2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yamahodude, have you tried spraying the WD-40 yet in the keyhole?...
    Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Re: 2001 DTS Won't start sometimes.

Yamahodude, have you tried spraying the WD-40 yet in the keyhole?

yamahadude9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

I have ,no dice with wd, also tried some different procedures with the ignition and key but she wont turn over. the dash lights just shut off and i hear that relay click. Thanks

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The relay pulls out just like a fuse. Pull it and swap it with a known good one and see if that helps. If so, replace it.

I thought it just pulled out but man are those things in there tight, I got it out and im gonna swing over to advance tomorrow and grab a new relay, i'll let ya know how it works out for me, Thanks

MisterBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You could try loosening and retightening the underhood B+ access terminal. This is the large stud-and-nut in the big passenger-side fusebox that's covered by the red plastic cover (often used as access for jumper cables or battery chargers). This nut being loose caused an identical problem in one of my Devilles.

A similar problem was caused either by a bad solenoid, or starter. And in that case, replacement of the starter cured that one.

relay wasnt the problem, battery cables and all connections are solid, battery is up. IDK what to do im so pissed off right now i may light this effing POS on fire and push it out in the road !!!!!!!!! FML

would someone do me a huge favor a take a quick picture of the under hood fuse box with the cover off. I think i might have put a relay back incorrectly and a pic would help me out big time. anyone with a 2000-2005 should work, Thank You

Cadillacon22s is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Seville, 93 Fleetwood and a 96 Eldorado

If you have the renching capability attempt to check the starter wiring connection burried within the intake manafold. The cable may have become disconnected. If you take it to a shop it will be costly but I am sure the connection will be loose. This exact thing was happening with my friends 2000 deville. Take my advice check the starter connection.

cosmictrucker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 DeVille Base

This may be a long shot, but here it goes.

The side pole batteries in these cars are subject to failure. My original battery failed late at night after driving the car for about an hour home after work. I made a quick stop to the post office and by the time I got back into the car, the car acted like what you're experiencing now. I also noted a strange odor in the car too, kinda like a sweet and sower smell. Turned out the battery had failed. The negative side pole broke apart inside the battery. To look at the battery, it appeared to be fine. Even lifting on the battery cable, it at first appeared to be solid. But when I looked closer, I could see the battery had swelled some and there was "water" leaking from the side pole. I pulled a little harder on the battery cable and the entire mount just came out of the battery. Cable, bolt and part of the side pole too. Very strange.

Bottom line, take the time to remove both battery cables from the battery just to make sure and even temporarily install another side pole battery so you can positively remove the battery from the equation.

sts2980 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS, 2010 Caravan, 1992 V12 S600 Lawn Ornament

I have a similiar yet much more infrequent problem on my 98' STS, I am waiting the solution so I can repair mine. My starter is brand new, and battery appears in good shape. Doesnt happen enough yet for me to panic, but would like to repair.....

vickrz01DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

I am having the exact same issues with my 01 DTS!! at first i thought it was the ignition since sometimes it was hard to turn the key over but now im completly lost!!! once it did this it now say " service stability system" "service theft system" and reduced speed to 90!!! i dropped it off at the dealership today so maybe i will find out something to help everyone else with.

etheliters is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

Three days into my investigaton of this Im wondring about the NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH . If I shift to neutral my car tends to start, yet sometimes it seems dead, only clicking starter, then a few t
    ries it works fine.

jamesjmcgee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

My Deville had the same problem. I hooked a multimeter to the purple wire going to the starter, confirmed 12 volts when the key was turned.... replaced my starter. Problem solved.

sts2980 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS, 2010 Caravan, 1992 V12 S600 Lawn Ornament

We ever have a def. fix on this issue? my beauty sittin on driveway, no start, was intermittant problem that always seem to start after a few tries, now, nothin for last 48 hrs.
    If anyone can help or have simple fix email me
    jvs@bell.blackberry.net

luminazkidd21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS 96 ELDO(had) 95 Newyorker, 92 lumina z34

I have this issue too on my 01 DTS, but I dont get any clicking indicating a bad starer, and i notice it only does it after small trips. Like driving to work if I try to leave within an hour it wont start. You turn the Key and nothing and thats with any key. after a few tries it eventually starts and the service engine light will come on after started but the light goes off after two more uninterupted starts. I havent tried the WD-40 trick but Id like a fix cause it really bums me out having this awsome car with shitty quality. I love this car and will not get rid of it but definatly shakes my faith in it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.