Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

71K views 69 replies 44 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Have a 2001 DTS Sometimes it will not start, getting worse. I turn the key to start it,all the dash lights go out, including heater and radio,it does not dim the headlights. If i fool around with it key, radio , shifter etc after a few minutes it usally starts. When it is cold it seems to start okay, drive it for a while and won't start. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
Good question. I have a 2001 Deville with the exact problem. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Both keys do the same thing, so I don't think it is the key security feature. Appears to possibly be just a bad/intermittent ignition switch in the steering column??? I believe there are instructions somewhere on this site on how to replace it---just a guess---Please let me know if you find the problem.

#4 ·
Sorry Ranger, but there are never any DTCs when this happens. Acts like just a temporary bad connection although none is ever found---relays and fuses=Good. Battery has good connection. Key turns all the way into start position, but nothing happens. Just wait awhile or take key out and re-insert it later, and it may start or maybe not--try that again, and it may start, etc.
I was thinking intermittent ignition switch, but wish there was a way to check for that without dropping steering column, etc.

#5 ·
That would be my suspicion as well. No need to drop the column. Just remove the upper and lower column shrouds. The switch is right there. Pretty easy R & R if I recall. Just had mine opened up to get at the shift cable when I converted to a floor shift. Didn't pay all that much attention since that was not my main focus, but I do recall looking at it and thinking this is a lot easier than what I'm used to should the need ever arise.

Notice:
The upper shroud will not come off after removing the lower screws (under the column). There is a small torx head screw holding it down from the inside, on the passengers side of the column. It requires a torx socket. I don't have any, but was able to remove it slowly with a pair of needle nose pliers.

#6 ·
had the same issue, car was stuck over my aunts house due to it.... later read on here to try spraying wd-40 into the key hole and on the key, wipe the key then try to start...

worked perfect.... thought it was a hoax until a week later it did it again, same issue.... sprayed it again.... car started right up, been working every since

#8 ·
My 2000 sls does the same thing. Yeasterday at the beginning of the day it happened three or four times, and every time it occurred (turn the key to on position, then to start, the dash lights go off and nothing happens) I would push the gear shift toward the dash and to the left and it would start every time. Later on in the day ir was fine. I have yet to try it this morning. Temp may have something to do with it. Yesterday the day started at about 30 and dropped all day. At night is was single digits. That is when I had very little problem, but then again the car was driven 75 miles straight and was very warm. My own personal observations indicated a problem with the connection at the gear shift. I don't know how it works, but obviously if the lever is in a gear it won't start either. The difference here is that the dash lights go off. A mystery.

#9 ·
:hmm:I've had this problem since I bought the car in 05. I even had new GM keys cut and programmed. Sometimes I splash some water on the key and shake it off and it starts. Sometimes I'll lock and unlock from the fob and it will start. My guess is it's not getting recognized thru the vats system or something. I used to keep the spare set in the car and using a different key always worked. Anyone else out there having this problem It's something I would love to fix for good.

#10 ·
I also have same problem. No DTC codes. After a few weeks it just will not restart. Like power to starter interrupted. Same with all our keys. No security light.
Anybody have issue resolved besides very expensive dealer service?
I may replace ignition cylinder lock and ignition switch which reads code in key head. Cost about $120 for both parts. Does not look too difficult, but first air bags have to be disarmed.
Great car when it starts, but usless as tits on a bore hog when it refuses to start.

#14 ·
any ideas people, i just bought the car and im broke i could really use some help ! Im having the same issue with my 01 deville. It will not turn over and when i turn the key the dash lights, radio and everything go out. Anyone figure out a resolution for this problem im very frustrated ! It ran great yesterday btw and i have no dtc's , tia

#20 ·
You could try loosening and retightening the underhood B+ access terminal. This is the large stud-and-nut in the big passenger-side fusebox that's covered by the red plastic cover (often used as access for jumper cables or battery chargers). This nut being loose caused an identical problem in one of my Devilles.

A similar problem was caused either by a bad solenoid, or starter. And in that case, replacement of the starter cured that one.

#23 ·
If you have the renching capability attempt to check the starter wiring connection burried within the intake manafold. The cable may have become disconnected. If you take it to a shop it will be costly but I am sure the connection will be loose. This exact thing was happening with my friends 2000 deville. Take my advice check the starter connection.

#24 ·
This may be a long shot, but here it goes.

The side pole batteries in these cars are subject to failure. My original battery failed late at night after driving the car for about an hour home after work. I made a quick stop to the post office and by the time I got back into the car, the car acted like what you're experiencing now. I also noted a strange odor in the car too, kinda like a sweet and sower smell. Turned out the battery had failed. The negative side pole broke apart inside the battery. To look at the battery, it appeared to be fine. Even lifting on the battery cable, it at first appeared to be solid. But when I looked closer, I could see the battery had swelled some and there was "water" leaking from the side pole. I pulled a little harder on the battery cable and the entire mount just came out of the battery. Cable, bolt and part of the side pole too. Very strange.

Bottom line, take the time to remove both battery cables from the battery just to make sure and even temporarily install another side pole battery so you can positively remove the battery from the equation.

#26 ·
I am having the exact same issues with my 01 DTS!! at first i thought it was the ignition since sometimes it was hard to turn the key over but now im completly lost!!! once it did this it now say " service stability system" "service theft system" and reduced speed to 90!!! i dropped it off at the dealership today so maybe i will find out something to help everyone else with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.