What's the difference between these DeVilles and Fleetwoods? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, What's the difference between these DeVilles and Fleetwoods? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm talking about the big ol' boaty four doors that GRAND PA'S drive......Yuk!...
    kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm talking about the big ol' boaty four doors that GRAND PA'S drive......Yuk!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I bet you don't like the Buick Roadmaster, or Impala's, Caprice's then?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm not a big Buick fan, Impala's just a Chevy, Caprice? LOL!!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    I don't know if I want to get the Fleetwood because it may just be too big for what I need. I know I said I wanted BIG but I'm used to driving my Vette and before that - an ETC.. So I think the DeVille will be okay.. But I will keep it in mind. If the price is right - I just think I like the way the DeVille looks ALITTLE better..

I can't believe the NEW DeVille is basically the same size inside as the STS - which is basically the same size as the ETC.. What the heck is going on in the world? This is why everyone is buying SUV's...

The last BIG car I had was a 1979 Sedan DeVille.. That was BIG to me..
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    FYI: The Fleetwood 60 Special was NOT a big RWD boat. It was offered on the smaller FWD platform. And it was just a slightly stretched FWD Fleetwood.

Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special

Re: What's the difference between these DeVilles and Fleetwoods?

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    And it was just a slightly stretched FWD Fleetwood.
    That was true for '87 and '88. From '89-'92 it had the same dimensions as the Deville/ FWD Fleetwood. These years also added the 22 way power seats. In '93, the 60 Special was last year's Fleetwood, with the seats as an option.

From '94-'95, the Deville had the 4.9L, while the Concours had a 270HP Northstar (275 in '95). From '96 until '99, the Base had the 275HP Northstar, and the Concours had the 300HP version.

Some of the major differences b/w Deville and Concours:
    In '94, the Concours had road sensing suspension, a 11 speaker system, 16" (vs. 15") rims, and monochrome side moldings and bumpers.

In '95, there were a few minor improvements, such as formerly optional tration control was now standard. Concours now had a Integrated Chassis Control System for brake performance and stability.

A bit of changes in '96. More powerful PCM, mass airflow sensors added, better fuel injectors, and ICCS now standard on the Base model.
    Concours also had Magnasteer, rainsense wipers, and Continuously Variable Road sensing suspension.

There was a restyling in '97, with a d'Elegance model now between the base and the Concours. Concours is now 5 passengers. New features was side air bags, and standard Magnasteer on the base. d'Elegance and Concours had a personal memory package, and Concours had Stabillitrak.

In '98, Stabillitrack was optional on the lower 2 models, and RDS radios were standard. Concours had an improved Magnasteer system that also reacted to lateral acceleraton (Yaw control I think). Heated seats were standard on the top 2 models.

Not many changes in '99. The top 2 models had optional massaging seats.

Probably missing a few important points, but after typing all that, I don't want to be here for a while.

When did heated seats make it into DeVilles? '97?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Don't forget the Fleetwoods towing capacity. That, and the aftermarket parts availability, are the two main reasons to buy a Fleetwood over a Deville.

Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    When did heated seats make it into DeVilles? '97?
    They were an option since '94.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew60SP
    They were an option since '94.
    Would it be death itself to install this option? I mean.. Could I buy the heated seats and install them in the car without spending $450,000.00?

Sevillius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    As an owner of a 96 SLS, and a 93 Sedan DeVille...after reading this and other posts on similar subject, I have been keeping my eyes open for a 95 or 96 Fleetwood Brougham.

I like the idea of a regular RWD car with the LT1 engine, but I have to admit that, compared to my other 2 Cads and most all others, the Fleetwood is a bit ugly. Remember, I mean just compared to other Cadillacs.

I figure the looks actually helps people like me, due to depreciationisms.

Every time I see one I kind of think of the Penguin in Batman.

Does anyone know when the Fleetwoods switched to DexCool?

Paul G.

PS: I was at Pigeon Forge for the F100 Supernationals in May. One morning, in my motel parking lot there sat, side by side, one 94/96? Fleetwood and an equal DeVille. Both the same color, nearly, and both with the same color vinyl tops. Even with these 2 cars nearly touching, it was extremely hard, except for the rear wheel area, to tell them apart.
    I spent 10 minutes walking back and forth around them...I imagine I looked suspicious, but it sure was worth it!

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    They're not ugly

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    A bit ugly?

No FOSS for you.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

He's not a fleetwood owner, so he cant be a FOSSer!

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Something odd about the administrator of the Cadillac Forums NOT having a Cadillac

The Fleetwood has ALWAYS been the top of the line Cadillac. Their ultimate luxury sedan. Through the years, the Fleetwood ended up as just an upgraded Deville but always maintained it's place as the ultimate Cadillac. In the mid 80's, the FWD product line was in full swing and Cadillac started thowing names around their lineup, most notably the Fleetwood name. For a short while there were TWO Fleetwoods, one FWD, and one RWD. Cadillac finally dropped the "Fleetwood" name from the RWD car leaving it to be simply called the "Brougham".
    The RWD car was pretty much abandoned by Cadillac throughout the rest of the 80's and into the 90's, left to survive on only minor "token" upgrades, while they concentrated on their FWD cars. Finally, in '93 a new RWD car was introduced. The RWD Fleetwood was "reborn" with an entirely new body and interior, but a pretty much "carry-over" drivetrain. Unfortunately, plans for a new engine were put on hold for one year. The LO5 Chevrolet 5.7 V8 was the engine for '93 and '93 ONLY. In '94, the Fleetwood was "BLESSED" with the addition of the LT1 V8. It was already used in many other full-size RWD cars in various GM lines, and had accumulated quite a following.
    The RWD Fleetwood was back and it was the largest production vehicle on the market (even several inches longer than the Suburban). Unfortunately, it was to be the vehicle's swan-song since even as Cadillac was building their "D" body RWD Fleetwood, along side it's Buick and Chevy "B" body sister cars in Arlington, TX, GM had already decided to kick truck (SUV)production into high-gear and they realized that they needed more production room to do it. So it was decided that the Arlington plant would be "truck-central" and that meant the slow-selling B & D cars would be sacrificed. Since it was already decided that '96 would be the last year for the big RWD brutes, GM again pretty much let the cars sail into oblivion with little or no upgrades for the remaining couple years of production.
    I hope this gives you a feel for what the differences were between the cars.
    I had always thought the Eldorado was the top of the line Cadillac. Well, that was back then. Now, theres no doubt, the Fleetwood is the top of line Cadillac. A 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood is one of my dream cars. I LOVE them in white. We were once at his garden store and a BEAUTIFUL white 94+ Fleetwood pulls up and parks close to the Escalade. (I wish they woulda parked next to it so I could compare size) Of course, an old lady was the owner. I kept my distance cause they were standing a short distance away. WOW! That has to be the biggest car I have ever seen made after 1980. I saw that and said, "On to autotrader" and looked if any of them were for sale around here, but theres nothing within 300 miles. I think I'm going to go check again.

HERES MY DREAM CAR http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=487

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.