2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Disconect Positive terminal on battery located under back seat...i had the same problem and saved myself 500.00 by cleaning the ...
    beeks1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac dts

Re: 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

Disconect Positive terminal on battery located under back seat...i had the same problem and saved myself 500.00 by cleaning the terminal...it was nasty...major problem with 2001 Cadillac DTS

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by beeks1 View Post
    major problem with 2001 Cadillac DTS
    Not really. Battery and its terminals are the must-check item when you are facing the no start problems, but it's not a major problem found in other 2001s. Actually, since the batterys were moved to the back seat and has its own vent tube, I have never seen a buildup on these cars. Is your vent tube correctly connected?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

I noticed through the course of this thread everyone has looked at the postive battery cable and fuses.

Which is a good place to look, but every electrical circuit needs two things to function correctly. A positive source and negative ground connection. Without a ground connection you will experience the symptoms described above.

Ironically so did I when I fixed my transmission on my deville. Since I bought the car second hand, I didn't now what it had been through. After fixing the trans, my first attempt to start it was followed by a turn of the ignition cylinder and NOTHING?! I was completely lost. I ended up finding the ground cable on the right side frame rail that attaches to the cylinder head, off?! The previous owner "rigged" the ground strap, in my repair it came loose.

When I went to first start the car, I had nothing, followed by all types of codes. I thought I might have fried the pcm some how. After looking at some of the fuses and relays I came to the conclusion I had a bad connection somewhere. I looked at the ground strap on the right side frame rail, it wasn't even attached to the engine?! A loose or poor connection can give you these same problems.

I took the ground strap from the 98 sts donor car, cleaned it up bolted it back on the head and the frame, bingo?! I was back in business.......

Check those ground connections also folks........

SaltyDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Mine is not a dirty cable or missing ground or anything like that. I actually replaced the whole battery and the cables are fine. The battery is grounded to the frame right next to the battery.

Anyway, it doesn't always do this. Usually if I have been driving for a while, starting and stopping. For example, if I am shopping with the wife, going to about 10 different stores in different areas. We'll go to the first store, car works just fine. After shopping for a while, go to the second store, car works just fine. After several different stores, say after the 7th or so, the car won't start. The radio works, and everything else works just. When I try to start it though, it doesn't click, turn over, or anything. And then if I let it sit for a few minutes, it starts right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Every one in a while it will do this without starting and stopping several times too. For example, on New Years Eve, I hadn't driven the car all day. That evening I took the wife to a New Years Eve party. It started and drove just fine. After being there for several hours, when it came time to go home, car did this (would not start). After letting it sit for a few minutes it started up just fine like nothing was ever wrong.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

There is a a relay in the engine compartment fuse box that you may want to try swapping with a new one to see if the problem persists. I don't remember the exact number location but I know it's the START 1 RELAY. This may help also....

SaltyDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS
    This blows. My car is doing this right now.

Pretty sure it is something to do with the security system. If I hold the trumpet button on the remote nothing happens.

jeffdts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

01 dts did this almost a year ago. wouldn't do anything, dash lights on but turn the key and nothing happened. I sprayed my key with wd-40 and it started right up. no problems since. Think I read that on here somewhere. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

StephanBlake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS Black

OK My caddy does the same. Its a 2001 DTS.. anyway I believe i found the problem.. well at least for mine. I located the starter on the engine and with a long enough bar you can LIGHTY tap the solenoid. It ALWAYS works for me so my problem is the starter solenoid. SO new starter in the future!

Bar to slightly tap the solenoid
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here is where to insert the bar
    rsz_20130331_194439[1].jpg

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Well I'll be dipped. I never realized that you could see the starter there. Learn something new every day.

CRANK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville Mary Kay Edition

Anyone figure out the solution to this problem? My 2003 Deville just started doing this today. I also noticed my front drivers side tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning. The pressure says low but checking it with a gauge manually it is at the correct pressure.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by CRANK View Post
    Anyone figure out the solution to this problem? My 2003 Deville just started doing this today. I also noticed my front drivers side tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning. The pressure says low but checking it with a gauge manually it is at the correct pressure.
    ----------------------------
    this post is 5 years old -
    and no one is going to go back and re-read the entire thing -

you would be better off starting a new thread - and describe your problem -

regarding the TPMS -

check all 4 tries -
    each time the tires are rotated - they must be reset -
    or the display won't show the correct tire -

if the system is relating the correct positions -
    and all the tires are at the correct pressure -
    the battery in the TPM is probably weak -
    they last about 10 years -

no - the TPM is not "serviceable" -
    and the battery can't just be replaced -
    that would be too easy - and too cheap -

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Stephan THANKS! Pictures are great. I would never have thought you could get to the N solenoid. A old trick brought to life on a N. Thanks again. Mike
    StephanBlake likes this.

ELBLANCO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hello: first I want to thank every one for sharing your expiriances, try to re-arm the alarm with your controll two times, and then desarm, enter the car put the key in ignition, turn it, but do not star, wait for the securtity sign to stop blinkning and then turn it on. it work, so I will keep you posted. Is a beutiful car, but the security system may be falling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.