Drums too Disks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Drums too Disks? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 91' Sedan Deville and I have a question. all the cars Ive ever owned had Disk in ...
    MrSmith is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Drums too Disks?

I have a 91' Sedan Deville and I have a question.

all the cars Ive ever owned had Disk in front and rear {brakes} Ive never changed drums before {thats what I now have on the Deville}. Im quite sure that once I get to know it alittle more I can do it with no problem. From what I hear and understand, Disk brakes allow you to stop alot better if you have some on both front and rear. My question is, what procedure would I have to use to change the rear drums to disks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Drums too Disks?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith
    I have a 91' Sedan Deville and I have a question.

all the cars Ive ever owned had Disk in front and rear {brakes} Ive never changed drums before {thats what I now have on the Deville}. Im quite sure that once I get to know it alittle more I can do it with no problem. From what I hear and understand, Disk brakes allow you to stop alot better if you have some on both front and rear. My question is, what procedure would I have to use to change the rear drums to disks?
    There would be little or no point in switching to disc brakes on the rear of a 91 Deville. Unless you are using it on a race track regularily and are putting much larger front brakes on the car (larger disc brake rotors) the rear drum brakes are plenty adequate.

The front brakes on that package do most all of the braking action and carry most all of the load. When stopping hard the weight transfer to the (already) front heavy cars unloads the rear tires sufficiently that more braking action would just lock the tires....not something that is desireable at all.

The car was developed with the brake bias and correct brake capacity for most any situation that you can encounter so switching to disc brakes would be pointless. In addition, the parking brake setup for the car uses the drum brakes and switching to discs would involve engineering a parking brake ssytem for the disc brakes. If the system was switched over then you would also have to do some brake biasing development to get the correct bias from front to rear...

There is really nothing to be gained with modifying to a rear disc setup on that vehicle as it will entail significant mechanical modifications including a new/different master cylinder, quite a bit of development work on the brake balance/bias of the system and will not shorten stopping distances in the least as the current system will easily lock the tires if required.

The car can only stop as fast as the tires will allow so any braking system that can slide the tires will not benefit from more brake force.

Upper level and performance cars use 4 wheel disc systems to add braking capacity for track use and rear wheel drive cars with more rearward weight bias can benefit from more rear braking effort but a 91 Deville is not really applicable to rear discs....that is why they were not OEM equipment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.