Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SoundAdvantage 
#1 ·
Hello guys ! I was just wondering, what's the top speed of a Deville 1994 4.9L ? I never pushed mine to the limit but I really would like to know .... I'm about to race my friend who just got his VR6 in his Jetta and I wanted to know at what speed i shall stop !

Thanks a lot for your help/comments !

Peace !!

#2 ·
VR6...... kid in y school (same grade too) has a VR6 Jetta, claims it can do high 14's in the 1/4 and that it would smoke my car..... I don't know anything about the VW so I guess we will just have to find out one day.

AFA top speed, it will be electronically limited before anything else.....not sure on your car, but proablly anywhere from 105-125 is the normal

#3 ·
The speed limiter kicks in at the speed in which your OEM tires were rated at.... I dont know what that is for a 94 deville right off hand.......

You will have no problem beating the VW..... Even if the limiter does kick in, you will be so far ahead of him you can coast your way to victory!!

#7 · (Edited)
relly? i registred 109 mph , maybe the limiter kicked in at the same time i lifted , too damn big to be goin that fast , good to know where its at , will keep my exploring to a minimum

buddy of mine has a vr6 golf , very very fast , one of the most fun cars ive ever gotten to flog , the deville will have its work cut out for it , i really wouldnt bother , our 94s werent ment to race , there made to relax and enjoy the trip , but if you need to power to pass its sure as hell there

stock vr6s wont run 14s out of the box , they were running similar low 15s to my G20 but with a much beatter off the line time , if memeory serves 3rd gear is a bit tall and it slows em down , but minor mods can bring a vr6 into the 14s , vw had very mild cams in it along with mild ecu tuning , a p chip and cam set brings them to a low 14 second 1/4 mi if i remeber right , at any rate if it has been modded defintaly dont bother

#9 ·
High speed in big, softly-sprung cars is a scarey propostion. When I first removed the top-end limiter on my Caddy, she got REAL "floaty" at about 130mph. But once I replaced the wheels, tires and suspension pieces, she calmed right down and was still rock-solid at 144mph. I haven't explored the top-end beyond that since but I think I "SHOULD" be able to hit 150. I may have to raise my engine speed limiter a tad to do it but I think she just might see 150.

#11 ·
Well thanks a lot for all your answers !! Maybe I won't race my pal then ! His car is way faster ... we hit the 140 in no time ... it's quite impressive ! One thing he doesn't have with his VW ... comfort and style !! :eek:) Now i got to repair my cadillac ... there's an awful sound coming out of somewhere near the engine/transmission when it is cold ... once it's gettin hotter there's no problem ... anyway thanks again !

Peace!!

#12 ·
you must have balls as big as 2 479 pistons man , i couldnt imagine running 150 in a fleetwood , then again i hear there not a far cry from a 90s implala ss , are there any brake upgrades on her?

i cant get over the fleets towing capacity , 7,000 lbs , maybe ill get one to tow my next hotrod with

#13 ·
1. It WOULD take balls (or no brains) to drive a "stock" Fleetwood at those speeds. I did quite a bit of work on my baby to make sure she could handle that speed before I tried it.

2. Yes, they ARE quite similar to the Impala SS. My only brake upgrades so far are high-performance cross-drilled rotors and severe-duty pads. I'm intending to order a Baer Brake upgrade kit soon that SHOULD make a big difference.

3. Rather than TOW your hotrod, it should BE your hotrod ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.