Help with AC codes 98 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Help with AC codes 98 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My son in law just replaced my air compressor, dryer and orfice tube in my 1998 deville,( he's a GM ...
    paintedalley is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help with AC codes 98 Deville

My son in law just replaced my air compressor, dryer and orfice tube in my 1998 deville,( he's a GM mechanic) all was funcitional until it started blowing warm air, anyway now the ac will not cycle on, he says there are some kind of codes to be entered in order for the sysem to work, and can not find anyone who knows the codes.. when bypassed externally the compressor works, so everything is correctly installed. would you guys know what codes to enter? and how?
    THanks
    vanessa

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Help with AC codes 98 Deville

The system will automatically disable the compressor when it detects "very low refrigerant" so as not to destroy the compressor. since he had the system opened and he does not know how to get it running, I am guessing he did not charge the system. When the system detects low refrigerant and shuts down the compressor it should set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code). That DTC must be cleared in order to operate the compressor while recharging.
    Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control. All segments of the dash will light up as a check to be sure they are working. Then it will list all current and historical codes. After the codes are listed it will ask PCM? Answer yes with the HIGH fan button, then answer no with the LOW fan button to the next options til it gets to CLEAR CODES? Obviously answer yes. Once the refrigerant codes are cleared the system can be recharged. Just be sure the refrigerant is hooked up and ready to go as soon as the system is turned on for recharging so it does not set the low refigerant code again. Simple ain't it

Quote Originally Posted by paintedalley
    My son in law just replaced my air compressor, dryer and orfice tube in my 1998 deville,( he's a GM mechanic) all was funcitional until it started blowing warm air, anyway now the ac will not cycle on, he says there are some kind of codes to be entered in order for the sysem to work, and can not find anyone who knows the codes.. when bypassed externally the compressor works, so everything is correctly installed. would you guys know what codes to enter? and how?
    THanks
    vanessa

HI, thanks for the reply, clearing the codes didn't help tho...this is what went on..the old compressor was removed as was the dryer and orfice tube, new parts were put on and the system was vaccumed down and then re-charged as with any other make of car. after doing this we now have a service air cond light on and if you try to push the ac button it will not stay on it switches to econo, fan works well just no cold air, compressor tests good and will work if manually activated. the car is not realizing it has a new compressor with new r134a.... any other suggestions??? (p.s the service air light was not on before)
    Vanessa

If the service A/C light is on there should be a code stored which should point toward the problem. For some reason the PCM is not recognizing a charged system and commanding the compressor off. Perhaps an unplugged or bad low pressure sensor? Bad connection or unplugged compressor? Maybe try pulling battery power for :10 min. and see if something resets. I'm kinda shooting from the hip now.
    Here's a few more ideas:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...022#post118022

hey thanks for the reply again,

well I cleared the codes and there was nothing listed and now we have a service the AC message so I guess no we'll diconnect the battery for a few seconds and see if there are any new codes. in case I missed listing somthing here is want went on again.
    98 deville 114K, started blowing sorta not cold enough air and gradually over 2 weeks got warm, except at high speeds than it was cold enough, very warm at low speeds, mechanic said the compressor was bad. Son in law reminded us it was recharged when we bought it in Feb. and maybe there was air in the lines, so he vaccumed it? and recharged it adding oil charge and conditoner/stop leak, nope didn't work..but the lines were cold before the orfice tube and warm after..AWE opened the lines and the orfice tube was FULL of tiny metal shavings from the compressor! so I got a new compressor, dryer and orfice tube, put all on drained the system and charged it ( adding oil to the compressor frist) now no cold air at all , no codes at the time and air will not stay on switches to econo, inside outside temps are correct, blower is fine. ((Compressor will cycle when hotwired from under the hood.)) we cleared all codes and tried again, THAN the service ac light came on. my son in law is a certified GM/Chrysler mechanic, but has not worked on many cadillacs and is at a total loss.. how do you figure out what to do next?
    THanks for the help so far!

I am at a loss. If your son in law is a Gm mechanic he knows much more about A/C systems than I. Try posting the question at caddyinfo, there are some pretty sharp guys over there. Maybe they can help.
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

If the compressor failed did you thoroughtly purge and clean the condensor and evaporator with solvent and compressed air to get all the debris out of the system??? If not, then possibly debris is clogging the orifice tube again.

I would evacuate the system and check the orifice tube for debris. If there is debris in it then the system needs to be dissassembled and purged thoroughtly with solvent and compressed air.

Otherwise, if the system is fully charged with R134a the compressor should come on fine. Disconnecting the battery negative terminal for 30 seconds to reset the low refrigerant warning will allow the compressor to reapply and if the system is full of refrigerant it will clear the low refrigerant code automatically.

There are no codes or special resets required to make the system work after service like that. Just disconnecting the battery should reset any low refrigerant warnings that were there from before the repair and will enable the compressor to engage.

Is the system charged to the correct value?? Some times there are erroneous information to charge with R134a to a lesser charge than the original factory spec for R12. This is not true. Charge with R134a to the exact SAME spec as was originally required for the car with R12. This way the system will cool correctly and will not trip any low refrigerant codes in the future.

Are you positive the system is still charged..?? Possibly there was another leak that went undetected after the compressor was assumed to be the only problem and the R134a has leaked out so the compressor is rightly shutting off.

thanks for the reply! what does this code mean? B1314 - Evaporator Inlet Temp Sensor Open Circuit only code showing...well evacuate the system and start over..any idea where this sensor is? would it make the system blow warm and not allow the compressor to come on?
    vanessa

found the 2 sensors and both sensors are plugged in good, I guess they make a vaccume sound when unplugged and plugged in? all fuses are good in all 3 locations. unplugged the battery for 60 sec and re-read the codes, still only code is ICM B1314 son in law says there is 2.5 lbs of r134a and compressor cycles when hotwired or bypassed under the hood, is there a process of reseting anything after the compressor is replaced? (sigh!) system was flushed and drained before adding the new stuff, there was a palm full of junk from the other compressor, the old one never quit cycling and I never got any warning codes..just warm air
    vanessa

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The car is giving you a code for whats wrong. Until you repair the problem the computer won't turn the compressor back on again. I would suspect that wires got pulled off the sensor so check and make sure the wires are tight. If thats not the problem check the price on a new sensor. I hate to reccomend parts swapping but if its cheap enough swap the sensor out. If its expensive then you need to get someone who knows how to check the sensor and associated wiring to look at it for you.

Steve B.

Light-Zone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Paintedalley, my 97 Deville is doing the EXACT same thing. Reading your account was like I had writted it myself. Did you ever get the issue resolved?

Light-Zone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, I just picked up my car from Cadillac. The reason the AC was not blowing cold, despite the fact that a new compressor, oriface tube and dryer were installed, (by a local, non caddy mechanic) was that the new oriface tube was installed backwards! It shorted out the sensor. It had to be drilled out, replaced, and a new sensor put in. $650.

I learned the hard way....sometimes it just pays to go to Cadillac. The guy who did the origional install had 22 years GM experience, but NOT on caddies.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.