT either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.