2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Did we get any further with this thread? Any solutions? Mine is getting worse and doing it more frequently....
    v8motorcycleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Re: 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

Did we get any further with this thread? Any solutions? Mine is getting worse and doing it more frequently.

luminazkidd21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS 96 ELDO(had) 95 Newyorker, 92 lumina z34

FYI guys, Finally checked the stored DTC codes and replaced the camshaft position sensor, the upper and lower position sensors and STILL ITS NOT STARTING..!!!??? WTF i dont know what else to do?

crash712us is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have been told by a guy at the auto parts store that had the same issue on a buick. That is the ignition switch, he said the wires that read the key are broken because of the auto tilt wheel. I turned off for now going to see if that changes anything.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That was true with the VATS system. Not sure if it still holds true with the current Passkey or not.

rockcrusher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

Are You sure its an ignition key issue? Can you here the fuel pump run when you first turn ignition to on postion? If you cant here it Put a gauge on fuel rail make sure fuel pressure is present during cranking. A defective/ intermitant fuel pump doesnt show an error code, as far I am aware of. 2000 and up are an easy change. access is via the trunk no need to drop tank. Dont forget the fuel filter. I ruined a new filter all it took was 5 gallons of gas I took out of a gas can. it had dirt in it. the fuel filter plugged up right away. Could be a loose pump ground or power a wire as well. these problems wont show up on computer codes. I know with a steel tank you can clamp a booster cable onto the lip of the tank then find a good ground like the frame clamp other end on the frame, if it starts up its a broken ground wire at the tank.

GGS
    GGS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville DTS

Had this exact thing happen with a 2000 Deville, Everything checked out ok, no codes, when I finally hooked a spare emergency starter battery to the underseat battery to start the vehicle the negative pole pulled right out of the side of the battery, problem solved!

gmfm86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 dhs

My 2002 dhs has had the no start here and there for over a year now..my best way is to put it in accessories and rapidly turn it over and off sometimes it takes about 20 turns.

kilojay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville dts 131,000m

Had the same exact problem changed the starter and havent had a "no start" since. $180 for the starter and $80 for the labor

luminazkidd21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS 96 ELDO(had) 95 Newyorker, 92 lumina z34

So this is my issue wanted to post it here as well as my thread "intermittent starting issue" just wanna know if this is similar to what you guys are experiencing

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Have you pulled the DTC's? What's the battery voltage?

mrburnout81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Caddy DTS

thats exactly what mine does. starting to get to the point of pissing me off. don't want to start throwing parts at it. everything seems fine, other than randomly not starting.

justin4yu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 2door sedan

Quote Originally Posted by mrburnout81 View Post
    thats exactly what mine does. starting to get to the point of pissing me off. don't want to start throwing parts at it. everything seems fine, other than randomly not starting.
    I researched. What was the problem with my 92 fleetwood? No crank, it was the passkey system I took my keys to an electronics repair shop told him I wanted a resistor with the same value as in the key he charged me a dollar I found the orange wire under the dash going to the ignition looks like an orange speaker wire its small cliped it and soldered the resistor between the two wires to bypass the passkey system. It will start.

yellow1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Had the exact same issue with my 2000. Was going to the new starter route when I found that the wire on the starter was only loose. Close examination one could see that the connection was arching when you hit the key. Tightened the 12 volt connection at the starter and never again had the problem.

vh-coachworks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS, DeVille, Formal, eldorado,

Has anyone found a definite solution for this yet!? My 01' DTS has the exact same symptoms as the original post! I NEED help!!

NerosTail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by luminazkidd21 View Post

So this is my issue wanted to post it here as well as my thread "intermittent starting issue" just wanna know if this is similar to what you guys are experiencing
    My 2001 DTS does the exact same thing. I drive it around for a bit, and then it doesn't do anything when I try to start it. No cranking or turning over, no clicking, it just doesn't do anything. Exactly the same as that video.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.