2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have a 2001 DTS Sometimes it will not start, getting worse. I turn the key to start it,all the dash ...
    VH DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS-Fleetwoods-Deville-Limo

2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

Have a 2001 DTS Sometimes it will not start, getting worse. I turn the key to start it,all the dash lights go out, including heater and radio,it does not dim the headlights. If i fool around with it key, radio , shifter etc after a few minutes it usally starts. When it is cold it seems to start okay, drive it for a while and won't start. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

radarman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

Re: 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

Good question. I have a 2001 Deville with the exact problem. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Both keys do the same thing, so I don't think it is the key security feature. Appears to possibly be just a bad/intermittent ignition switch in the steering column??? I believe there are instructions somewhere on this site on how to replace it---just a guess---Please let me know if you find the problem.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Always start by pulling the DTC's. You may find a clue there.

radarman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville

Sorry Ranger, but there are never any DTCs when this happens. Acts like just a temporary bad connection although none is ever found---relays and fuses=Good. Battery has good connection. Key turns all the way into start position, but nothing happens. Just wait awhile or take key out and re-insert it later, and it may start or maybe not--try that again, and it may start, etc.
    I was thinking intermittent ignition switch, but wish there was a way to check for that without dropping steering column, etc.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That would be my suspicion as well. No need to drop the column. Just remove the upper and lower column shrouds. The switch is right there. Pretty easy R & R if I recall. Just had mine opened up to get at the shift cable when I converted to a floor shift. Didn't pay all that much attention since that was not my main focus, but I do recall looking at it and thinking this is a lot easier than what I'm used to should the need ever arise.

Notice:
    The upper shroud will not come off after removing the lower screws (under the column). There is a small torx head screw holding it down from the inside, on the passengers side of the column. It requires a torx socket. I don't have any, but was able to remove it slowly with a pair of needle nose pliers.

aktr2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville (base) 2001

had the same issue, car was stuck over my aunts house due to it.... later read on here to try spraying wd-40 into the key hole and on the key, wipe the key then try to start...

worked perfect.... thought it was a hoax until a week later it did it again, same issue.... sprayed it again.... car started right up, been working every since

bling80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville NorthStar

I got a 01 STS that does the same thing on cold days. I am like wtf sometimes then it starts. I would like to figure this thing out because it is a real pain sometimes.

2k Seville man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2k Cadillac Seville SLS, Pearl White

My 2000 sls does the same thing. Yeasterday at the beginning of the day it happened three or four times, and every time it occurred (turn the key to on position, then to start, the dash lights go off and nothing happens) I would push the gear shift toward the dash and to the left and it would start every time. Later on in the day ir was fine. I have yet to try it this morning. Temp may have something to do with it. Yesterday the day started at about 30 and dropped all day. At night is was single digits. That is when I had very little problem, but then again the car was driven 75 miles straight and was very warm. My own personal observations indicated a problem with the connection at the gear shift. I don't know how it works, but obviously if the lever is in a gear it won't start either. The difference here is that the dash lights go off. A mystery.

01devillew/05 nav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville DHS

I've had this problem since I bought the car in 05. I even had new GM keys cut and programmed. Sometimes I splash some water on the key and shake it off and it starts. Sometimes I'll lock and unlock from the fob and it will start. My guess is it's not getting recognized thru the vats system or something. I used to keep the spare set in the car and using a different key always worked. Anyone else out there having this problem It's something I would love to fix for good.

MarWell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

I also have same problem. No DTC codes. After a few weeks it just will not restart. Like power to starter interrupted. Same with all our keys. No security light.
    Anybody have issue resolved besides very expensive dealer service?
    I may replace ignition cylinder lock and ignition switch which reads code in key head. Cost about $120 for both parts. Does not look too difficult, but first air bags have to be disarmed.
    Great car when it starts, but usless as on a bore hog when it refuses to start.

yamahadude9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

Im having the same issue with my 01 deville i just bought. It will not turn over and when i turn the key the dash lights and everything go out. Anyone figure out a resolution for this problem im very frustrated ! It ran great yesterday btw and i have no dtc's , tia

v8motorcycleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

My wife is starting to complain of the same issue with our '01 DTS. She eventually gets it to start but it has taken upwards of 10 times trying. She is vague about what does or does not light up on the dash.

couldn't sleep so i went and tried to start it another 20 or so times with no luck, figures id get a pos car !! I have the rear seat out and i can hear the relays clicking when i try and start it, which i assume is normal ?

any ideas people, i just bought the car and im broke i could really use some help ! Im having the same issue with my 01 deville. It will not turn over and when i turn the key the dash lights, radio and everything go out. Anyone figure out a resolution for this problem im very frustrated ! It ran great yesterday btw and i have no dtc's , tia

ok so its the ignition micro relay number 49 thats clicking and its hot, how do you remove that relay does it just pull out ? do you think its just a bunk relay or is there a bigger problem ?? Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.